Three Months and 2500 Miles

Adnillien

Referral Code K9WIJHB0
Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT
Referral Code
K9WIJHB0
Since I have had my stellar white Air GT with 21”wheels for just over three months it is a good time to post my impressions. This is my first EV. I may have some advantages as an electrical engineer in the semiconductor industry and having designed and installed a couple of off-grid solar installations. Battery care and charging are not new to me.

I am not a car expert but I love a car that is fun to drive. My grandfather taught me to drive in a 1948 Willys CJ when I was 12. The Lucid Air GT is about as opposite as one can get. It won’t go off road but it will do just about anything else.

Nothing compares to the Air design, both interior and exterior. I see and think about this every time I get in it. The materials are of high quality. It looks good and feels good. The design is reserved with a good balance between modern minimalism and functionality. It gets a lot of attention. On the freeway today, the passenger in another car rolled down his window and stuck his head out to get a better look at my Lucid, it was 107 degrees out.

The Air is the best driving car that I have owned. I love flying around corners, looking in the rearview mirror when first at a stoplight no matter what is next to you (yea, the Plaid and Dream Edition are faster but I never see those). Passing a Mclaren on steep winding hill because acceleration is great and it just keeps going no matter how fast you are already going. The Air GT is extremely quick, a whole lot of fun and at the same time very easy and relaxing to drive. As @bunnylobowski said, this car will do any style of driving that you desire and it will do it well.

High regenerative braking is easy to learn and once learned hard to live without. Besides improving efficiency, single peal driving provides a better modulation of acceleration deceleration than you can get with friction brakes and a gas pedal. People who have owned other EVs know this but I needed to experience it for myself to truly appreciate it.

For anyone out there that looks for an excuse to drive their Lucid Air, this feeling does not go away. However, I no longer feel the need to have an excuse. I just go for a drive without pretending there is any reason.

The controls are well laid out with a few exceptions. The steering wheel should extend a little bit further. The steering wheel buttons (not the rotating wheels) have a poor haptic feel. The turn-signal stalk leads to accidentally activating windshield wipers. The lag between pressing the turn-signal and the blind spot camera coming on makes this feature useless for most lane changes. The four screens are intuitive with the most needed controls readily available. Night lighting makes it easy to see the controls while also providing excellent visibility.

The adaptive cruise control is the best I have used. It is very smooth an does not overreact to cars coming into or out of your lane. It quickly detects relative speed to another cars and adjusts correctly.

The car is smooth and quiet although rough asphalt does create some tire noise. The seats are comfortable and massage combined with the sound system keep me in the car for a few minutes after getting home. The surreal sound is awesome. I will take the buggy Tidal interface over SiriusXM DJs promoting their Facebook and Twitter feeds any day. I really like playing any song at any time with just an Alexa command. Did I say that the sound is incredible. On the downside, Tidal does not buffer enough music to handle even short durations without cellular coverage. Using it with spotty cellular coverage is an exercise in futility. I want Apple car play so that I can play from a library on my iPhone outside of good cellular coverage.

I want to take longer trips before commenting on efficiency. The range is more than adequate for a drive from Phoenix to the mountains without worrying about driving conservatively or minimizing the AC. The ability to add 40% to my SOC in 17 minutes without preconditioning the battery amazes me. Unless there is a line at charging stations, DC fast charging is very unlikely to slow down typical road trips.

The navigation system is weak. It does not pick the fastest route nor does it provide an option for an alternate routes. Many others have correctly voiced their disdain for navigation voice prompts and volume.

I have had more than my share of service calls but never a mobile visit. I guess that goes with being 10 minutes from the service center and almost driving past it to and from work. While I may not get to taste the espresso from the machine in the mobile van, I do get a free detail each time they service my car. They do a really great job so I will take this over an espresso. A full list of service visits is below along with a list of software bugs that I have encountered.

Recent issues detract from the driving experience; screen crashes that prevent controlling the AC, drive system warnings with sluggish acceleration and no regen, frunk opening when it should not. I remember a comment from @hmp10 when he was dealing with screen crashes early on and wondering what was not going to work on any particular day. While @hmp10 said it better, not having confidence that important systems will work takes away from enjoying the car.

I will not end this review on a negative tone, my overall summary in one sentence. The car is such a good design and so much fun to drive, I would buy it again in heartbeat.

Service visits:
  • Mar 29: Whistling AC – resolved be actuator recalibration and 1.2.1.
  • April 19: Right rear window inoperative – resolved by plugging it back in after window tint technician unplugged it. Not Lucid’s fault and they did not charge me for the repair which I really appreciate.
  • May 3: False shock and tilt alarms – trouble shooting but not resolved.
  • May 18: False shock and tilt alarms – Replaced frunk latches but did not resolve.
  • June 1: Wiring harness recall Inspection – no issues.
  • June 10: Drive system warning and unexpected frunk opening. This is in the future.
Unresolved issues that may be either hardware or software:
  • Left rear radar error parking next to a building
  • Screen crashes – both right cockpit panel and pilot panel
  • Failure to initiate level 2 charge without valet card reset
  • False shock and tilt alarms
My list of bugs
  • Doors not unlocking with key fob present or immediately re-locking after unlocking.
  • Right cockpit panel display going blank
  • Pilot panel blanking out
  • Failing to initiate a level2 charge
  • Navigation not choosing the fastest route
  • Alexa failing with "Something went wrong" response or no response from Alexa when using either steering wheel button or voice command
  • Tidal blanking out with "No Active Media"
  • Park Assist system errors while backing out of garage
  • Incorrect efficiency calculation - discrepancy between efficiency from last charge and trip calculation
  • Left rear radar error when parking next to a building
  • Switching user profiles in the middle of a drive without user input
  • Drive System warning with sluggish acceleration and no regenerative braking
All bugs and timestamps have been emailed to customer care. I encourage everyone to do this so that Lucid can prioritize updates.

Great write up. How about some feed back on heat generated from the glass roof and windshield and whether the AC system is adequate. Thanks

Since I have had my stellar white Air GT with 21”wheels for just over three months it is a good time to post my impressions. This is my first EV. I may have some advantages as an electrical engineer in the semiconductor industry and having designed and installed a couple of off-grid solar installations. Battery care and charging are not new to me.

I am not a car expert but I love a car that is fun to drive. My grandfather taught me to drive in a 1948 Willys CJ when I was 12. The Lucid Air GT is about as opposite as one can get. It won’t go off road but it will do just about anything else.

Nothing compares to the Air design, both interior and exterior. I see and think about this every time I get in it. The materials are of high quality. It looks good and feels good. The design is reserved with a good balance between modern minimalism and functionality. It gets a lot of attention. On the freeway today, the passenger in another car rolled down his window and stuck his head out to get a better look at my Lucid, it was 107 degrees out.

The Air is the best driving car that I have owned. I love flying around corners, looking in the rearview mirror when first at a stoplight no matter what is next to you (yea, the Plaid and Dream Edition are faster but I never see those). Passing a Mclaren on steep winding hill because acceleration is great and it just keeps going no matter how fast you are already going. The Air GT is extremely quick, a whole lot of fun and at the same time very easy and relaxing to drive. As @bunnylobowski said, this car will do any style of driving that you desire and it will do it well.

High regenerative braking is easy to learn and once learned hard to live without. Besides improving efficiency, single peal driving provides a better modulation of acceleration deceleration than you can get with friction brakes and a gas pedal. People who have owned other EVs know this but I needed to experience it for myself to truly appreciate it.

For anyone out there that looks for an excuse to drive their Lucid Air, this feeling does not go away. However, I no longer feel the need to have an excuse. I just go for a drive without pretending there is any reason.

The controls are well laid out with a few exceptions. The steering wheel should extend a little bit further. The steering wheel buttons (not the rotating wheels) have a poor haptic feel. The turn-signal stalk leads to accidentally activating windshield wipers. The lag between pressing the turn-signal and the blind spot camera coming on makes this feature useless for most lane changes. The four screens are intuitive with the most needed controls readily available. Night lighting makes it easy to see the controls while also providing excellent visibility.

The adaptive cruise control is the best I have used. It is very smooth an does not overreact to cars coming into or out of your lane. It quickly detects relative speed to another cars and adjusts correctly.

The car is smooth and quiet although rough asphalt does create some tire noise. The seats are comfortable and massage combined with the sound system keep me in the car for a few minutes after getting home. The surreal sound is awesome. I will take the buggy Tidal interface over SiriusXM DJs promoting their Facebook and Twitter feeds any day. I really like playing any song at any time with just an Alexa command. Did I say that the sound is incredible. On the downside, Tidal does not buffer enough music to handle even short durations without cellular coverage. Using it with spotty cellular coverage is an exercise in futility. I want Apple car play so that I can play from a library on my iPhone outside of good cellular coverage.

I want to take longer trips before commenting on efficiency. The range is more than adequate for a drive from Phoenix to the mountains without worrying about driving conservatively or minimizing the AC. The ability to add 40% to my SOC in 17 minutes without preconditioning the battery amazes me. Unless there is a line at charging stations, DC fast charging is very unlikely to slow down typical road trips.

The navigation system is weak. It does not pick the fastest route nor does it provide an option for an alternate routes. Many others have correctly voiced their disdain for navigation voice prompts and volume.

I have had more than my share of service calls but never a mobile visit. I guess that goes with being 10 minutes from the service center and almost driving past it to and from work. While I may not get to taste the espresso from the machine in the mobile van, I do get a free detail each time they service my car. They do a really great job so I will take this over an espresso. A full list of service visits is below along with a list of software bugs that I have encountered.

Recent issues detract from the driving experience; screen crashes that prevent controlling the AC, drive system warnings with sluggish acceleration and no regen, frunk opening when it should not. I remember a comment from @hmp10 when he was dealing with screen crashes early on and wondering what was not going to work on any particular day. While @hmp10 said it better, not having confidence that important systems will work takes away from enjoying the car.

I will not end this review on a negative tone, my overall summary in one sentence. The car is such a good design and so much fun to drive, I would buy it again in heartbeat.

Service visits:
  • Mar 29: Whistling AC – resolved be actuator recalibration and 1.2.1.
  • April 19: Right rear window inoperative – resolved by plugging it back in after window tint technician unplugged it. Not Lucid’s fault and they did not charge me for the repair which I really appreciate.
  • May 3: False shock and tilt alarms – trouble shooting but not resolved.
  • May 18: False shock and tilt alarms – Replaced frunk latches but did not resolve.
  • June 1: Wiring harness recall Inspection – no issues.
  • June 10: Drive system warning and unexpected frunk opening. This is in the future.
Unresolved issues that may be either hardware or software:
  • Left rear radar error parking next to a building
  • Screen crashes – both right cockpit panel and pilot panel
  • Failure to initiate level 2 charge without valet card reset
  • False shock and tilt alarms
My list of bugs
  • Doors not unlocking with key fob present or immediately re-locking after unlocking.
  • Right cockpit panel display going blank
  • Pilot panel blanking out
  • Failing to initiate a level2 charge
  • Navigation not choosing the fastest route
  • Alexa failing with "Something went wrong" response or no response from Alexa when using either steering wheel button or voice command
  • Tidal blanking out with "No Active Media"
  • Park Assist system errors while backing out of garage
  • Incorrect efficiency calculation - discrepancy between efficiency from last charge and trip calculation
  • Left rear radar error when parking next to a building
  • Switching user profiles in the middle of a drive without user input
  • Drive System warning with sluggish acceleration and no regenerative braking
All bugs and timestamps have been emailed to customer care. I encourage everyone to do this so that Lucid can prioritize updates.
Nice, honest review. Gotta hope Lucid is reading. Thanks for putting the time in to give us all this level of detailed info.

I should never take a drive after writing a mostly positive review. Here is letter that I just sent to customer care. I am not happy.

Customer Care,

I encountered another false shock and tilt alarm at 4:56PM. Similar situation to prior instances. Level 2 charging, AC set remotely, alarm occurred approaching the car and about 15 feet away. This has happened numerous times and was first reported to Lucid on April 29. When can I expect a resolution?

Second issue was a blank cockpit panel, left and center parts at about 4:58PM. Right cockpit panel and pilot display were active and normal. I was afraid to drive the car in this state but tried to put it into reverse and the rear camera came up on the right cockpit panel and pilot display. Nothing came up on either the left or center cockpit panels. Although I did not drive it, it seemed like it went into reverse and would have backed up. I believe the car is dangerous if it is drivable in that state. I did the turn signal reset (no turn signal audio or indication on the cockpit display). I got out and locked the car and observed the outside turn signals on. After the reset the display was normal.

Third issue was at about 5:33 PM. The right cockpit panel and pilot display were blank except for the Lucid logo and background on the pilot display. The mileage and efficiency since last charge showed dashes instead of numbers, the battery indicator was in miles where I have it set for SOC%.

The screen issues were first reported to Lucid on May 24. The car is becoming un-drivable. I no longer believe that the display issues are software related but rather a hardware issue with my car. I know from the Lucid Owners forum that the screen failures are rare and the only other case was resolved by a hardware change.

I have service scheduled for the drive system warning starting on Friday. I want the display issues resolved at the same time. I will be out of town next week and the service center will have my car all week. I hope and expect that all issues are resolved during that week. The only acceptable answer and action from Lucid is to make sure that happens.

Great write up. How about some feed back on heat generated from the glass roof and windshield and whether the AC system is adequate. Thanks
The AC system is more than adequate for 107. I am still waiting for 118. I have the side windows tinted but not the windshield. The glass ceiling does become very hot to the touch but the transmitted solar heat is OK. I keep the temperature set at 73 or 74 with the vents aimed up and angled toward me. I do not use the defrost trick because I think that would just warm the air from the hot glass rather than cool me. I keep the AC on Auto and make sure that re circulation is set once the car cools down. The fan speed usually runs about 6-7 so it has more when needed. When the car is parked in the sun, I usually start pre-cooling it 5 to 10 minutes before getting into it. All cars get hot when parked in the sun, the Lucid in not any worse than any other car that I have owned.

Ugh! Sorry to hear this. You gave them a clear message. Let us know how it is resolved.

Hm I had my center pilot panel and right upper panel blank out except the lucid symbol on the pilot panel once as well. Not sure what I was doing but while I was driving both those panels seemed to ‘crash’ and try to reset themselves. But they just never fully made it back to life. It was only a one time occurrence (so far!) and after I got out of the car, left the area to run an errand, and then got back into it, all the screens were functioning regularly again.

I’ve also had my recall service completed already by a mobile tech so the recall screen issue shouldn’t be the problem for me

Second issue was a blank cockpit panel, left and center parts at about 4:58PM. Right cockpit panel and pilot display were active and normal.

According to my Service Tech, this is exactly the symptom caused by the wiring harness fault. Only those two screens are affected. You said they have already inspected your harness and found no problem, though?

According to my Service Tech, this is exactly the symptom caused by the wiring harness fault. Only those two screens are affected. You said they have already inspected your harness and found no problem, though?
Yep, the service center inspected that last week and added the ties to keep the harness in place.

I should never take a drive after writing a mostly positive review. Here is letter that I just sent to customer care. I am not happy.

Customer Care,

I encountered another false shock and tilt alarm at 4:56PM. Similar situation to prior instances. Level 2 charging, AC set remotely, alarm occurred approaching the car and about 15 feet away. This has happened numerous times and was first reported to Lucid on April 29. When can I expect a resolution?

Second issue was a blank cockpit panel, left and center parts at about 4:58PM. Right cockpit panel and pilot display were active and normal. I was afraid to drive the car in this state but tried to put it into reverse and the rear camera came up on the right cockpit panel and pilot display. Nothing came up on either the left or center cockpit panels. Although I did not drive it, it seemed like it went into reverse and would have backed up. I believe the car is dangerous if it is drivable in that state. I did the turn signal reset (no turn signal audio or indication on the cockpit display). I got out and locked the car and observed the outside turn signals on. After the reset the display was normal.

Third issue was at about 5:33 PM. The right cockpit panel and pilot display were blank except for the Lucid logo and background on the pilot display. The mileage and efficiency since last charge showed dashes instead of numbers, the battery indicator was in miles where I have it set for SOC%.

The screen issues were first reported to Lucid on May 24. The car is becoming un-drivable. I no longer believe that the display issues are software related but rather a hardware issue with my car. I know from the Lucid Owners forum that the screen failures are rare and the only other case was resolved by a hardware change.

I have service scheduled for the drive system warning starting on Friday. I want the display issues resolved at the same time. I will be out of town next week and the service center will have my car all week. I hope and expect that all issues are resolved during that week. The only acceptable answer and action from Lucid is to make sure that happens.
There will always be glitches--everyone here has history with high-end cars.

But to pay 150k for a car you're afraid to drive is simply unacceptable (There may be ICE equivalents--I can't think of any..)

What's striking is the diversity of these issues: if 15% of all cars had a wiper malfunction that's one thing...but these problems seem (to a layman) totally random, which makes it more scary to me.

So far it's about 7 months out from early deliveries and theses issues seem to be increasing not going away.

Lucid needs a corporate re-boot to establish and maintain confidence in the product and brand

Customer Care,

yikes and the complete lack of updates (except the minor one for fr in Canada) is sorta making me worry. i really hope they fix the random crashes soon.

Someone a long time ago was having issues like this and they ended up replacing the entire floating instrument panel like you said. Hopefully they do that for you.

But to pay 150k for a car you're afraid to drive is simply unacceptable (There may be ICE equivalents--I can't think of any..)
My 2008 Maserati Quattroporte was about that price. Had it for three years. Seven months of that were spent in the shop spread over 20+ visits. No loaners, either. Everything from faulty electronics to transmission problems. Several times I couldn’t use the car at all because the parking brake flatly refused to release. Flatbed. I swear after the first few times my neighbors must’ve been laughing at me. There were times that only one radio station would play and I couldn’t change it. I considered using my lemon law rights but soldiered through. I’m glad it was a lease because the depreciation on those cars is ridiculous. The car was such an absolute pleasure to drive when it was working fine that it made it all worth it.

My 2008 Maserati Quattroporte was about that price. Had it for three years. Seven months of that were spent in the shop spread over 20+ visits. No loaners, either. Everything from faulty electronics to transmission problems. Several times I couldn’t use the car at all because the parking brake flatly refused to release. There were times that only one radio station would play and I couldn’t change it. I considered using my lemon law rights but soldiered. through. The car was such an absolute pleasure to drive when it was working fine that it made it all worth it.
Yeah---I have friend with a similar story--I can only say 2 things: 1) Fourteen years ago. 2) Italian

Last week 45 minutes into a drive both right screens rebooted just like stated above and when they came back online none of the media/music was working with the exception of the AM/FM radio. This also was following the recall inspection and other work I had done on the car. And like above once I left the car in and had time to sleep everything was OK.

Yep, the service center inspected that last week and added the ties to keep the harness in place.

Hmm. My mobile tech said he inspected our harness for signs of fraying. Not seeing them, he added the ties to secure the harness. I'm wondering if your harness connections were already compromised but not yet showing visible fraying.

Lucid Customer Care told me that the failure comes on slowly and that in the early stages the screen blackouts can be resolved through a reboot or will just disappear the next time the car is powered up.

Back