hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
We've had our Lucid Air just over a year now, and we're loving it more rather than less as time marches along. I still look for excuses to climb in for a drive.

However, there are some things that I assumed would be simple-to-implement UI improvements that would have come down the pike by now . . . but haven't:

1. Why can't a music selection be displayed when other screens are up? Why do you have to toggle between "Nav" and "Music" when you want to see the satellite maps and also want to know what music is playing? (Our Tesla displays the music selection in a small corner inset of the screen no matter what other display is up. It's easy to see while interfering with nothing else.)

2. Why is Homelink geofenced to bring up the garage door opening buttons when you approach your garage but is not geofenced to bring up the buttons when you leave the garage? Or even programmable to open a selected door automatically upon approach? (I've had other cars do this.)

We've had our Lucid Air just over a year now, and we're loving it more rather than less as time marches along. I still look for excuses to climb in for a drive.

However, there are some things that I assumed would be simple-to-implement UI improvements that would have come down the pike by now . . . but haven't:

1. Why can't a music selection be displayed when other screens are up? Why do you have to toggle between "Nav" and "Music" when you want to see the satellite maps and also want to know what music is playing? (Our Tesla displays the music selection in a small corner inset of the screen no matter what other display is up. It's easy to see while interfering with nothing else.)

2. Why is Homelink geofenced to bring up the garage door opening buttons when you approach your garage but is not geofenced to bring up the buttons when you leave the garage? Or even programmable to open a selected door automatically upon approach? (I've had other cars do this.)
When you figure out question #2 let us know. :rolleyes:

For point 1, it's largely tied into Android Automotive which only recently allowed for a dual screen setup.

Personally, #1 bothers me less than I thought it would. The most important thing to me is having the play controls on the steering wheel. So I can always pause, skip, rewind when I need to. I tend to listen to full albums and long podcasts, anyway, so I don't really mind not seeing the currently playing info. When full multitasking comes, I'll take it, but for now I can live with it.
Also, I figure we're about a week or so away from CarPlay, which I suspect will solve 99% of all the infotainment-related issues for me instantly. So long as it doesn't crash or require frequent reboots. (Fingers crossed.)

Speaking of which, I think part of the reason some of these smaller things are seeming to take too long is that Lucid still has plumbing to do. The headlight fix is a prime example. They have to prioritize safety issues like that and infrastructure above all else. And they really need to get to the bottom of why updating sometimes seems to leave various systems in a corrupted state.

The constant struggle will always be between cranking out new features quickly and making sure the software hasn't regressed. As some others have pointed out, I'm not sure Lucid has sufficient protocols in place for that just yet. I don't know how big the team is over there, but I get the sense they are working with fewer resources than we may think.

Is there a shortcut that I'm missing to switching audio sources? If I'm in a playlist in Tidal, I have to hit the back button about 6 times to get to the bluetooth option when it's on the cockpit screen. I know they're all along the top of the pilot panel when using that.

Is there a shortcut that I'm missing to switching audio sources? If I'm in a playlist in Tidal, I have to hit the back button about 6 times to get to the bluetooth option when it's on the cockpit screen. I know they're all along the top of the pilot panel when using that.
No. And that part absolutely isn't great. Feels like there should be a toolbar with all the sources you can get to with a single tap from every screen.

Personally, #1 bothers me less than I thought it would. The most important thing to me is having the play controls on the steering wheel. So I can always pause, skip, rewind when I need to. I tend to listen to full albums and long podcasts, anyway, so I don't really mind not seeing the currently playing info.

When I ask Alexa to play songs by a given artist on Tidal, the system will play a few songs by that artist and then begin playing similar music by other artists. I often don't recognize those later songs or the artist and want to know what/who they are. Having to switch menus to find out and then switch back to the earlier display while driving is both annoying and not particularly safe. A quick glance at the screen would be far better.

The bottom line is that our cars still have only beta/release-candidate software, not true production quality. I was hoping that it would only take a year but looks like it will be 6-9 months more.

We know it was the intention as this was on the website in the early days

1654558666132-png.2555

Apparently, multiple apps running on different screens is coming but who knows how far away it is. Given the Nav is using that part of the screen not sure why they can't at least do the music playing as a quick fix until the multiple apps is ready for prime time.

When I ask Alexa to play songs by a given artist on Tidal, the system will play a few songs by that artist and then begin playing similar music by other artists. I often don't recognize those later songs or the artist and want to know what/who they are. Having to switch menus to find out and then switch back to the earlier display while driving is both annoying and not particularly safe. A quick glance at the screen would be far better.
Yeah, for that use case, the little "drawer" type of interface is really handy. I know some cars let you put that sort of stuff in the main display in the center as well. I can envision maybe someday Lucid letting us control what's on the right side of the middle display (where the Air logo currently is) so that you can not only show the "next turn", but music, trip info, etc. And have it be switchable from the steering wheel buttons somehow. That would be super handy.

The car is superb minus some cosmetics/ small quality issues but the software has a a ways to go. Every software update is like a new bday/xmas present. We are all excited to install it and see what is new.

I learned how to find my car using the app. (I wish you knew me...because that is astonishing...I'm in my 70's: I use my smarter phone as a pocket watch...that's it...that's all I know how to do). I spent an hour trying to sign in with those tiny, invisible buttons...and found my car...after wasting my time comparing mapquest with the map on the phone....I realized the address is right there on the phone. I love this! It's in a junkyard behind a chop shop on the edge of a Virginia swamp. I wonder if I will ever see it again?
Well it was a really nice car the few moments I had with it. I have no regrets. This car is by far the most mysterious thing this side of Craz8's wife.

@hmp10 was it not you who reported your car on the way to Havana ? please finish the story...

#2 is such an inconvenience that I'm debating if I should switch to using my garage clicker or start backing into the garage.

I wish home link would just pop up the moment I change from reverse to drive.

Nope, I've had my ups and downs with the software, but my car has never headed anywhere weirder than Alabama.
OK I found it....it was CraZ8 who's car traveled all over S Florida and a brief fling in Havana.

OK I found it....it was CraZ8 who's car traveled all over S Florida and a brief fling in Havana.
Yes I was surprised when I got the car back it was not painted baby blue with a roll and tuck interior installed. Those boys in Havana can do some wonderful things with all of that 50s iron

Back