Test Drive Today in Newport Beach CA

NPN

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT/Red/Tahoe/19"
Finally had a chance to test drive an Air Grand Touring today. My visit lasted a little more than an hour, including around a 30-35 minute drive. It gave me a great overview of the car and all the controls and features. The test drive vehicle in Newport Beach is a white "late pre-production" model (my SA said it is "99.5% of a production model"...) with 21" wheels. For those of you who want to see the Tahoe interior "live", it is beautiful and reinforced my own interior choice for my Zenith Red AGT. I asked about the vehicle software version while we were driving but forgot to follow up and look it up before exiting the vehicle. This was my first time behind the wheel of an EV. I was a little concerned, especially about the "one pedal" driving and regenerative braking. In fact, I adjusted to it quickly and wasn't even thinking about it by the end of the drive. I was watching for a lot of the glitches that have been mentioned on this forum but all doors, trunk, frunk, charger, music, and so on worked well the first time. As we drove, we discussed a number of the issues noted by early owners on this forum. As expected, I was told the company is fully aware and working on them and "wants to make everyone happy". In discussing Android/Apple Car Play in particular, I was told the goal is to release by the end of this year. (Having run a few software companies in my work life, I assured my SA that Lucid will never make everyone happy .... but, hey, it's a great goal.)

In summary, I went into the test drive a bit nervous that I might change my mind and start looking at other EVs. I'm not a "car person" like many of the members of this forum. I chose Lucid because I decided to go EV and it seemed the exciting choice while offering a combination of range and a nice, luxe, and comfortable interior. I came away from the test drive more excited and ready to receive my car sometime in the next few months. The test drive definitely reinforced my decision. I do believe Lucid continues to improve the software through frequent OTA updates and, of course, I hope the company "makes it" financially and stays in business for the long run because this is my most expensive ever vehicle purchase.

One last funny note, when we were driving down Newport Coast Drive toward PCH, we were passed by a red Lucid that was a blur and quickly disappeared out of sight ....

Back