Test Drive Release

I totally disagree. 'Gotta pay to play the game'? Really? Really? A freaking test drive? I have never seen a car manufacturer that doesn't 'allow' you to take a test drive if a tester is available. I absolutely understand if the car is constantly being booked by those further ahead in the reservation process, making the car unavailable. However that's no reason to not 'allow' a reservation holder, further down the line, to take a test drive if the car is available.

If you think requiring the placing of an additional chunk of money down for the 'privilege' of a test drive is a great business practice, you are far more understanding than I. Again, I couldn't disagree with you more. But then again you are far more forgiving of some of the software issues than I would be, so I guess I'm not surprised by your feelings.
Nah, I was just being facetious in that regard. But I don't believe they are saying "You aren't allowed to test drive" more like.."We are prioritizing the GT and Touring reservations first. After that, we will be opening test drive appointments to Pure reservation holders." Who said they weren't "allowing" anyone to test drive?

Agree - it's not like in the movies or TV shows where they control the traffic for the shot. If a leisurely jaunt looking at the coast line is what your wife is looking forward to, then it will be fine. Sometimes, PCH reminds of the road to Hana on Maui in terms of the speed you go and tourists doing crazy things.

I have a Touring reservation. The San Diego studio isn't offering test drives yet but the sales associate was open to me taking a slot as long as there was an opening. GT reservation holders do have priority.
The "Road to Hana" is a good comparison speed wise!!

Nah, I was just being facetious in that regard. But I don't believe they are saying "You aren't allowed to test drive" more like.."We are prioritizing the GT and Touring reservations first. After that, we will be opening test drive appointments to Pure reservation holders." Who said they weren't "allowing" anyone to test drive?
Someone had reported that they were told you had to have confirmed your order to be eligible for a test drive.

Someone had reported that they were told you had to have confirmed your order to be eligible for a test drive.
From what I remember, you are in the NE right? With no studio in the region yet? Why not just wait until test drives are available near you to find out the real story based off your reservation? Or call a studio "near" you and ask about test drives? I think Sad is stuck in San Diego until test drives are available, but we know Beverly Hills is doing them. Costa Mesa would be closer to him though. Same deal, but not entirely sure of the NE area.

From what I remember, you are in the NE right? With no studio in the region yet? Why not just wait until test drives are available near you to find out the real story based off your reservation? Or call a studio "near" you and ask about test drives? I think Sad is stuck in San Diego until test drives are available, but we know Beverly Hills is doing them. Costa Mesa would be closer to him though. Same deal, but not entirely sure of the NE area.
Yes, I'm on Long Island and have already visited the Manhattan studio. Unfortunately there are no test drives being performed there. So yes, I'll have no choice but to wait for the Manhasset location to open and then see what the situation is.

I missed this comment earlier. This is incorrect. The judges drove a prototype GT, not a DE. Quoting the MT COTY article:
"We only evaluated a Grand Touring model, but we also sat in a Touring variant with the smaller battery pack and roomier rear footwells, and judges considered the entire lineup, which will add an entry-level Air Pure model"
That's weird, I'll have to look at it again because I thought it said Lucid Air Dream was car of the year.

Edit: I looked at it again they have a hodge podge of stats from both Dream and AGT in article.

@Lucken and @hydbob Unless it changed in the past week or so, Scottsdale still has the policy where you need to have a confirmed reservation to test drive. While that made sense in early mid-December when they first got the car, it probably makes less sense in mid-January. Presumably, any AGT confirmed reservation holder would have had the opportunity to do a test drive. I guess if they are continuing to send out invitations to confirm every two weeks, then maybe I could understand a little bit more, but I really don't get the sense that they have an inundation of reservation requests. It's steady but not overwhelming, I think.

Having said that, if I were Lucid, I'd look at my reservation data and try to determine an approach that opens it up more without overwhelming the shop. While the test drive is around 15-20 minutes, the whole process takes about an hour, so you likely need some protocol (e.g. type of car reserved, order placed, etc) to make it more manageable until you have better information and can adjust again. But for now, I would tend to agree that there should be a way to open it up a bit more.

As an aside, it was interesting to find out that though it's not open as an official service center, the Scottsdale service center is being used to prep DEs for deliveries to 6 states I believe.

@Lucken and @hydbob Unless it changed in the past week or so, Scottsdale still has the policy where you need to have a confirmed reservation to test drive. While that made sense in early mid-December when they first got the car, it probably makes less sense in mid-January. Presumably, any AGT confirmed reservation holder would have had the opportunity to do a test drive. I guess if they are continuing to send out invitations to confirm every two weeks, then maybe I could understand a little bit more, but I really don't get the sense that they have an inundation of reservation requests. It's steady but not overwhelming, I think.

Having said that, if I were Lucid, I'd look at my reservation data and try to determine an approach that opens it up more without overwhelming the shop. While the test drive is around 15-20 minutes, the whole process takes about an hour, so you likely need some protocol (e.g. type of car reserved, order placed, etc) to make it more manageable until you have better information and can adjust again. But for now, I would tend to agree that there should be a way to open it up a bit more.

As an aside, it was interesting to find out that though it's not open as an official service center, the Scottsdale service center is being used to prep DEs for deliveries to 6 states I believe.
Is confirmed reservation that you have already put down the $1000 non refundable? Or just that you have an order in and are waiting on next steps?

Which studios currently have cars available for test drives? Scottsdale and some of the California studios only? Anything east of the Mississippi?
I have an AGT reservation, confirmed in mid December. I have not seen a car in person. I will not take delivery without a test drive.
I am in Erie, PA, and will have to take a plane trip to get to a Lucid studio anyway. Temperatures are in single digits and I shoveled 20" of snow away from my grill yesterday. Maybe a trip somewhere warm wouldn't be so bad.

Which studios currently have cars available for test drives? Scottsdale and some of the California studios only? Anything east of the Mississippi?
I have an AGT reservation, confirmed in mid December. I have not seen a car in person. I will not take delivery without a test drive.
I am in Erie, PA, and will have to take a plane trip to get to a Lucid studio anyway. Temperatures are in single digits and I shoveled 20" of snow away from my grill yesterday. Maybe a trip somewhere warm wouldn't be so bad.
For sure, Beverly Hills and San Jose?

Come on down to Scottsdale, its warm and there is always a car in the design studio...Just don't tie up a tee time that I want.

And, in response to another question...at the design studio they told me that once I got the confirmation email, I could do a test drive either before or after confirming. So one can drive a Lucid before committing to the purchase.

West Palm Beach is offering test drives although their car is a pre production GT with serious software issues. But you can experience the drive itself which is exhilarating. If you want to get on the highway, you need to tell them up front. I've been to Erie many times and getting out of there this time of year would be a high priority of mine!

Is confirmed reservation that you have already put down the $1000 non refundable? Or just that you have an order in and are waiting on next steps?
Confirmed is that you have put down the $1000 and made it non-refundable.

Come on down to Scottsdale, its warm and there is always a car in the design studio...Just don't tie up a tee time that I want.

And, in response to another question...at the design studio they told me that once I got the confirmation email, I could do a test drive either before or after confirming. So one can drive a Lucid before committing to the purchase.
See this makes sense, they are just working down the list and doing it in batches. What's the problem with that?

Apologies...Yes, that's true as well. If you get the email and are on the fence, you can test drive before committing the $$ to non-refundable.

Apologies...Yes, that's true as well. If you get the email and are on the fence, you can test drive before committing the $$ to non-refundable.
This is all a big nothing burger then. Wait until you get your confirmation e-mail to test drive. As simple as that! Now if you want to jump the queue...maybe call up the studio and say, I'm considering changing my order to a GT...

West Palm Beach is offering test drives although their car is a pre production GT with serious software issues. But you can experience the drive itself which is exhilarating. If you want to get on the highway, you need to tell them up front. I've been to Erie many times and getting out of there this time of year would be a high priority of mine!
We have great summers, but the winters... You know its a little twisted when root to win this contest https://goldensnowglobe.com/current-top-10-snowiest-cities/

So sounds like Scottsdale, West Palm Beach, or California. Decisions, decisions...
Thanks for the feedback.

I’m heading to LA for a few weeks in April. Is Beverly Hills the closest studio to Arcadia and do they offer test drives? I read that Lucid applied for a studio in Pasadena. I guess it’s to access the little old lady market?

Back