Tesla v.s Lucid steering & console

Grnr92663

Cars
Touring + R1S
So now that Musk invented the round steering wheels, many Plaid owners will have chance to upgrade from the yoke for $700...

At least the yoke - though not ideal for everyday driving, looks a bit more futuristic. The round version doesn't look fit for $140K car.

My aunt/uncle got rid of the S-LR because the yoke & stalkless caused them so much mishaps during the 10 months they owned it.

jc6Di9l.jpg

That new steering wheel from Tesla looks like a Playskool training wheel for toddlers.

Lucid's wheel, especially the flat grip at the bottom, is nearly perfect and very comfortable. I can never drive a vehicle without the flat open area on the bottom of a wheel again. The few times I've used our Forester since getting the Air, I constantly jam my fingers by mistake into the blocked off area that is open on the Luicd. It's a very natural resting position.

I'm okay with minimalism, but there are limits to it. Apple manages to be fairly minimal in its hardware designs while still retaining elegance. I felt like earlier Tesla designs balanced that okay, too. The original Model S interior was pretty nice. Even the original 3 interior I don't mind, even though it's rather sparse.

I fear in the endless pursuit of cutting costs, Tesla is taking it way too far lately. This steering wheel is a fine example. It looks like an unfinished prototype.

I never got comfortable with the yoke and ended up selling the Plaid after 9 months of ownership. You can now purchase a plaid with either the yoke or a round steering wheel. The truth is =, no matter what wheel Tesla installs the Model S can't match the driving dynamics of the Lucid Air.

I initially didn't like the look of the Lucid steering wheel 2 spoke design with the open bottom, I thought it looked too "Buick", but after spending time with it I love it. It's a great hand rest on the highway.

I had an S with the yoke previously and really liked how wide and flat the bottom was for resting my hands on, but didn't like turning with the yoke. I feel like Lucid nailed a good in-between option.

My neighbor just bought a Y and we were out driving each other's cars this Saturday and this was his main complaint as he felt that his hands were at an uncomfortable angle in the Y when trying to rest them on the bottom of the 3 spoke steering wheel on longer drives.

I initially didn't like the look of the Lucid steering wheel 2 spoke design with the open bottom, I thought it looked too "Buick", but after spending time with it I love it. It's a great hand rest on the highway.

I had an S with the yoke previously and really liked how wide and flat the bottom was for resting my hands on, but didn't like turning with the yoke. I feel like Lucid nailed a good in-between option.

My neighbor just bought a Y and we were out driving each other's cars this Saturday and this was his main complaint as he felt that his hands were at an uncomfortable angle in the Y when trying to rest them on the bottom of the 3 spoke steering wheel on longer drives.
I agree with your neighbor. I hate steering wheels that do not allow you to hold the wheel at 6 o’clock. BUT, this most likely is done on purpose. If held at 6 o’clock, there is no torque on the wheel, leading to difficulty in the car senses a hand on the steering wheel. In my Model S, I get frequent “alarms” unless I grasp the wheel eccentrically.

This really is a safety issue. Lucid got it right. It's not just yoke vs wheel, but also the removal of turn signal stalk on the Tesla.

When making a 3 point turn, it is distracting to have to use the steering wheel turn signal control on the Tesla, regardless of yoke or wheel.

• Hmm
Reactions: DBV
I'm okay with minimalism, but there are limits to it. Apple manages to be fairly minimal in its hardware designs while still retaining elegance. I felt like earlier Tesla designs balanced that okay, too. The original Model S interior was pretty nice. Even the original 3 interior I don't mind, even though it's rather sparse.

I fear in the endless pursuit of cutting costs, Tesla is taking it way too far lately. This steering wheel is a fine example. It looks like an unfinished prototype.
This is what happens when there isn’t a healthy balance in leadership anymore 👀

Back