Tesla supercharging and Lucid

Bill55

Verified Owner
Cars
Sapphire - Dream Edition
DE Number
Pretty dopey take, if you ask me. Typical Tesla propaganda.

Pretty dopey take, if you ask me. Typical Tesla propaganda.
Perhaps. I guess we will see when Lucids start charging at Tesla DC stations. A lot of complaints on the forum about what the Lucid pulls from EA. Easy to point the finger at EA, I have on many occasions. Almost every time I have had a problem at EA, other EVs are charging with no problems.

Oh, I do think Lucid has a charging problem with EA. But that’s a different thing from this Tesla stuff.

Tesla has ancient, low-voltage chargers to power their outdated cars. And somehow the story is Lucid’s cars can’t charge fast enough on these outdated systems?

The issue I have with Tesla is that everything is always someone else’s fault with them. And their fans always push that narrative.

Oh, I do think Lucid has a charging problem with EA. But that’s a different thing from this Tesla stuff.

Tesla has ancient, low-voltage chargers to power their outdated cars. And somehow the story is Lucid’s cars can’t charge fast enough on these outdated systems?

The issue I have with Tesla is that everything is always someone else’s fault with them. And their fans always push that narrative.
Lucid 900V architecture is definitely awesome. It's all about the current (AMPs). Tesla Super Charger stations are 480V and max out at 250kW. EA stations are 800V and max out at 350kW. What will the Lucid pull from Tesla SC remains to be seen. Even with pre conditioning, I've not experienced much over 200kW for any appreciable amount of time. That's with over 40 EA charge sessions where the battery was at a state of charge where the theoretical max was over 200.

C8EDF760-A6FB-4A25-A5B0-2797467C1F86.jpeg

I gave it a try a couple of weeks ago but the Tesla cables are so short you have to park sideways and take up three spots. Tried it for a few minutes just to see what it was like (got 44kW starting at 58% SoC) then moved to the EA/EVolveNY stations you see in the background where I got 98kW starting at 60% SoC). Given the short cables and slow speed, I doubt many non Tesla drivers would use a SC unless they were really desperate.

View attachment 10717
I gave it a try a couple of weeks ago but the Tesla cables are so short you have to park sideways and take up three spots. Tried it for a few minutes just to see what it was like (got 44kW starting at 58% SoC) then moved to the EA/EVolveNY stations you see in the background where I got 98kW starting at 60% SoC). Given the short cables and slow speed, I doubt many non Tesla drivers would use a SC unless they were really desperate.
Anyone with a fast charging car will have to wait for Tesla’s gen 4 chargers for any ounce of reasonable usage. Longer cables and finally higher voltage.

View attachment 10717
How was the cost compared to other public chargers? And what was required for setup? app download or something?

Perhaps. I guess we will see when Lucids start charging at Tesla DC stations. A lot of complaints on the forum about what the Lucid pulls from EA. Easy to point the finger at EA, I have on many occasions. Almost every time I have had a problem at EA, other EVs are charging with no problems.
ditto

That's the first charging location I've seen with Tesla and CCS chargers together. Are they common? The area also looks residential. Were there food/restroom facilities nearby?

That's the first charging location I've seen with Tesla and CCS chargers together. Are they common? The area also looks residential. Were there food/restroom facilities nearby?
I believe NY is the only place to have the magic dock currently (they could’ve expanded) and it was only a couple locations in NY as well.

Most drivers on road trips want food and restroom access at charging stopovers. I'm wondering if providers are putting some charging stations in locations lacking those facilities.

There are a handful of Magic Dock equipped (CCS) Tesla Superchargers around New York State, and a couple in northern California. They are on V3 superchargers, which can operate only to 500V. I'm expecting that Tesla will roll out their V4 dispensers (longer cable) and v4 power cabinets (1000 max output) before they install many more Magic Docks.

Tesla can't get federal NEVI money for these v3 Magic Dock locations, as NEVI requires 920V minimum compatibility. It also requires contactless credit cars payment terminals, which Tesla does not have and has pushed back against. So it's still possible that Tesla will install no more Magic Docks at all. Or it could install them without the benefit of NEVI funding.

Some detail on what Tesla opening DC fast chargers to CCS means for Lucid owners.
The author is clearly not an electrical engineer if he thinks that using the rear drive motor for voltage conversion is just a matter of software. Likely well patent-protected, it's also just a band-aid for Tesla's older hardware.

How was the cost compared to other public chargers? And what was required for setup? app download or something?
If memory serves it was 0.49 per kW. Pretty simple process using the Tesla app. You initiate using the app to unlock a particular charger then plug in. You have a have a payment method set up in your Tesla account.

That’s Hancock, NY along route 17. Very small town. You have to walk a little bit to get to food or restrooms. The EVolve and Tesla chargers are actually located in the town hall parking lot behind the school bus garage. Odd location but I’m guessing availability of power might have had something to do with it.

Tesla supercharger pricing varies by site, and often by time-of-day. In CA, in general, Superchargers are more expensive than EA's "Pass+" cost of $0.36/kWh.

Kyle Connor explained again…

Back