• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Tesla removed Ultrasonic sensors and replaces with Tesla Vision

I'm selling my Tesla stock this week. After watching Musk retweet a conspiracy theory about the attack on Paul Pelosi, see him say his daughter has been brainwashed by the "full on communism" taught in American colleges and universities, and listen to him opine that Ukraine ought to seek a settlement based on Russia's keeping the territory it recently seized and that Taiwan ought to submit to China overlordship based on the Hong Kong accord (which China has violated), I've had enough of his authoritarian, neo-fascist crap.

The Tesla we have now will be the last product we buy from any Musk enterprise, and I want no further association with his brands in any way, shape, or form. Of course, that means I'll miss out on the trip to Mars, but I've managed to live without his equally vaporous full self driving.
Curious if you are going to sell your Plaid as well?

Time will tell. Tesla does have sensor data collected from probably millions of hours of driving and super-computers to analyze it. As an engineer, I would always like a variety of sensors but who knows?
No amount of data in the cloud can compensate for lack of lidar, radar and ultrasonic sensors. Each can see something the other cannot. I can think of only 1 reason for Tesla to rely only on cameras. Cost cutting.

No amount of data in the cloud can compensate for lack of lidar, radar and ultrasonic sensors. Each can see something the other cannot. I can think of only 1 reason for Tesla to rely only on cameras. Cost cutting.
Could not agree more.

Curious if you are going to sell your Plaid as well?

We're in a dilemma about that. The only thing I would want to replace it with is a Sapphire, and I'm still on the fence about that. Blue has always been my least favorite color, and I have always preferred light interior palettes. While I find the blue paint of the Sapphire fairly attractive, I just can't get past the dark interior and its bright blue screens. It's odd, but I have fallen in love with the Santa Monica interior in a way I have never done with any other car. And I still don't like the boy racer vibe of the Sapphire. I'm hugely tempted by the Sapphire's performance, but I'd prefer to have that much power hidden in a more subtle package. And our Dream Edition hasn't exactly left me pining for more. (We don't drive the Plaid any more aggressively than the Air -- especially with the Plaid's cruder handling and that bizarre yoke -- and I doubt that would change with a Sapphire.)

We have even considered swapping the Plaid for a Sapphire and keeping the Dream Edition, especially now that the software has moved to a much higher and more stable plane that allows us to trust the car on a road trip. But that just seems weird.

Ah, to have lived to be confronted by such dilemmas . . . .

Back