Tesla opens up port for everyone to use

HC_79

Referral Code AWNJLGKT
Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
AWNJLGKT
I think this has come a little late but interesting they decide to do this now…..

Because they are excluded from the recent EV incentives. Since only they currently use the connector, they need a 2nd manufacturer to adopt it to unlock the funds for the government.
It is a much nicer connector than the larger CCS ones though..

Yes, it’s nicer but I’ve seen numerous stories that’s it’s not the greatest at delivering high speeds with people putting damp cloths on the handle to get it to deliver consistent high power.

If it could do 1mw of charging capability then why did Tesla design a different connector for the trick?

Yes, it’s nicer but I’ve seen numerous stories that’s it’s not the greatest at delivering high speeds with people putting damp cloths on the handle to get it to deliver consistent high power.

If it could do 1mw of charging capability then why did Tesla design a different connector for the trick?
Interesting, I only had a MS which capped my speed at 200 kW, I never experienced those issues, but I also didn’t have the M3 which could charge faster.

Love the naming: "North American Charging Standard". Maybe if they repeat it enough it will become true.

someone correct me if i'm reading this wrong but it looks like they are gaming the system to get funds for new super chargers? they opened up (whatever that means) their charging ports and the onus is on other car manufacturers to make an adapter? what about software? are they going to let other manufacturers use their SC once they built support for this or will it stay software locked like today?

someone correct me if i'm reading this wrong but it looks like they are gaming the system to get funds for new super chargers? they opened up (whatever that means) their charging ports and the onus is on other car manufacturers to make an adapter? what about software? are they going to let other manufacturers use their SC once they built support for this or will it stay software locked like today?
Just a money grab from Tesla to try and get the federal funds.

Just a money grab from Tesla to try and get the federal funds.
Someone on my favorite source of verified facts (Twitter) said that the federal bill specifically requires the CCS connector.

Am I reading and interpreting this correctly?

Tesla calls their charging interface “North America Charging Standard”, releasing its patent to ask EA, ChargePoint and EVgo to have those interface installed in their stations and ask all future EV can use their NACS in their car to use their supercharger network?

Someone on my favorite source of verified facts (Twitter) said that the federal bill specifically requires the CCS connector.
“Section 680.106(c) proposes a requirement that DCFCs connect and communicate with EVs through an industry standard charging port type called the Combined Charging System (CCS). The CCS port is a non-proprietary, accepted standard port in North America developed and endorsed by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). The CCS connectors are proposed for all DCFCs to accommodate a baseline of vehicles and to accommodate use of adapters that will provide EV charging for all vehicles. ”

“Section 680.106(c) proposes a requirement that DCFCs connect and communicate with EVs through an industry standard charging port type called the Combined Charging System (CCS). The CCS port is a non-proprietary, accepted standard port in North America developed and endorsed by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). The CCS connectors are proposed for all DCFCs to accommodate a baseline of vehicles and to accommodate use of adapters that will provide EV charging for all vehicles. ”
Interesting, it almost reads like CCS is the "North American Charging Standard". Strange that Tesla named theirs the same thing. :)

Having had two Teslas over the past 11 years I would welcome the opportunity to be able to charge at one of their super chargers. For all the negativity that Musk draws he has to be commended on being the one responsible for bringing EV's to the forefront and it has been his network of super chargers that have done this. I hope that a new tesla tap will be forthcoming to allow Lucid and other EV's the ability to charge at a Tesla Supercharger as this would certainly help to eliminate charging anxiety when taking long trips. I think it will take years for Electrify America or EVGo to come close to Tesla's network and in the interim we would have the ability to charge if needed

Having had two Teslas over the past 11 years I would welcome the opportunity to be able to charge at one of their super chargers. For all the negativity that Musk draws he has to be commended on being the one responsible for bringing EV's to the forefront and it has been his network of super chargers that have done this. I hope that a new tesla tap will be forthcoming to allow Lucid and other EV's the ability to charge at a Tesla Supercharger as this would certainly help to eliminate charging anxiety when taking long trips. I think it will take years for Electrify America or EVGo to come close to Tesla's network and in the interim we would have the ability to charge if needed
I wondering if we charge at Supercharging station with Tesla tap, how do we pay?

It would be good to be able to charge at a Tesla station. Will non-Teslas need to buy an adapter? Hope they figure out how to make plug and charge work seamlessly.

I wondering if we charge at Supercharging station with Tesla tap, how do we pay?
Through Tesla's app. It's been done this way in Europe for some years.

It would be good to be able to charge at a Tesla station. Will non-Teslas need to buy an adapter? Hope they figure out how to make plug and charge work seamlessly.
That's the big question - will Tesla's upcoming V4 supercharger have a 1000V CCS connector? Or just the new 1000V Tesla connector and we need to buy an adapter.

Back