NACS or CCS?

• NACS

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • CCS

Votes: 20 32.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I guess they both had the same idea as me, it was the first day it was open to CCS cars (I think Kyle's dad went there in the middle of the night last night and was the first person to charge a CCS car on Tesla V3). It was rather funny pulling up and seeing Marques filming already and then Tom pulls up 10 minutes later. I gotta say the Lightning is pretty impressive in terms of overall capability. It's a true truck that can do damn near anything, it can power your house, it can charge your other EV, BlueCruise ADAS is currently better than most ADAS out there. The only downside is the car itself actually doesn't display the kW speed as you're charging which is weird, and of course the efficiency is terrible. Tom told me he got 1.7mi/kwh on the way there. It was 30F, and I got 3.6 mi/kwh! I was doing it as a 70mph range test, here's the pic to prove it. This was taken before I started pre-conditioning the battery so it was about 20 miles short of where the charger was at. It's a reminder of how awesome this car is, I literally got more than double the efficiency as the Lightning. Tom commented on how much he loves the Lucid and how blown away by it he was when he did his range test.

Just saw you pull in at the Tesla Super Charger on Marques video!

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 6.03.32 PM.png

Here's a link to the video :

Yeah so here’s my experience charging the Lucid on a Tesla supercharger at Brewster NY this AM: the cables are too short! Your only option is to pull in sideways and block 3 chargers, or find a spot that allows side parking, which luckily there was one free as you can see in my pic that @hydbob posted. When I pulled up, Marques Brownlee was there in his cool red silk Rivian, I think he got 120kw? Super nice guy, he showed me how to get it working on the Tesla app. It’s pretty intuitive to set up once you pick the charger and put in your credit card. You have to push the Tesla dock inwards on the charger like a ball-point pen, then it pops out with the CCS adapter attached. Then you plug in and that’s it, super easy, worked quickly on the first try. That part was a nice contrast to EA. While I was there Tom Moloughney pulled up in his Lightning to make a video, so we all chatted about the Rivian and Lightning, he also could barely plug the lightning in, he actually had to touch his bumper to the post to get it to reach so I gave him my spot after I had got enough juice to get back home. Tom was also a super nice guy and made a little clip with me and the Lucid so maybe that will end up in whatever he posts. Suffice it to say, there’s no reason to use the Tesla V3 charger unless you’re out of faster options. It’s also .43/kWh, the most expensive option for the slowest experience. 👎 I think Tesla owners also are not going to be very welcoming…
Here’s Markus’s Rivian and Tom’s Lightning.
Maybe I missed it, but how much charge did you get with the supercharger? And how much slower was it compared to a regular EA charge? Hopefully it would only be a back up until the free charging finishes anyway, but at least it is a reliable option if available. Looked on the Tesla website and there were only 12-15 sites in New York and California, but no where else. They do have an option to single out CCS available chargers though.

Maybe I missed it, but how much charge did you get with the supercharger? And how much slower was it compared to a regular EA charge? Hopefully it would only be a back up until the free charging finishes anyway, but at least it is a reliable option if available. Looked on the Tesla website and there were only 12-15 sites in New York and California, but no where else. They do have an option to single out CCS available chargers though.
You can only get 50kW from a V1-V3 Supercharger, and that's if you can get the cable to reach. These units are not compliant with federal NEVI requirements for CCS-funded stations. Better to just find a Chargepoint 62.5kW station instead. My guess is that these early Tesla CCS sites are just a very limited test and that Tesla will roll out compliant CCS charging with their V4 superchargers.

Supposedly the Tesla V4 chargers are a 1000 volts which will work will for all cars with 800V or more architecture. For federal funding the chargers have to be 920V minimum so Lucid will be able to charge without the DC to DC conversion.
Will they have longer cords?

I added 23kw and cost me $11.27. Max speed was 48kw. I arrived at 38% SOC preconditioned. I only wanted to add enough to get me back home to Rhode Island since it was so slow.

Cool.
Your car needs a car wash soon!
Not joking, I washed it 4 days ago. And then it snowed 2 days ago. And then if I wash it tomorrow it will be guaranteed to snow or rain the day after. This is the reality of owning a car in New England. I view it as saltPPF, a protective layer that keeps other things away haha.

Not joking, I washed it 4 days ago. And then it snowed 2 days ago. And then if I wash it tomorrow it will be guaranteed to snow or rain the day after. This is the reality of owning a car in New England. I view it as saltPPF, a protective layer that keeps other things away haha.
Don't envy you.
Had my share in the NE so I know exactly what you mean.

Same here. I wash the car at least twice a week. And then it always snows again a few days later.

Same here. I wash the car at least twice a week. And then it always snows again a few days later.
Well, then stop washing the car and it will stop snowing! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back