Tesla benchmarking Lucid

mnewber1

Cars
Air Touring
DE Number
There have been a number of companies spotted benchmarking the Lucid... I know it would be nearly impossible, but I would think Lucid would make at least some effort to keep their car out of the competitors hands. I'm not encouraging Peter Rawlinson to play dirty tricks, but... How about a quick Google search to make sure someone buying the car isn't an employee of Tesla, Ford, GM, etc.? Or have a disclosure that says the buyer is getting the vehicle for personal use only. Even better, and I would probably do this (not kidding, but I can be a jerk), if I found out they were benchmarking the car, I would send an OTA signal to "brick" the car, or turtle mode, or error messages... they would have to call and I would have the car brought to a service center and then delay, delay, delay. I would keep the car in "service for repairs" for months and then return it with listening devices, trackers, and program the computer to give all kinds of false data. I mean, it's not totally a malignant thing to do, and a little corporate gamesmanship seems fair to protect their proprietary tech.

haha @ the comments sections

There have been a number of companies spotted benchmarking the Lucid... I know it would be nearly impossible, but I would think Lucid would make at least some effort to keep their car out of the competitors hands. I'm not encouraging Peter Rawlinson to play dirty tricks, but... How about a quick Google search to make sure someone buying the car isn't an employee of Tesla, Ford, GM, etc.? Or have a disclosure that says the buyer is getting the vehicle for personal use only. Even better, and I would probably do this (not kidding, but I can be a jerk), if I found out they were benchmarking the car, I would send an OTA signal to "brick" the car, or turtle mode, or error messages... they would have to call and I would have the car brought to a service center and then delay, delay, delay. I would keep the car in "service for repairs" for months and then return it with listening devices, trackers, and program the computer to give all kinds of false data. I mean, it's not totally a malignant thing to do, and a little corporate gamesmanship seems fair to protect their proprietary tech.
Yea, no, the protection is in the form of patents. They will benchmark the car, tear it down, and then look for any copyright/patent infringement and then sue Lucid if they find something. That is the name of the game

All it takes is a regular buyer lending the car to Tesla for testing. Not that hard to find, I bet. And you’re not bricking a real customer’s car, for obvious reasons.

All it takes is a regular buyer lending the car to Tesla for testing. Not that hard to find, I bet. And you’re not bricking a real customer’s car, for obvious reasons.
but then, they violated the personal use only clause, and BAM... the car is a brick, sorry sucker, shouldn't have sold-out... 🤣
JK'ing... no, I am aware it would be virtually impossible to prevent, but a little game-play if I found out about it... send them weird error alerts, send an OTA that reverts to software version 1.0 and limits the range and acceleration while pumping out bad data... I am so devious!

Can't stop Tesla from acquiring a Lucid. I love my DEP but a 250 k wire transfer to my bank account and my DEP is their DEP.

I'm not surprised by this and an EQS was also spotted at Fremont in the early days as well. I wouldn't be surprised with the love\hate relationship Elon and Peter seem to have that Tesla will be looking to make sure nothing proprietary to Tesla made its way to the car given Peter is a former exec and worked on the Model S.

I hope Sandy Munro does a teardown at some point.

but then, they violated the personal use only clause, and BAM... the car is a brick, sorry sucker, shouldn't have sold-out... 🤣
JK'ing... no, I am aware it would be virtually impossible to prevent, but a little game-play if I found out about it... send them weird error alerts, send an OTA that reverts to software version 1.0 and limits the range and acceleration while pumping out bad data... I am so devious!

No such clause. My car, I can lend it to literally anyone I want.

Have you watched Super Pumped on showtime? You’d like it, though maybe for the wrong reasons, haha

JK'ing... no, I am aware it would be virtually impossible to prevent, but a little game-play if I found out about it... send them weird error alerts, send an OTA that reverts to software version 1.0 and limits the range and acceleration while pumping out bad data... I am so devious
I don't agree with the Teslarati comment that the Lucid is a lot more expensive than the Plaid. My DEP cost me 23k more than the Plaid and got a car that . goes 100 miles further, has better interior, soft closing doors, better creature comfort, it's noticeably quieter, has a superior all around chassis, charges faster, and has better service. Not bad for 23k

23k is 23k, your point is that it's worth it and it is because I'd rather have all that other stuff than 0.5 seconds less 0-60 time that I won't use more than a handful of times.

They (Tesla) may only looking for something only vaguely touches on patent infringement just to justify a lawsuit that won't be immediately thrown out. This is one area where the British/European legal system got things right. They can require the plaintiff to put an amount in escrow that approximates the defendant's legal costs in case they lose. It helps prevent a lot of frivolous lawsuits.

In the early days of the luxury vehicle era, my wife didn't want us to buy cars that, subjectively, were obviously copycats of the technology that someone else had spent significantly on the R&D.

No such clause. My car, I can lend it to literally anyone I want.

Have you watched Super Pumped on showtime? You’d like it, though maybe for the wrong reasons, haha
I will watch that show. Typically I hate corporate hi-jinks, particularly because it's most often to the harm of people and society. But when they want to play games amongst themselves, to the benefit of consumers, then I'm all for it. One of the reasons I love Lucid and Peter Rawlinson, is that while they do want to be profitable successful company they do not want to do that to the detriment of people or the environment. That's important to me... as opposed to that CEO of Tesla, what's his name, who is a real twit.

23k is 23k, your point is that it's worth it and it is because I'd rather have all that other stuff than 0.5 seconds less 0-60 time that I won't use more than a handful of times.
My point is that if one adds the cost of the added battery and for the rest on my list, the price difference is not as large as it seems at first glance.

Sandy Munro does this everyday and then he sells his findings to any car company. So no big deal

Back