System Fault and Service Response

Ah, didn't recall that was there... thanks!
On my app it also says that this is for only when a "recognized key" isn't present, which would not seem to match the case of the car being delivered back from service (I'd assume they had a key)...
sorry, but I feel confused here, perhaps I'm just not following the story correctly...
Youll still get the notifications, but the poor tow truck driver won’t have flashing lights 😂

I’m going to throw my two cents in here. If you look across the EV spectrum, pretty much all new EVs regardless of price point have been having minor and major issues. I think there was just some huge Ioniq5 recall? Maybe the EQS is a problem free car, but based on Mercedes track record, in spite of being the car maker with the most experience building cars on the planet, those $100K plus cars break often. In fact the more expensive ones appear to break more than the cheaper ones (compare C class reliability to S class). And Lucid is in year one and version one of their car.

My car is in service after getting turtle mode near the end of a road trip, and I’m blaming a bad EVGo charger for it. Lucid service called me back literally within 60 seconds of texting them, got us a Lyft back home, towed the car. I got a rental which they will reimburse me for. They believe they’ve found the problem which is pretty complex, and the parts are on the way. Interestingly enough, my car just had its 12k mile service 3 days before this happened and everything checked out and I had zero problems at all. The nature of this car being version 1 and EVs in general being so new (aside from Tesla) is that it’s literally impossible for Lucid to have perfected the car yet, because the parts suppliers and charging infrastructure and batteries and the whole damn thing is still a work in progress. So I’m not mad at them that my expensive car stranded me, because they quickly got me alternate transportation and went so far as to put an oscilloscope on every circuit possibly involved in the problem to diagnose it, and are even replacing some parts that may not actually be faulty out of an abundance of caution and being thorough. That takes time, costs money, etc, but that’s the right way to do it. And when there hasn’t been any new news to communicate, they haven’t communicated any, nor would I want them to, because I want them to spend their very limited time instead on other people’s cars also, and they can tell me when they have news to update me with. Mass producing and then mass servicing these vehicles is a gargantuan undertaking, and in my view when you look at where Lucid was in February of 2022, there was a fraction of the service centers and staff, etc, the software was was a gremlin factory, and because only a small handful of cars were on the road, problems that could show up with longer use/abuse had not revealed themselves yet.

While it sucks balls to not have your awesome car you paid for cuz it broke, it’s not like Lucid doesn’t care, and isn’t actively working on trying to improve. If they didn’t they wouldn’t be implementing tons of technical service bulletins at no cost to you, and revising their hardware, nor would they be expanding their service centers. While I can’t wait to get my car back, I don’t see how stomping my feet about how it’s not acceptable to have issues with a $100K plus car and service is going to solve anything. The Lucid service people are hard working good people doing the best they can working very long hours and working within the limitations of a new very complex vehicle at the bleeding edge of engineering. I’m not going to expect something not based in reality.

It actually was likely giving the shock tilt alert which flashes the lights and sounds the alarm every time the car is towed (you can turn it off for the initial tow there but have to turn it off for the way back) , maybe the alarm turned off but lights were still flashing.
See you get it. I'm having so much fun with this car it's teaching me why I need to learn how smart phones expand spacetime.
The Dude gets the existential nihilism that we may be in some David Lynch alternate universe where we live eternally imprisoned in a rig on I-95 N with a daemon car strapped to my soul flashing hellfire beyond Geneva Convention imagination.i

Note: Turn off shock and tilt alarm from car pilot panel. I am the ass too , but I learned you can sit in your car and just listen to the music and fool around with the owners / user manual. It's much nicer to read it on the large pilot panel screen. Also ... the audio system is outstanding. I have spent ( not kidding ) hours listening to jazz in the car in the garage well after midnight. You have heat, infinitely adjustable seats, best audio-tweaked room you ever did not hear...and tomorrow I go plug into EA for a free fill-up.

heaven

See you get it. I'm having so much fun with this car it's teaching me why I need to learn how smart phones expand spacetime.
The Dude gets the existential nihilism that we may be in some David Lynch alternate universe where we live eternally imprisoned in a rig on I-95 N with a daemon car strapped to my soul flashing hellfire beyond Geneva Convention imagination.i

Note: Turn off shock and tilt alarm from car pilot panel. I am the ass too , but I learned you can sit in your car and just listen to the music and fool around with the owners / user manual. It's much nicer to read it on the large pilot panel screen. Also ... the audio system is outstanding. I have spent ( not kidding ) hours listening to jazz in the car in the garage well after midnight. You have heat, infinitely adjustable seats, best audio-tweaked room you ever did not hear...and tomorrow I go plug into EA for a free fill-up.

heaven
The dude abides. He was happy driving the trunch-mobile, so I consider myself lucky to have this spaceship, even if the hyperdrive motivator on it needs to be replaced and the Jawas are out of stolen ones.

Last edited:
Question to all those that had the dreaded 'system fault ' error or the entire car shut down. What was the diagnosis and how long was it in service? I am at the Scottsdale service center so also curious if anyone else has experience there?
I got 'system fault' error and full car shut down on my Touring and it has been in service now for 12 days without a definite diagnosis or an end in sight. I guess they have narrowed it to 3 components but don't yet know which one or if all caused it. Very very disappointing to have a new car that only had 800 miles sit in service without a cause.
Probably more disappointing is the service response. There is no urgency, empathy or apology. I have to call them for updates as they never reach out to me. When I do call I just get told 'engineering is looking at it and we are waiting for them'. This does not instill confidence and is a very bad look for a new company trying to establish itself as a high end automaker. They should be going out of there way to impress.. especially when new customers are spending $100,000++. I was intially very happy with the car, especially the responses from people. "Wow nice car, how do you like it ?". I was highly recommending it but now I don't think I can. I guess what would soften the blow for us waiting for the fix is a Lucid loaner instead of the terrible ICE cars they are loaning at Scottsdale.
Of course I was totally expecting some issues and frustration with a new build but I was not expecting this. The poor service is the most suprising.
I had what sounded like a similar issue. Car would go, but only slowly and all the fault lights were on. I live in PV and am not far from the service center. A tech came to our place and spent an entire day working on it. Then took my car to the shop for some additional work, engineering took about a day to analyze and identified a component (Assy Gateway Switch) that had some corrosion on it (must have happened during manufacturing, as I only had 200 miles on the car and none of it in rain). They replaced the component, and then think it was back to me on day 3.

Did not get a loaner, but not having Lucid's in a pool is IMHO customer stupid. Yes, I know that they are being manufactured slowly, but want to really tick off a customer, make them drive another car that isn't similar to what they purchased. One reason I gave up on Tesla (after owning two), the battery died, it was in the shop for almost a month then told me they would give me 100 Uber Dollars per day to use. I work in Luxury real estate and ordered an Uber Black to take clients out. Tesla's Uber money was only good for an Uber X - Showing up in the back seat of someone's Camery doesn't scream "yes this is the luxury agent I want to work with").

I have attached the service invoice details for my repair. It might be worth asking them if they checked this component. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• MYLIO 2023-02-09 at 8.27.45 AM.png
    MYLIO 2023-02-09 at 8.27.45 AM.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 101
I had what sounded like a similar issue. Car would go, but only slowly and all the fault lights were on. I live in PV and am not far from the service center. A tech came to our place and spent an entire day working on it. Then took my car to the shop for some additional work, engineering took about a day to analyze and identified a component (Assy Gateway Switch) that had some corrosion on it (must have happened during manufacturing, as I only had 200 miles on the car and none of it in rain). They replaced the component, and then think it was back to me on day 3.

Did not get a loaner, but not having Lucid's in a pool is IMHO customer stupid. Yes, I know that they are being manufactured slowly, but want to really tick off a customer, make them drive another car that isn't similar to what they purchased. One reason I gave up on Tesla (after owning two), the battery died, it was in the shop for almost a month then told me they would give me 100 Uber Dollars per day to use. I work in Luxury real estate and ordered an Uber Black to take clients out. Tesla's Uber money was only good for an Uber X - Showing up in the back seat of someone's Camery doesn't scream "yes this is the luxury agent I want to work with").

I have attached the service invoice details for my repair. It might be worth asking them if they checked this component. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. My update : Day 13 in service and finally got a diagnosis. They narrowed it to front or back drive units or HVAC battery. They initially were going to replace all 3 parts but ended up doing 1 at a time which will even slow the process down more. Again no urgency. Not impressed with this process. Testing done, waiting 1 to 2 days for engineering to respond, me asking for an update, repeat etc etc. Today I was told they changed their mind. Instead of repairing they are scraping everything and giving me a new car. Since I had the car that only had 800 miles I don't consider this a great comfort. I think I would rather get a new car repaired then run all the risks of a brand new car and a new round of system faults. Also concerning that all these system faults with similar outcomes have different causes instead of one common fix or recall.

100 agree on the Lucid loaners .. that would soften the blow. Having purchased a brand new car and then driving a Camry around for the post 2 weeks is not a good look on Lucid. The service manager did say that they are working on getting Lucid loaners in the near future and going to get me one until my new car comes in. Who knows when that will be. Looks like more time in the Toyota ugh. Was prepared for the early adapter thing but didn't expect this.

It actually was likely giving the shock tilt alert which flashes the lights and sounds the alarm every time the car is towed (you can turn it off for the initial tow there but have to turn it off for the way back) , maybe the alarm turned off but lights were still flashing.
OK Dude I know the car is new to you so let me clue you in:
when you wake up the car the lights come on. every. single. time.

(you can not turn them off, which is the best idea since daytime running lights. People seem to go out of their way to turn their headlights from "auto" to "off".
When you see a car with no lights:
THE OWNER HAD TO TURN THEM OFF BY FINDING THE SWITCH and moving it from the factory setting, AUTO, to OFF
...THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE SEEN.
Should I carry a carton of eggs? (they will turn on their wipers...bad idea...that's why I can't really do this, I guess...).
My eyes are old...do you want me to make a left in front of you? because that's how it happens. I did this twice yesterday: pulled out in front of someone I did not see: they had no lights and the A pillars completely blocked my view of them. This is the third time I've done this when a car was hiding behind the A pillars... I have to learn to waggle my head around the posts when I'm driving....maybe Lucid can make the A pillars out of that transparent aluminum that Scotty used to make a whale tank...that was right in the Bay Area too...you guys should look into that....end of rant)

So if your car is being taken away or you forget where you parked, you can see exactly where the car is on the map display, and track it's journey..... just open the app and the car wakes up and

THE LIGHTS COME ON

if you check your car's location by opening the app when the car is on a flatbed truck doing 95 on I-95, it flashes the headlights at the truck drivers neck. Has nothing to do with shock and tilt. the headlights come on every time you wake the car. I found you can get the driver to slow down by doing this...at least that's what I saw by watching his progress on the app. Also you can see what restaurant he stops at for dinner.

Also you can make the two geezers pawing the windows of your car to see inside go away by waking up the car and honking the horn...they will think it has proximity detection.

I don't always feel like explaining...I should get a card made up with the standard responses.
Somebody make a list of standard stupid questions so I can make-up answers and have cards printed:

... idiot looks at front of car, sees LUCID, then asks: " Is it a Tesla ? "

" Nope. Chinese weather balloon. Dropped into my yard last week. I hear there are a bunch of them up there (...looks up to sky)."

so many ways to enjoy the car.

Ah, didn't recall that was there... thanks!
On my app it also says that this is for only when a "recognized key" isn't present, which would not seem to match the case of the car being delivered back from service (I'd assume they had a key)...
sorry, but I feel confused here, perhaps I'm just not following the story correctly...
When you wake up the car, the lights come on. The key fob wakes the car when it's close enough, and the lights come on.
(they don't stay on, they just tell you the car is waking up).

Also yes the flatbed driver has the key fob, and if he does not put it in his lunch box or wrap it up in a bit of aluminum foil, it will also wake up the car every few minutes, while he is driving the tow truck, because he is too close (on a flatbed,.... a trailer might be far enough away). Try this experiment. Go into your garage with your key fob and sit next to your car for a few hours....it will constantly turn the lights on and flapp the door handles like it's trying to fly away. Then it gets bored and goes back to sleep...but eventually it will sense the fob and do it all over again. If you spend a lot of time in your garage, or go in and out of your garage and have the key fob with you, the car will turn on the lights and start trying to fly every time you get close enough. This drains the key fob battery, so get a piece of aluminum foil for your fob and wrap. If you turn on the mobile app and your car is thousands of miles away: the lights still come on.

So if you are tracking your car with the app, be aware that every time you wake the car the lights come on. If your car is up high on a flatbed...your driver will thank you not to check on your car every few minutes.

Youll still get the notifications, but the poor tow truck driver won’t have flashing lights 😂
false ... re-read my post. Forget about shock and tilt... try and open the app without the lights coming on. Go ahead...I'll wait.

Now....imagine a stranger comes and takes your car. Open the app and your can press the Star Trek logo and a map will appear with your car located within a few meters. I tracked my car from Philly to Raleigh, saw exactly which body shop it stayed at ( and where in the garage!) and all the way back home again, from here. When the truck driver turned the corner at the end of the street I had turned on the app and the lights came on and shown right into the truck's rear window: blinding him. That's what I'm talking about here.

Last edited:
Also: I've met 3 Lucid tow drivers and every one of them knew all about the car and it's quirks. All of them were nice and super professional. All of them knew more about the car than I....they know about shock and tilt and the foil pouches. What they can't prevent is our mobile apps flashing the lights at them every time we open the app....no matter where we are.

Haha now I know. I didn’t realize waking the car from the app turns the lights on. I bet the Lucid service centers are full of Lucids all in a row blinking at eachother at night while their owners are checking on them. Cute.

Got my car back from service. I’m just charging the Model 3 rental I got while it was in the shop before I return it, pulling a whopping 49kw off a 250kw charger on preconditioned battery because the units share power and there’s 5 other Teslas here. So glad to have the Lucid back. The 3 is “OK” but I’d never buy one, for the $ the quality is not good, paint job is awful, sound system rattles the cabin even at medium volumes, wipers are dumb, auto-high headlights blind those in front of me.

As for your dilemma @AZair sorry for those headaches but it’s remarkable they’re giving you a new car. That’s the first time I’ve heard of them offering that, I’d take it as it sounds like yours was a fluke and it’s concerning they’re not exactly sure what the problem is, it could lead to more trouble down the road.

I didn’t realize waking the car from the app turns the lights on. I bet the Lucid service centers are full of Lucids all in a row blinking at eachother at night while their owners are checking on them. Cute.
Yes...why I've made such a fuss on this string. At 3am I was wondering if my car was finished, so I opened the app and saw my car was inside a building in Mechanicsville. Then I thought...oh crikie...the lights must have gone on in that dark garage...I wonder if they have an on- premises guard (the garage is full of exotic cars). Then I realized I'd been doing this to the tow truck driver...and when I asked them they confirmed it is a Lucid owner thing...if they know about the tracking app.

So guys we can line our cars up at the next cars + coffee and try a syncronized blink, by timing when we open our apps! I can't wait to try this!

I’m going to throw my two cents in here. If you look across the EV spectrum, pretty much all new EVs regardless of price point have been having minor and major issues. I think there was just some huge Ioniq5 recall? Maybe the EQS is a problem free car, but based on Mercedes track record, in spite of being the car maker with the most experience building cars on the planet, those $100K plus cars break often. In fact the more expensive ones appear to break more than the cheaper ones (compare C class reliability to S class). And Lucid is in year one and version one of their car.

My car is in service after getting turtle mode near the end of a road trip, and I’m blaming a bad EVGo charger for it. Lucid service called me back literally within 60 seconds of texting them, got us a Lyft back home, towed the car. I got a rental which they will reimburse me for. They believe they’ve found the problem which is pretty complex, and the parts are on the way. Interestingly enough, my car just had its 12k mile service 3 days before this happened and everything checked out and I had zero problems at all. The nature of this car being version 1 and EVs in general being so new (aside from Tesla) is that it’s literally impossible for Lucid to have perfected the car yet, because the parts suppliers and charging infrastructure and batteries and the whole damn thing is still a work in progress. So I’m not mad at them that my expensive car stranded me, because they quickly got me alternate transportation and went so far as to put an oscilloscope on every circuit possibly involved in the problem to diagnose it, and are even replacing some parts that may not actually be faulty out of an abundance of caution and being thorough. That takes time, costs money, etc, but that’s the right way to do it. And when there hasn’t been any new news to communicate, they haven’t communicated any, nor would I want them to, because I want them to spend their very limited time instead on other people’s cars also, and they can tell me when they have news to update me with. Mass producing and then mass servicing these vehicles is a gargantuan undertaking, and in my view when you look at where Lucid was in February of 2022, there was a fraction of the service centers and staff, etc, the software was was a gremlin factory, and because only a small handful of cars were on the road, problems that could show up with longer use/abuse had not revealed themselves yet.

While it sucks balls to not have your awesome car you paid for cuz it broke, it’s not like Lucid doesn’t care, and isn’t actively working on trying to improve. If they didn’t they wouldn’t be implementing tons of technical service bulletins at no cost to you, and revising their hardware, nor would they be expanding their service centers. While I can’t wait to get my car back, I don’t see how stomping my feet about how it’s not acceptable to have issues with a $100K plus car and service is going to solve anything. The Lucid service people are hard working good people doing the best they can working very long hours and working within the limitations of a new very complex vehicle at the bleeding edge of engineering. I’m not going to expect something not based in reality.

Glad they were able to get you taken care of!!!

What terrible ice cars are being loaned out? And are they providing the loaners or referring us to Hertz?
I was to Lucid's relationship with Hertz has expired. For my current SC visit, I was told to find my own rental and submit my receipts for reimbursement for the rental and gas.

false ... re-read my post. Forget about shock and tilt... try and open the app without the lights coming on. Go ahead...I'll wait.

Now....imagine a stranger comes and takes your car. Open the app and your can press the Star Trek logo and a map will appear with your car located within a few meters. I tracked my car from Philly to Raleigh, saw exactly which body shop it stayed at ( and where in the garage!) and all the way back home again, from here. When the truck driver turned the corner at the end of the street I had turned on the app and the lights came on and shown right into the truck's rear window: blinding him. That's what I'm talking about here.
My comments were about the shock and tilt alert? That’s great, didn’t know about the lights coming on when opening the app, but also not what I was talking about either..

In tech we have this notion of Oncall. The support person works with a customer directly and tried to debug as much as they can using hand crafted sops and other wiki type documents. Once they get stuck they hand it off to a group of engineers called Oncall and they solve the problem. Just thinking outloud they need like 1 Lucid engineer Oncall on-site that can give more insight faster turnover etc.

In tech we have this notion of Oncall. The support person works with a customer directly and tried to debug as much as they can using hand crafted sops and other wiki type documents. Once they get stuck they hand it off to a group of engineers called Oncall and they solve the problem. Just thinking outloud they need like 1 Lucid engineer Oncall on-site that can give more insight faster turnover etc.
100% agree with that !

I think the difference is that the end user in a vehicle service center is the mechanic, not the driver. It would be pointless for the customer driver to have a conversation with engineering, while Lucid service does talk to engineering many times per day. I just think it’s not feasible yet to park an engineer at every service center in person, nor is it the engineers job title, as then they’re not engineering, just helping support. My brother is a mechanical engineer with contracts with NASA and Blue Origin to name a few and his time would be poorly spent on the phone all day providing tech support or hanging out at Kennedy Space center in case they need something. Lucid may have an on site engineer eventually, but what I expect is that as more cars get serviced and more bulletins implemented and more recurring problems are identified and solved, and more techs are trained, then calls to engineering will become less and less necessary. They’ll also eventually have loaner vehicles, etc. It’s just a slow ramp up for service right now and requires patience, but I have 100% confidence Lucid is up to the task and they have many talented hard working staff. They did a great job with my car, once parts arrived the car was fixed and back to me within 24 hours. Diagnosis took 2 days due to the complexity of the problem, and also due to me doing the nuclear reboot which wiped some logs which might have helped, and I believe engineering was consulted but I didn’t get the impression they had to wait a long time to discuss with engineering.

... At 3am I was wondering if my car was finished, so I opened the app and saw my car was inside a building in Mechanicsville. ...
Mine is there right now too (for the past 3+ months due to a Ford F650 tapping me in the rear end... and the long wait for Lucid to fill the parts order).
It has spent most of the past 2 weeks "offline" as they work on the body, but has recently come back online (hope I have it for my March trip down I95, which is all it has really traveled on so far, as I only had it 2ish weeks before being tapped in Hilton Head).

Back