System Fault and Service Response

AZair

Cars
Tesla model S
Question to all those that had the dreaded 'system fault ' error or the entire car shut down. What was the diagnosis and how long was it in service? I am at the Scottsdale service center so also curious if anyone else has experience there?
I got 'system fault' error and full car shut down on my Touring and it has been in service now for 12 days without a definite diagnosis or an end in sight. I guess they have narrowed it to 3 components but don't yet know which one or if all caused it. Very very disappointing to have a new car that only had 800 miles sit in service without a cause.
Probably more disappointing is the service response. There is no urgency, empathy or apology. I have to call them for updates as they never reach out to me. When I do call I just get told 'engineering is looking at it and we are waiting for them'. This does not instill confidence and is a very bad look for a new company trying to establish itself as a high end automaker. They should be going out of there way to impress.. especially when new customers are spending $100,000++. I was intially very happy with the car, especially the responses from people. "Wow nice car, how do you like it ?". I was highly recommending it but now I don't think I can. I guess what would soften the blow for us waiting for the fix is a Lucid loaner instead of the terrible ICE cars they are loaning at Scottsdale.
Of course I was totally expecting some issues and frustration with a new build but I was not expecting this. The poor service is the most suprising.

Question to all those that had the dreaded 'system fault ' error or the entire car shut down. What was the diagnosis and how long was it in service? I am at the Scottsdale service center so also curious if anyone else has experience there?
I got 'system fault' error and full car shut down on my Touring and it has been in service now for 12 days without a definite diagnosis or an end in sight. I guess they have narrowed it to 3 components but don't yet know which one or if all caused it. Very very disappointing to have a new car that only had 800 miles sit in service without a cause.
Probably more disappointing is the service response. There is no urgency, empathy or apology. I have to call them for updates as they never reach out to me. When I do call I just get told 'engineering is looking at it and we are waiting for them'. This does not instill confidence and is a very bad look for a new company trying to establish itself as a high end automaker. They should be going out of there way to impress.. especially when new customers are spending $100,000++. I was intially very happy with the car, especially the responses from people. "Wow nice car, how do you like it ?". I was highly recommending it but now I don't think I can. I guess what would soften the blow for us waiting for the fix is a Lucid loaner instead of the terrible ICE cars they are loaning at Scottsdale.
Of course I was totally expecting some issues and frustration with a new build but I was not expecting this. The poor service is the most suprising.
While I have never had a system fault and car shut down, I have been to the Scottsdale service center many times and have always been impressed with the level of service. John and Lena are outstanding.

I have also been in the engineering waiting loop several times. When a new problem is encountered, Lucid has to call in engineers to help troubleshoot. The technicians will gather a lot of data and send it to the engineers and then wait for next instructions. Often this process is repeated multiple times per day for several days. I would rather have Lucid do this than randomly start replacing stuff. I agree, that it does make the service take longer. The good thing is that the service technicians are documenting the troubleshooting procedure and fix for all service centers.

None of the service centers have Lucid loaners, there are not enough cars for that yet. I hope that one day they will have Lucid loaners.

Very sorry to hear about your issue. I hope they are able to figure out the problem and get your car working in short order.

Unfortunately it's another day on the forum and another report of a car shutdown. I appreciate those with the "just drive and enjoy it" mentality, and I know problems are naturally over-represented on a forum like this. But every time I see these reports it makes me just a bit more concerned that I'll be hit with the issue on a busy freeway, in rush hour traffic, or in the middle of nowhere on a road trip. One of the reasons I was excited to buy the car was for the comfort and performance on a long journey, but at this point, I'm sadly just not comfortable doing that.

.... One of the reasons I was excited to buy the car was for the comfort and performance on a long journey, but at this point, I'm sadly just not comfortable doing that.
After a difficult road-trip charging episode, I felt the same way as you for some months. Upon reading more of others' successful trips in the car, and the realization that catastrophic issues must be pretty rare, we're about to set out again. It is a brand new car, made by a brand new company, and brand new factory. There will be unknowns for a while.

Had this problem. Car was trailered to service center (excellent driver) 5 or 6 hours away. I followed my car on the phone app (this is so cool). They diagnosed and replaced a 12v system control module and trailered it back in a few days. As the flatbed arrived at night I could see he had all his brights on when he turned into the neighborhood, but no, it was the Lucid on the back of the truck shining directly into the back window of his cab. That's when I realized I must have been flashing him during the entire 6 hour trip from Raleigh to Philly. I apologised to the driver but he told he he's towed a bunch of Luids and most of the owners do the same thing. Anyway every driver I have met has been the consummate professional.

Since then the car is absolutely flawless. Everything works as expected. Not a single software "issue" ever. Both of my service calls were diagnosed and solved by replacing faulty control modules.

I want to emphasize: I am 70 something so I have had every service experience...last few cars were Mercs ...never even knew there was service at the level of my Lucid experience. Outstanding.

Last edited:

After a difficult road-trip charging episode, I felt the same way as you for some months. Upon reading more of others' successful trips in the car, and the realization that catastrophic issues must be pretty rare, we're about to set out again. It is a brand new car, made by a brand new company, and brand new factory. There will be unknowns for a while.
The car wants to go.

Just drive it right into the future.

Sorry this happened. My car bricked after a software download, corrupted file. The car was towed to the Scottsdale service center and they were responsive in getting it resolved. I had a bunch of other minor issues resolved while it was there but, I was responsible for calling John daily to get updates. He seemed ok with me calling.

... it was the Lucid on the back of the truck shining directly into the back window of his cab. ...
If I grok the story right, the phone was miles from the car and both knew their location, but the car decides to turn on its lights just because you use the app to ask the car where it is... seems like another example of the car being overly aggressive and powering up too much for a simple interaction with the app... sure do wish that Lucid would tone this down. No need to power on the lights until you are at the least a few hundred yards from the car... and perhaps not even then (e.g. have the user request a light flash if they want one, otherwise keep the lights off until you are at the car... and if some want it as it is today, then give us a configuration switch in the app for how this instance of the app should behave.

If I grok the story right, the phone was miles from the car and both knew their location, but the car decides to turn on its lights just because you use the app to ask the car where it is... seems like another example of the car being overly aggressive and powering up too much for a simple interaction with the app... sure do wish that Lucid would tone this down. No need to power on the lights until you are at the least a few hundred yards from the car... and perhaps not even then (e.g. have the user request a light flash if they want one, otherwise keep the lights off until you are at the car... and if some want it as it is today, then give us a configuration switch in the app for how this instance of the app should behave.
It actually was likely giving the shock tilt alert which flashes the lights and sounds the alarm every time the car is towed (you can turn it off for the initial tow there but have to turn it off for the way back) , maybe the alarm turned off but lights were still flashing.

Very sorry to hear about your issue. I hope they are able to figure out the problem and get your car working in short order.

Unfortunately it's another day on the forum and another report of a car shutdown. I appreciate those with the "just drive and enjoy it" mentality, and I know problems are naturally over-represented on a forum like this. But every time I see these reports it makes me just a bit more concerned that I'll be hit with the issue on a busy freeway, in rush hour traffic, or in the middle of nowhere on a road trip. One of the reasons I was excited to buy the car was for the comfort and performance on a long journey, but at this point, I'm sadly just not comfortable doing that.
Totally agree, that is a concern for sure. I guess the 'good' thing about my shut down is the car gave me a 2 minute countdown before the lights went dark. Unlike others I have read about the had no warning.

My concern is how Lucid handles it because it is a big deal. Hopefully they can get real diagnosis and then maybe do a recall. So far not so good!

I guess what would soften the blow for us waiting for the fix is a Lucid loaner instead of the terrible ICE cars they are loaning at Scottsdale.
What terrible ice cars are being loaned out? And are they providing the loaners or referring us to Hertz?

What terrible ice cars are being loaned out? And are they providing the loaners or referring us to Hertz?
My understanding is they are Hertz cars kept at the Lucid center. I had a compact Genesis with very small back seat and an older Toyota.

It actually was likely giving the shock tilt alert which flashes the lights and sounds the alarm every time the car is towed (you can turn it off for the initial tow there but have to turn it off for the way back) , maybe the alarm turned off but lights were still flashing.
Turn it on notification only and forget about it 👍

Ah... so it seems that not only should there be a way to disable it from the car, but also an explicit notification to the app with a (simple) way to disable the car doing this (sorta an "I know you are being towed, its ok, calm down car").

Ah... so it seems that not only should there be a way to disable it from the car, but also an explicit notification to the app with a (simple) way to disable the car doing this (sorta an "I know you are being towed, its ok, calm down car").
There is. Settings -> safety and security -> shock and tilt push notification only can be done from the app.

My understanding is they are Hertz cars kept at the Lucid center. I had a compact Genesis with very small back seat and an older Toyota.
Are we (as customers) expecting too much on the wrong axis here... I'd want more time & $ put into fixing the car's flaws and less into rentals (both in number and in attempting/expecting to make them "high end").

There is. Settings -> safety and security -> shock and tilt push notification only can be done from the app.
Ah, didn't recall that was there... thanks!
On my app it also says that this is for only when a "recognized key" isn't present, which would not seem to match the case of the car being delivered back from service (I'd assume they had a key)...
sorry, but I feel confused here, perhaps I'm just not following the story correctly...

Back