Superchargers to add CCS Connectors in US

mnewber1

Cars
Air Touring
DE Number

What Elon says and what Elon does are 2 different things :).

I know he's been tweeting recently if Tesla owners wanted dual port on US Teslas. I'm wondering if they're planning on slowly phasing out the proprietary plug and move to CCS. Tesla could make bank on opening that network because it seems more reliable than any of the others on the market plus the sheer volume of chargers. Issue for alot of EV's will be if they can actually plug in due to port placement on the car.

The only reason to have the proprietary plug is for the exclusivity of superchargers. If the US Government is following the EU and requiring Elon to open the supercharger network to all cars, then there's no reason to have the proprietary plug. They unfortunately can't capitalize on this special plug like Apple can.

Makes sense to me. It's an amazing network, and it'll be a nice revenue source for Tesla. If it causes more congestion to Tesla owners, that would be the only downside. But given they will make money from it, I suppose they can just keep increasing the number of stations.

Also, it'll take away my only concern about road trips in my area here. EA has a fairly decent network, but Tesla definitely has some key spots that EA does not.

I know he's been tweeting recently if Tesla owners wanted dual port on US Teslas. I'm wondering if they're planning on slowly phasing out the proprietary plug and move to CCS. Tesla could make bank on opening that network because it seems more reliable than any of the others on the market plus the sheer volume of chargers. Issue for alot of EV's will be if they can actually plug in due to port placement on the car.
It's only reliable because of the integration with Teslas and no need for billing handshakes and real time status of chargers. If all other chargers just parsed billing through an app, that would alleviate so many of the frustrations with other charging networks.

Good thing that Lhcid integrated with EA because you can see the status of those and billing hasn't been an issue for me personally.

It's only reliable because of the integration with Teslas and no need for billing handshakes and real time status of chargers. If all other chargers just parsed billing through an app, that would alleviate so many of the frustrations with other charging networks.

Good thing that Lhcid integrated with EA because you can see the status of those and billing hasn't been an issue for me personally.
It's more than that. EA can't seem to manage power delivery properly. When I had the Audi it was 150Kw consistent from 0 to 80% and multiple times I had to play musical chargers because I was only getting 15Kw or 30Kw etc. You'd call EA and they'd just blame the car but yet you move it to the next charger and surprise, surprise you get 150Kw or you get 150Kw and within minutes it drops down. The experience is just unreliable, It wasn't a case of the battery not being pre-conditioned either because Audi keeps them at the optimal temperature all the time for fast charging (similar to ID4 etc.)

There is a particular location on the I5 in CA that has 6 to 8 EA chargers and it's so hit and miss whether they're working or not. When they are the same thing happens, you play musical chargers to get the speed you're supposed to get. A Taycan owner pulled in recently and connected to the 350Kw charger and couldn't get any more than 45Kw so he was waiting for me to leave to connect to the 150Kw as I was getting 150Kw. EA claims they struggle with power delivery in remote locations and that's an acceptable excuse yet at this particular location you look over the road and there's 50 V2 Tesla Superchargers delivering consistent speeds. So, how can Tesla do it, yet EA can't? It's not like Tesla is using a different power company in that location.

...If it causes more congestion to Tesla owners...

Most of the Superchargers I've visited have been 10-15 minute wait minimum anyways. Tesla owners should be used to waiting.

It's more than that. EA can't seem to manage power delivery properly. When I had the Audi it was 150Kw consistent from 0 to 80% and multiple times I had to play musical chargers because I was only getting 15Kw or 30Kw etc. You'd call EA and they'd just blame the car but yet you move it to the next charger and surprise, surprise you get 150Kw or you get 150Kw and within minutes it drops down. The experience is just unreliable, It wasn't a case of the battery not being pre-conditioned either because Audi keeps them at the optimal temperature all the time for fast charging (similar to ID4 etc.)

There is a particular location on the I5 in CA that has 6 to 8 EA chargers and it's so hit and miss whether they're working or not. When they are the same thing happens, you play musical chargers to get the speed you're supposed to get. A Taycan owner pulled in recently and connected to the 350Kw charger and couldn't get any more than 45Kw so he was waiting for me to leave to connect to the 150Kw as I was getting 150Kw. EA claims they struggle with power delivery in remote locations and that's an acceptable excuse yet at this particular location you look over the road and there's 50 V2 Tesla Superchargers delivering consistent speeds. So, how can Tesla do it, yet EA can't? It's not like Tesla is using a different power company in that location.
Well, not to make an excuse for EA, but when we looked at putting in a supercharger in one of our properties, Edison came out to do a site survey and the same situation was literally what happened. The power supplied to our property could support 4 superchargers, whereas across the street could support 16. It's the way the power lines are laid out and the switches available to feed which location that limits the available power.

But, YES EA has issues with their stations, and I really think it comes down to inconsistent hardware for their chargers

Most of the Superchargers I've visited have been 10-15 minute wait minimum anyways. Tesla owners should be used to waiting.
I've never had to wait. But CO vs CA, other busier places, makes sense.

“…we will be adding the rest of the industry connector as an option to Superchargers in the US.”
My guess is they will initially include dual connectors in new charger stations going forward. Initially perhaps only those funded by the infrastructure bill. Adding CCS to existing stations is probably a long process… may only happen as supercharger equipment becomes due for replacement.

Main issue seems to be the reports of wait times as it is now, and the fact they are growing their car deliveries 50%-80% each year but only expanding number of superchargers 35% a year. Perhaps the infrastructure bill will help accelerate this. Even if superchargers are typically crowded it would be nice to have them as an option if only for backup in case EA is having issues.

Back