Sun Visor Mod

otslade

Cars
DE-R White '21 MS Plaid
I rarely use the sun visor in a car, I prefer a hat or good sun glasses. Do you think it is possible to remove the sun visors in the Air and take advantage of a seamless front windshield with full glorious views? I would assume so based on the fact that any windshield change would require this.... Thoughts?? Are they just attached via air cups? I assume so??

I rarely use the sun visor in a car, I prefer a hat or good sun glasses. Do you think it is possible to remove the sun visors in the Air and take advantage of a seamless front windshield with full glorious views? I would assume so based on the fact that any windshield change would require this.... Thoughts?? Are they just attached via air cups? I assume so??
you can remove them via the screws and I THINK underneath is attached with cups. But you will still have the black circles in your way

you can remove them via the screws and I THINK underneath is attached with cups. But you will still have the black circles in your way
Thanks! Do you think the black circles could also be removed?

If you can find the right solvent for the adhesive...

Thanks! Do you think the black circles could also be removed?
yea, maybe with a heat gun/hair dryer? I'd e-mail customer service and ask!

The sun visor is a NHTSA requirement, I believe. So, you may not be able to sell the vehicle. It also could present a problem if a driver suffers a crash attributable to sun blinding. The insurance company will, undoubtedly, point to this modification to decline coverage.

The sun visor is a NHTSA requirement, I believe. So, you may not be able to sell the vehicle. It also could present a problem if a driver suffers a crash attributable to sun blinding. The insurance company will, undoubtedly, point to this modification to decline coverage.
I understand the requirement and that requirement makes sense. I would put it back on in case of a future sale etc. It would be nice to have a solution for this for a full unobstrcted view :)

I understand the requirement and that requirement makes sense. I would put it back on in case of a future sale etc. It would be nice to have a solution for this for a full unobstrcted view :)
It should be easy enough to remove the visor initially to see underneath the cups. I think the tint guy said something about a T9 hex to get it off

The insurance risk is not a trivial consideration, however.

The factory tint is actually pretty good at filtering it out. Otherwise, you can tint it additionally. I put 3M crystalline on, 70 for the windshield, because California, otherwise, I would have done 50.

Definitely post the details of how you do it, and some after pics.

I really think the visor placement was a screwup ( although not huge). They could gone with an A pillar placement like the Tesla model X and just put a fold in it to make it less intrusive. You could still have a lighted mirror in either the upper or lower fold with its own flap and activating switch

I really think the visor placement was a screwup ( although not huge). They could gone with an A pillar placement like the Tesla model X and just put a fold in it to make it less intrusive. You could still have a lighted mirror in either the upper or lower fold with its own flap and activating switch
I'm like 90% sure that is a patented design.

As far as the sun visor goes I use this simple little hack to downplay the visor intrusiveness. I fold it down15 /20 degrees so all I see is the edge ( maybe 1/3 in ) it really
2250DC7E-9825-4526-9737-ECCC4F9B47D5.jpeg
opens up the sky!

As far as the sun visor goes I use this simple little hack to downplay the visor intrusiveness. I fold it down15 /20 degrees so all I see is the edge ( maybe 1/3 in ) it really View attachment 2254opens up the sky!

I know its been a while since this post but this was quite useful for my 3,105 mile trips home, thanks!

As far as the sun visor goes I use this simple little hack to downplay the visor intrusiveness. I fold it down15 /20 degrees so all I see is the edge ( maybe 1/3 in ) it really View attachment 2254opens up the sky!
This is my solution, which actually opens up a substantial amount of actual viewing space.

Attachments

• In Place.jpg
    In Place.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 329
  • Swiveled Aside.jpg
    Swiveled Aside.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 771
Back