How is sun visor fastened to windshield ?

steveairgt

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
83YOVHQD
Hi
Should I be concerned about the sun visor falling off in very high or very low temps?

Is it fastened by suction or is it screwed into the windshield ?
Thanks

Hi
Should I be concerned about the sun visor falling off in very high or very low temps?

Is it fastened by suction or is it screwed into the windshield ?
Thanks
It appears to be held on with structural adhesive — Not suction fit or screwed on. I wouldn’t worry about it falling off. This is old technology. I remember in the past, many cars had the rear view mirror mounts fastened to the windshields.

It appears to be held on with structural adhesive — Not suction fit or screwed on. I wouldn’t worry about it falling off. This is old technology. I remember in the past, many cars had the rear view mirror mounts fastened to the windshields.

i wonder why they didn’t take the approach Tesla did with the Model X where it’s totally out of the way till you need it.

i wonder why they didn’t take the approach Tesla did with the Model X where it’s totally out of the way till you need it.

The Lucid roof rails, besides being lower than in a Model X, are quite beefy. I think adding a folding sun visor to that already-bulky structure would have been too much. I have also seen complaints on the Tesla forums that the Model X sun visors are not large enough when deployed to block out the sun adequately in some positions.

I can't say I like the look of the Lucid sun visors where they are. But I've also been unable to conjure up any place else they could have gone.

The Lucid roof rails, besides being lower than in a Model X, are quite beefy. I think adding a folding sun visor to that already-bulky structure would have been too much. I have also seen complaints on the Tesla forums that the Model X sun visors are not large enough when deployed to block out the sun adequately in some positions.

I can't say I like the look of the Lucid sun visors where they are. But I've also been unable to conjure up any place else they could have gone.
I agree with the mention of the Model X visors being not wide enough, having experienced it first hand. I asked the service tech that stopped by my home this week about the visor as well because aesthetically I too would have preferred them to be on the A pillar. He claimed that that is indeed where Lucid wanted them but that new regulations required them to be on the front windshield and that it took a lot of back and worth between Lucid and the regulatory dept (whoever that specifically is) before they decided to do it in the current way. . I can't confirm or deny the truth of the statement but that is what I was told.
The visors have a battery inside them to allow for the light feature when you flip open the cover to look at the small "make up mirror".

Is that a patented design that possibly no one else else allowed to copy?

I have also seen complaints on the Tesla forums that the Model X sun visors are not large enough when deployed to block out the sun adequately in some positions.
I have had 2 Model Xs (still have one). The sun visors do really stow away nicely. The main problem I have with them is actually their ability to block the sun on the side window. When swung to the side, they don't sit horizontal (i.e they are at an angle) and pulling on them to stay horizontal only causes them to go back to an angled position. Then there is the problem that they do not extend rearward and cannot block about 4" of window by the B-pillar, which is about my seating position. For blocking the sun on the windshield, they do a much better job and since they articulate all over the place, I always manage to find a way to block the sun. I also like the magnetic holder for them. Tesla is using magnetic holders for their other cars too now and it's much nicer than clipping the visor in place.

Last edited:
He claimed that that is indeed where Lucid wanted them but that new regulations required them to be on the front windshield and that it took a lot of back and worth between Lucid and the regulatory dept (whoever that specifically is) before they decided to do it in the current way. . I can't confirm or deny the truth of the statement but that is what I was told.

I saw a video review in which the reviewer said he was given the same reason by the Lucid representative.

I don’t know why they couldn’t make a bifold design to be less intrusive. Basically have a 4 inch tall visor that you could open to an 8 inch. You could still have a flip mirror imbedded in one fold

Back