Steering Wheel Buttons Stiff?

daydreamer223

For those of you who have received production cars, how stiff are the steering wheel buttons? I went on a test drive a few days ago, and was surprised at how hard it was to press the sound buttons on the wheel. That and the loud brake disengage noise at stops were probably the two most surprising somewhat jarring things to me. The steering wheel was also creaky, but someone here mentioned that and the SA confirmed they were getting that serviced 😅

For those of you who have received production cars, how stiff are the steering wheel buttons? I went on a test drive a few days ago, and was surprised at how hard it was to press the sound buttons on the wheel. That and the loud brake disengage noise at stops were probably the two most surprising somewhat jarring things to me. The steering wheel was also creaky, but someone here mentioned that and the SA confirmed they were getting that serviced 😅
All of the buttons are easy to press. The volume up/down rotating toggle is easy to change with a nice tactile feel.

All of the buttons are easy to press. The volume up/down rotating toggle is easy to change with a nice tactile feel.
My volume up/down and speed setting buttons were a bit stiff when I got the car. They have loosened up now, but I fear they will continue to loosen. There is not much of a tactile click feel when going up/down - Maybe due to stiffness. I wish they had two settings similar to how the turn signal stalk does. This would allow for more options. For example, to currently increase the speed by 5mph, you need to hold the speed button up for a longer time. When you see that the speed indicator has gone up be 5mph and let go of the button, it has gone up by 10mph. A more forceful detent could be used for 5mph steps.

My volume up/down and speed setting buttons were a bit stiff when I got the car. They have loosened up now, but I fear they will continue to loosen. There is not much of a tactile click feel when going up/down - Maybe due to stiffness. I wish they had two settings similar to how the turn signal stalk does. This would allow for more options. For example, to currently increase the speed by 5mph, you need to hold the speed button up for a longer time. When you see that the speed indicator has gone up be 5mph and let go of the button, it has gone up by 10mph. A more forceful detent could be used for 5mph steps.
I don't use the ACC increase/decrease all that much, so that part doesn't bother me much, but I agree, both wheels on the steering wheel are stiff. The volume is a bigger deal, but the wheel in the center of the car is much smoother, so I use that one a lot.

Good to know. Mine are stiff so hopefully they loosen up over time. I'm not sure if the stiffness is the issue or general response time issue in case of the volume. There seems to be a lag between turning up volume and system responding.

Sorry I’m an idiot- I also meant the stiffness in the previous/next buttons that you press on the bottom on the wheel.

Were those stiff/did they become smoother for folks? I had to press them way harder than usual to get them to work.

Sorry I’m an idiot- I also meant the stiffness in the previous/next buttons that you press on the bottom on the wheel.

Were those stiff/did they become smoother for folks? I had to press them way harder than usual to get them to work.
Those buttons have barely any travel but also aren't super hard to push

Those buttons have barely any travel but also aren't super hard to push
Yes, and that coupled with the fact that pushing them up/down can cause you to press them, makes it really hard to adjust speed.

Back