State pushes to ban OTA updates

HC_79

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
AWNJLGKT
This isn't a safety issue, it's the West Virginia Dealers Association realizing they're going to lose money on servicing and have lobbied the State Government to help keep them in business. Wonder how much money is donated from this group.

How would they enforce this? So if I sit at home and update my computer (I.e. car) by pulling an OTA update, am I going to be charged with committing some crime? If so, what is the punishment?

This isn't a safety issue, it's the West Virginia Dealers Association realizing they're going to lose money on servicing and have lobbied the State Government to help keep them in business. Wonder how much money is donated from this group.
West Virginia - never failing to live up to the stereotype we all have about that state. Hey look, we are dead last in "Infrastructure"!

State motto --> "Come to West Virginia because we are better than New Mexico, Mississippi and Louisiana".

SharedScreenshot_Lucid.jpg

Lobbying should be banned.
I completely agree. It's clear this bill was introduced for their own best interests and is the modern day form of bribery. It's also why Biden failed to mention Tesla for so long because his party is in bed with the UAW and because Tesla isn't unionized they can't be mentioned for fear of retribution. These groups, unions etc. have too much power on government legislation.

I completely agree. It's clear this bill was introduced for their own best interests and is the modern day form of bribery. It's also why Biden failed to mention Tesla for so long because his party is in bed with the UAW and because Tesla isn't unionized they can't be mentioned for fear of retribution. These groups, unions etc. have too much power on government legislation.

While I agree that Biden looked ridiculous not acknowledging the accomplishments of Tesla and touting GM instead and agree that this has to do with UAW shenanigans, I'm not sure what unions have to do with this situation in West Virginia. This is a move by the West Virginia Automobile Dealers Association, who have nothing to do with unions, and the bill is sponsored by Republicans, whom I believe are anti-union as a whole.

I'm surprised that they didn't require that all vehicles be powered by coal.

This makes no sense. It is the dealers who are lobbying for the bill, not the employees.

Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, Faraday will all lobby against this.
I believe Ford and a few other legacy automakers will also. Why would they want to have to pay their dealers to apply updates once they figure them out? Why would they not want to allow in-car purchases and cut the dealers out of the transaction?

While I agree that Biden looked ridiculous not acknowledging the accomplishments of Tesla and touting GM instead and agree that this has to do with UAW shenanigans, I'm not sure what unions have to do with this situation in West Virginia. This is a move by the West Virginia Automobile Dealers Association, who have nothing to do with unions, and the bill is sponsored by Republicans, whom I believe are anti-union as a whole.

I'm surprised that they didn't require that all vehicles be powered by coal.
They're 2 separate issues but for me, it points out just how controlled the government is by these groups including the NRA etc. Time and time again we see these ridiculous rules introduced that aren't for the benefit of the people it's to benefit the pockets of companies etc. The moment groups lobby, donate to campaigns etc it's not for the people it's to protect themselves and it should be made illegal.

Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, Faraday will all lobby against this.
I believe Ford and a few other legacy automakers will also. Why would they want to have to pay their dealers to apply updates once they figure them out? Why would they not want to allow in-car purchases and cut the dealers out of the transaction?
Ford has come out and practically said they're moving towards the Tesla model. They want to control inventory by allowing online ordering and deliver direct to home. The dealers (who are franchised) know the writing is on the wall for them so they're going to do everything possible to force customers to have to go to them. It's like the states that ban Tesla sales etc. which is driven by the dealers also.

Back