Something is just not right

limtless

I love the Lucid Tech Talks, but the information they go into seems to have an alternate purpose. I get the feeling Lucid is looking to be bought by Apple (anyone really) or they are hoping other car companies will want to partner with them to supply Lucid IP to other EVs. Things Peter says it is almost like hey we have this here and we did a lot of work so why try and make your own when we have better stuff. The motors being smaller and lighter, I laughed at personally, because a car that weighs 5,000lbs and your motors are 30lbs lighter, so what. I get the feeling they are shopping for buyers and/or partners...which is fine.

I just don't see how any of this info is going to make someone buy the car because a motor is a few lbs lighter or the battery packs are modules. It seems to have an alternate purpose, maybe just to show they are legit and have great tech, which they do. I think at this point, with all the issues, software being a major factor, and the inability to make cars with no date in sight for the Pure I am going to cancel. I will wait for more maturity in the brand and maybe even some more models offered.

Good Luck to all and best of luck Lucid.

They’ve ramped up production significantly, as can be seen on the tracker.

The reason they weigh the motors is because that’s how you measure efficiency; it’s a power to weight ratio.

The tech talks are mostly just showing off their technology.

They’ve ramped up production significantly, as can be seen on the tracker.

The reason they weigh the motors is because that’s how you measure efficiency; it’s a power to weight ratio.

The tech talks are mostly just showing off their technology.
It's great tech for sure, but I have come to realize that I do not want to Beta test software. I have gone thru that and I want a luxurious refined car that has and does everything I need.

I love the Lucid Tech Talks, but the information they go into seems to have an alternate purpose. I get the feeling Lucid is looking to be bought by Apple (anyone really) or they are hoping other car companies will want to partner with them to supply Lucid IP to other EVs. Things Peter says it is almost like hey we have this here and we did a lot of work so why try and make your own when we have better stuff. The motors being smaller and lighter, I laughed at personally, because a car that weighs 5,000lbs and your motors are 30lbs lighter, so what. I get the feeling they are shopping for buyers and/or partners...which is fine.

I just don't see how any of this info is going to make someone buy the car because a motor is a few lbs lighter or the battery packs are modules. It seems to have an alternate purpose, maybe just to show they are legit and have great tech, which they do. I think at this point, with all the issues, software being a major factor, and the inability to make cars with no date in sight for the Pure I am going to cancel. I will wait for more maturity in the brand and maybe even some more models offered.

I can understand how you came to think that. And, who knows, you may be right.
However, I do not read it that way. Peter is an the ultimate engineer and he and his team have developed a number of things in Lucid which are very special. It is the "something very special" which generated the interest in Lucid by the Saudis and they are making it central to their "green" initiative. I think Peter is just trying to show case those things that are under the hood (oops, showing my age there, I should have said under the Frunk) and which are not obvious to the general public. They have developed so many unique elements to their car and (as an retired engineer), I really love watching his videos and learning and understanding the nitty gritty of those elements which are unque to Lucid. People need to know that no other EV out there, can match Lucid regarding effeciency and it is these unique elements which make up the Lucid experience.

If you haven't yet, take a look
I can understand how you came to think that. And, who knows, you may be right.
However, I do not read it that way. Peter is an the ultimate engineer and he and his team have developed a number of things in Lucid which are very special. It is the "something very special" which generated the interest in Lucid by the Saudis and they are making it central to their "green" initiative. I think Peter is just trying to show case those things that are under the hood (oops, showing my age there, I should have said under the Frunk) and which are not obvious to the general public. They have developed so many unique elements to their car and (as an retired engineer), I really love watching his videos and learning and understanding the nitty gritty of those elements which are unque to Lucid. People need to know that no other EV out there, can match Lucid regarding effeciency and it is these unique elements which make up the Lucid experience.
If you haven't already, take a look at the Munro Live Youtube channel. They tear cars apart as a career to sell the reports (costs, technology, etc) to other auto makers. They have lots of in depth tear downs of other EV's and EV components (batteries, chassis, seats, motors).

It's great tech for sure, but I have come to realize that I do not want to Beta test software. I have gone thru that and I want a luxurious refined car that has and does everything I need.
Essentially you are saying you won't own an EV then because all of them have software deficiencies.

Maybe try a Continental GT?

If you haven't yet, take a look

If you haven't already, take a look at the Munro Live Youtube channel. They tear cars apart as a career to sell the reports (costs, technology, etc) to other auto makers. They have lots of in depth tear downs of other EV's and EV components (batteries, chassis, seats, motors).
Thank for taking the time and sharing this with me. That is very kind and greatly appreciated. I have watched MunroLive, especially his comments on the Lucid awhile ago when he commented on Peter's initial TechTalk on the battery system. I also enjoyed the teardowns of Tesla's new battery pack. Very interesting and informative. I only wish he would do more on the Lucid but I am sure that will come with time. Thanks again.

Essentially you are saying you won't own an EV then because all of them have software deficiencies.
I think that Lucid is still behind almost every brand in software features and quality. It will get better but will take awhile.

I am not sure when you reserved or confirmed your order. Money may not be an issue for you either. However, it may be worth holding onto the reservation/order until the very last minute to decide. Keep your options open, you know? A big software update is supposedly coming.

I think that Lucid is still behind almost every brand in software features and quality. It will get better but will take awhile.
The Lucid software is certainly a work in progress. Should it be further along? Yes, but I do believe they will get there. This is a very young company and in my view much farther ahead of Tesla when it was at the same stage. Having owned an Audi e-tron SUV all I can say is the software had serious issues for quite a long time and no OTA updates. The VW Group as whole has serious software issues.
Patience is required.

The motors being smaller and lighter, I laughed at personally, because a car that weighs 5,000lbs and your motors are 30lbs lighter, so what

You're forgetting that the 163 pounds given for a Lucid "motor" is actually the entire drive unit: motor, inverter, differential, and transmission. If you compare just the motor itself of a Tesla to just the motor itself of a Lucid, the Lucid motor has about two and a half times the gravimetric power density of a Tesla motor. Not only is the Lucid motor considerably lighter and smaller; it also produces much more power.

So what, you say? That is a very big deal.

Hell, my wife’s MCU1 Model S still has software that is buggy as hell. Bluetooth streaming flakes out 1/4 the time and the Spotify app is next to useless. It happens, but leaving people stranded is there the line should be. At least get your software to that point.

they are hoping other car companies will want to partner with them to supply Lucid IP to other EVs. Things Peter says it is almost like hey we have this here and we did a lot of work so why try and make your own when we have better stuff.
Peter has stated from early on that they want to sell components to other companies. I hadn't thought of the videos as marketing for that purpose but it makes sense. Peter has stated that the fastest path to an "affordable/efficient" EV is for a bulk manufacturer to use Lucid components.

You're forgetting that the 163 pounds given for a Lucid "motor" is actually the entire drive unit: motor, inverter, differential, and transmission. If you compare just the motor itself of a Tesla to just the motor itself of a Lucid, the Lucid motor has about two and a half times the gravimetric power density of a Tesla motor. Not only is the Lucid motor considerably lighter and smaller; it also produces much more power.

So what, you say? That is a very big deal.
I understand what you are saying and yes to engineers it is a big deal, but it is not a big deal in the big picture of buying a car. We all have our criteria and if power was the biggest factor then Dodge Hellcats would rule the market. If a Tesla Plaid can do 0-60 under 2 seconds does it matter that a Lucid Sapphire at double the cost can do it too? Maybe to some, but Tesla has other advantages that Lucid clearly does not (batter tabs for one). You can also say people hate the look of Teslas and that is why the Ioniq 5 is the car of the year (sorry Lucid). Most people don't care about my motor has better power to weight ratio than XY or Z, people buy what they like based on all sorts of factors. People are buying the new Hummer like crazy over 10x more than Lucid, why do they want a 10K lb car that is power inefficient, cuz it looks cool.

hydbob said:
I hope you are not being a Troll and are just trying to make a joke. I plan on buying 3 EVs in the next year all from different manufacturers. Just like I tell everybody here, it's your money buy whatever you want with it. I have decided that I am not going to buy an $80K plus Pure, if they ever offer it (Yes I have OG pricing and No, I did not lock in). That's my choice, I like Lucid, I love the tech talks, I can see them being successful and feel they will be. I have options and more mature software options are what I want...that's my choice.

I understand what you are saying and yes to engineers it is a big deal, but it is not a big deal in the big picture of buying a car. We all have our criteria and if power was the biggest factor then Dodge Hellcats would rule the market. If a Tesla Plaid can do 0-60 under 2 seconds does it matter that a Lucid Sapphire at double the cost can do it too? Maybe to some, but Tesla has other advantages that Lucid clearly does not (batter tabs for one). You can also say people hate the look of Teslas and that is why the Ioniq 5 is the car of the year (sorry Lucid). Most people don't care about my motor has better power to weight ratio than XY or Z, people buy what they like based on all sorts of factors. People are buying the new Hummer like crazy over 10x more than Lucid, why do they want a 10K lb car that is power inefficient, cuz it looks cool.

I hope you are not being a Troll and are just trying to make a joke. I plan on buying 3 EVs in the next year all from different manufacturers. Just like I tell everybody here, it's your money buy whatever you want with it. I have decided that I am not going to buy an $80K plus Pure, if they ever offer it (Yes I have OG pricing and No, I did not lock in). That's my choice, I like Lucid, I love the tech talks, I can see them being successful and feel they will be. I have options and more mature software options are what I want...that's my choice.
This is why it is fantastic other brands are getting into the mix.

For instance, I test drove an EQS. The car gave no feedback from the road, but it was firmly planted. It's great for those who associate luxury with that kind of super soft and floaty sensation, even in sports mode. The white interior felt gaudy to be with whatever weird wood trim they had on the showroom, but they did have a more muted grey interior my second visit. Not my kind of car.

Test drove the Model 3 22', not the performance model. The acceleration and throttle was punchy, but the car felt anything but planted with a significant performance drop at 60mph. The interior was rather cheap and confining (compared to the EQS). Again, it was not my kind of car with such a touchy pedal. I can see it being a hot sell for other people my age with active social circles (early to mid 20s) and cheap thrills of punchy acceleration (certainly fun on the test drive).

As for the Lucid, the videos sold me more than anything else. I am a software engineer with a heavier emphasis on the engineer portion. Those nitty gritty technical details give a thrill equivalent to a roaring V12 (or is it 12L..., not a petrol car guy) for petrol enthusiasts.

My wife on the other hand wants something akin to a Rivian or Gravity.

You do you. Purchase what makes you satisfied. If we ever cross paths, I would love to swap cars if you do not have a Lucid by then. I plan on bombarding my neighbor with his Audi S8, uncle with his c7 Stingray, and Mercedes dealership with their EQS AMG to swap cars and feel the difference. Maybe I can hunt down a 911 owner in my area, unless you know one.

I understand what you are saying and yes to engineers it is a big deal, but it is not a big deal in the big picture of buying a car.

When I set the drivers seat of our Model S Plaid to my preferred driving position and then do the same thing in our Lucid Air Dream Edition, there is 9.5" more fore-aft legroom in the Lucid's rear seat than in the Tesla's. The much more capacious interior of the Lucid in a body of the same dimensions as the Model S is the result in considerable part of the incredible compactness of the Lucid drive units. For most sedan buyers, this kind of interior room increase is a very big deal. In fact, it's the reason we invariably opt for the Lucid over the Tesla any time friends are joining us on an outing.

When I set the drivers seat of our Model S Plaid to my preferred driving position and then do the same thing in our Lucid Air Dream Edition, there is 9.5" more fore-aft legroom in the Lucid's rear seat than in the Tesla's. The much more capacious interior of the Lucid in a body of the same dimensions as the Model S is the result in considerable part of the incredible compactness of the Lucid drive units. For most sedan buyers, this kind of interior room increase is a very big deal. In fact, it's the reason we invariably opt for the Lucid over the Tesla any time friends are joining us on an outing.
This is a very big point and I would agree with you. It is why I put a reservation down on Lucid, spacious luxury design. I would ask you this, the leg room in the back with the additional battery pack seems to drive the knees up and looks uncomfortable, why I choose the Pure. The seating leg height is something I know would bother me, but how often would I sit back there...I would not my kids to sit like that. The Pure does appeal to me, but I think I have just lost my passion with all the troubles. In all my earlier posts I was so excited, if Lucid can make 22k cars this year then I should have a Pure easy, now I don't think it's possible in 2023 (maybe Q4 23). I asked myself if I won the lotto would I buy a Lucid and my answer is No. That is just me though.

Has anyone sat in an EQS as well for comparison? I have not had the chance to test drive the Lucid. The backseat of the EQS felt like I was perched up on high with the front seat closer than I expected from reviews.

Growing up riding to school in the back of an Elantra, I must say the comparison and any slight discomfort of the raised leg position for my kids is a non-issue. However, adults and guests riding in the back is a different story. Is it uncomfortable? Reviews are all over the place on it.

like nolimit, I too was looking for a luxury EV and also wanted a 4-door ( have had only SUVs and sports cars). I ordered the Lucid just before the EQS was unveiled. I never did see a Lucid before ours was delivered two weeks ago but I did go see an EQS while our Lucid was on order. My impression was… they did a lot of work on aerodynamics and interior creature comforts but it was lacking in driving characteristics and interior space. Then there’s actual price you pay for what you want in the car… it was a no go.
To be honest I would not be on this forum if Mercedes offered the S580e hybrid in the states but they don’t. Now we have the Lucid GT and my wife and I both love it. It’s literally drives more like an S600 than an EQS but it’s quieter. And yes, we have had a few glitches thus far but nothing major.
With all that said, there will be lots of choices in the next two years… no harm in waiting.

Back