• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Something for the Dream Drive Pro and Tesla proponents to consider...

Just posting this here for your consideration;
Watched the video; outlines all the reasons you can’t trust Tesla Autopilot/FSD, and also all the reasons you *will* be able to trust DD Pro. It specifically calls for using radar and vision, as well as LiDAR to weed out discrepancies, which is exactly what Lucid is doing.

Great video.

Watched the video; outlines all the reasons you can’t trust Tesla Autopilot/FSD, and also all the reasons you *will* be able to trust DD Pro. It specifically calls for using radar and vision, as well as LiDAR to weed out discrepancies, which is exactly what Lucid is doing.

Great video.
But LIDAR is doomed...doomed

My understanding based on the thread on DDPro vs DD features, is that base DD cars without Lidar will still have adaptive cruise and lane keep assist (just no autosteer which is a DDPro feature).

I assume even non-DD Pro cars will still have radar. However, of the 2 Teslas outlined one was a 2020, which would have been running radar at time of crash, and the other a 2021, which may have been running radar depending on its build date.

I can’t justify the DD Pro cost (especially now, with loss of the tax credit), really need adaptive cruise but can easily live without autosteer. I think cameras / radar should be able to handle slowing for a slower moving motorcycle ahead on a freeway, and assume Lucid agrees if they are offering a camera/radar (but no Lidar) ACC solution.

Yesterday I was returning home from a trip to drop off my daughter at college. Near the final stretch of my drive (was not in my Lucid - it's been towed to their service center), I was the second car behind a Tesla Model S. The road is a very curvy, up and down road that goes on like that for about 4 miles. The Tesla driver was clearly using FSD beta (I had a Model X with FSD beta) and the car was moving between 15 - 20 miles per hour in a 35 mph speed limit, pissing off everyone behind it. It would sometimes comes to a near stop around tight curves and the driver had zero consideration for anyone behind it. The car would also move over the yellow line and you can see the car jerk back into its lane. When we finally got onto the main road, (two lanes/55 mph) the Tesla driver sped off doing over 70 mph, since my car was doing at least that and couldn't catch up. Eventually we got to a light and as I passed the Tesla driver from the left lane, I gave him the biggest middle finger I could and he just looked at me smiled like an entitled a-hole. Others also passed and a couple of cars honked at him. I am all for testing your FSD when you can but holding up a long line of cars behind you so that you can ride a narrow, one lane, curvy road using FSD beta was just bs.

Yesterday I was returning home from a trip to drop off my daughter at college. Near the final stretch of my drive (was not in my Lucid - it's been towed to their service center), I was the second car behind a Tesla Model S. The road is a very curvy, up and down road that goes on like that for about 4 miles. The Tesla driver was clearly using FSD beta (I had a Model X with FSD beta) and the car was moving between 15 - 20 miles per hour in a 35 mph speed limit, pissing off everyone behind it. It would sometimes comes to a near stop around tight curves and the driver had zero consideration for anyone behind it. The car would also move over the yellow line and you can see the car jerk back into its lane. When we finally got onto the main road, (two lanes/55 mph) the Tesla driver sped off doing over 70 mph, since my car was doing at least that and couldn't catch up. Eventually we got to a light and as I passed the Tesla driver from the left lane, I gave him the biggest middle finger I could and he just looked at me smiled like an entitled a-hole. Others also passed and a couple of cars honked at him. I am all for testing your FSD when you can but holding up a long line of cars behind you so that you can ride a narrow, one lane, curvy road using FSD beta was just bs.

I agree with everything you said with one exception: out here if you give the fickle finger of fate you risk being shot! For personal satisfaction, I have developed the ability to use the fickle finger of fate under the dash.

I agree with everything you said with one exception: out here if you give the fickle finger of fate you risk being shot! For personal satisfaction, I have developed the ability to use the fickle finger of fate under the dash.
You are absolutely correct and hind sight, I should have never done that. But, I did take a look at him before I did it and the grin he had on his face when he looked at me is when I gave him the bird and that's when he smiled.

I live in an area where this time of year there are lots of farm vehicles moving around. At least these hard working farmers usually drive over to the next field and in some instances maybe a mile or two, even with that when they see a long line behind them, they will find a spot to pull over to let the cars through.

I don’t even trust Lucid’s adaptive cruise control, let alone future self driving. It is still not behaving like it should. My Leaf’s ACC works much better.

I don’t even trust Lucid’s adaptive cruise control, let alone future self driving. It is still not behaving like it should. My Leaf’s ACC works much better.
How is this possible? I use the ACC constantly and it is as close to flawless as I’ve seen. What is your car doing that makes a Leaf better?

It reacts too slowly to cars slowing ahead, especially if the cars have slowed considerably from the normal speed of traffic.. My wife several times said “can’t you see the cars ahead, you need to start slowing down” while I had the ACC engaged. It’s abrupt slowing makes not only my wife but also me very nervous and I will often brake myself and then re-engage it after I have slowed. For reference, I have it set to the longest setting. I certainly would not ever trust it on a shorter one. The sensor settings have been recalibrated, but it is still not behaving. When it works properly, you can see the car ahead appear in the ACC on the dashboard. if it is just coming up on a slower vehicle moving at say 5 or 10 mph slower than you, it works fine. It is when the traffic suddenly slows where it doesn’t, even though there is plenty of room to react. You can see that the traffic has slowed, but the car does not recognize and adjust.

For another and different example, On the last trip while snaking up the I-5, the car would be slowing from 10 or 15 mph to 0 and then decide it wanted to speed up when the car in front was stopped. this happened several times and I had to disengage to avoid rear ending the car in front.

It reacts too slowly to cars slowing ahead, especially if the cars have slowed considerably from the normal speed of traffic.. My wife several times said “can’t you see the cars ahead, you need to start slowing down” while I had the ACC engaged. It’s abrupt slowing makes not only my wife but also me very nervous and I will often brake myself and then re-engage it after I have slowed. For reference, I have it set to the longest setting. I certainly would not ever trust it on a shorter one. The sensor settings have been recalibrated, but it is still not behaving. When it works properly, you can see the car ahead appear in the ACC on the dashboard. if it is just coming up on a slower vehicle moving at say 5 or 10 mph slower than you, it works fine. It is when the traffic suddenly slows where it doesn’t, even though there is plenty of room to react. You can see that the traffic has slowed, but the car does not recognize and adjust.

For another and different example, On the last trip while snaking up the I-5, the car would be slowing from 10 or 15 mph to 0 and then decide it wanted to speed up when the car in front was stopped. this happened several times and I had to disengage to avoid rear ending the car in front.
Interesting. I have had the exact opposite experience, particularly in sudden stopped traffic. It often slows even earlier than I otherwise would.

It has also never sped up into a car that was there.

It particularly impresses me when someone cuts into my lane; it notices, reacts appropriately, and slows down to maintain distance.

I share @Drendino ’s sentiment; it’s the best ACC I’ve ever used.

Oh, and I drive it consistently with 2/4 car lengths. Occasionally I’ll move it to 3, but I’ve had zero issues with 2.

I have found with Tesla's AP1 that the rate at which the car slows down depends largely on the distance following setting. At 2, it waits a frighteningly long time. At 5 it slows down slightly earlier than I'm comfortable with, often resulting in someone changing into the lane in front of me before I fully stop. Setting 4 seems just about right. Does the Air have a follow distance setting? Which value are you using?

I have found with Tesla's AP1 that the rate at which the car slows down depends largely on the distance following setting. At 2, it waits a frighteningly long time. At 5 it slows down slightly earlier than I'm comfortable with, often resulting in someone changing into the lane in front of me before I fully stop. Setting 4 seems just about right. Does the Air have a follow distance setting? Which value are you using?
The Air does have a follow distance setting, anywhere from 1-4. I set mine to 2, usually.

Ha sounds like FSD was even more drunk than the person behind the wheel.

Interesting. I have had the exact opposite experience, particularly in sudden stopped traffic. It often slows even earlier than I otherwise would.

It has also never sped up into a car that was there.

It particularly impresses me when someone cuts into my lane; it notices, reacts appropriately, and slows down to maintain distance.

I share @Drendino ’s sentiment; it’s the best ACC I’ve ever used.

Oh, and I drive it consistently with 2/4 car lengths. Occasionally I’ll move it to 3, but I’ve had zero issues with 2.
I will 3rd that. It’s the best ACC I’ve ever had, better than Mercedes as if someone cuts in front of you it doesn’t just slam on the brakes, but adjusts slowly. The one thing I do miss from the Mercedes is it did route based speed adaptation well, where it’s not gonna take a big corner at 80mph if the ACC is set to 80 but will slow down sensibly but not so slow as to go the speed limit. The Lucid will not adjust speed for obvious corners you need to slow down for. Maybe that will come with OTA or with Highway Assist?

I will 3rd that. It’s the best ACC I’ve ever had, better than Mercedes as if someone cuts in front of you it doesn’t just slam on the brakes, but adjusts slowly. The one thing I do miss from the Mercedes is it did route based speed adaptation well, where it’s not gonna take a big corner at 80mph if the ACC is set to 80 but will slow down sensibly but not so slow as to go the speed limit. The Lucid will not adjust speed for obvious corners you need to slow down for. Maybe that will come with OTA or with Highway Assist?
I find the Lucid ACC to be the "scariest" of all. Ford is the best and Mercedes second. IMHO. My Navigator has never put me in the position of second guessing the ACC and applying the brakes. My DE does that all the time.

One reason I put a reservation in on a Lucid is because it seemed like a “drivers” car. And has a steering wheel. My opinion with the self driving technology has always been that if you don’t want to drive, ride a bus. Even adaptive cruise control drives me nuts, and I find myself keeping it off. I was going to wax eloquent on this topic, but it would just be an opinion rant. I figure if the technology is ever adopted, then all cars will have to use it to make it work as advertised.

One reason I put a reservation in on a Lucid is because it seemed like a “drivers” car. And has a steering wheel. My opinion with the self driving technology has always been that if you don’t want to drive, ride a bus. Even adaptive cruise control drives me nuts, and I find myself keeping it off. I was going to wax eloquent on this topic, but it would just be an opinion rant. I figure if the technology is ever adopted, then all cars will have to use it to make it work as advertised.

I agree with you that one should want a car like the Lucid because it is a driver's car. But I disagree in part with you. How much actual "driving" can one do on a crowed highway? That is where ACC shines.

I agree with you that one should want a car like the Lucid because it is a driver's car. But I disagree in part with you. How much actual "driving" can one do on a crowed highway? That is where ACC shines.
My Corvette has cruise control but not adaptive. GM said that the Vette is a "driver's car" and did not need it. I disagree and find "plain" cruise control useless in traffic.

Back