Snow Socks

I tried the snow socks- I practiced the installation at home w good lighting and it was relatively easy. However when I was in Flagstaff Az and it was dark, winds was howling, snow obscuring vision, hands numb and wet it was much more difficult. I finally was able to put both on; but not on rear as too much snow packed into wheel well. I ended up putting both on the fronts which I figured would be a viable alternative w AWD. Drove not even 5 miles and heard some weird noise. I should have stopped and looked at wheels at that point but didn't. When I reached my destination, both front snow socks were MIA. I figured they must have fallen off somewhere along the route and honestly was just glad to get to our air BNB.

Here is the part that galls me: When I finally returned home to Cali, I got a flat and took the wheel off to change the tire and found remnants of the snow sock wrapped around the front suspension

View attachment 8786

This could have been a huge fiasco w torn wires and lines and such but luckily everything working just fine and looks good on direct inspection. I'm asking for a full refund from Amazon in the meantime. Perhaps this was operator error on my part, but even then, could have turned out much worse and I'm reluctant to try this again.

View attachment 8787
I am so sorry to hear about your problems with the snow socks. When I tried my practice installation, I have some problems getting them on my front wheels in my garage but no problem getting them on the rears. The front wheel problem was caused by the thing that grabbed your sock. From my practice I decided that they should only be used on the rear wheels. I never thought of the snow/ice filling the wheel well that you experienced. I did write up my practice efforts with this forum and recommended that the snow socks should only be put on the rear wheels to avoid the problem that you experienced. I am so sorry that you missed my post but with all of the posts now on this forum, I am not surprised. Thanks for sharing your real world experience. So glad you had no damage.

thanks but if you watch the video on Amazon, they show multiple different front wheels cars using snow socks. I think the real variable is the tight wheel well clearance in the Lucid. Might be a good idea to keep a small stick/ hook in the trunk to use to clear snow if packed in tight.

Lucid is now selling these snow socks in pairs on their website. I'm wondering if I should pick up a set and just keep in the frunk along with the spare?

Lucid is now selling these snow socks in pairs on their website. I'm wondering if I should pick up a set and just keep in the frunk along with the spare?

What spare - Lucid doesn't give you one of those.

What spare - Lucid doesn't give you one of those.
EZ Spare Wheel sells a spare tire in 20" that fits in the frunk. A bunch of us here have purchased the spare. There used to be a 10% discount for the owner's forum. This spare can also be purchased on Amazon and Ebay.

EZ Spare Wheel sells a spare tire in 20" that fits in the frunk. A bunch of us here have purchased the spare. There used to be a 10% discount for the owner's forum. This spare can also be purchased on Amazon and Ebay.
Does that work when you're running on 19" wheels?

Does that work when you're running on 19" wheels?
Yes. It's just a spare. I'm on the 21's and was told that the 20" spare shouldn't be a problem.

Back