Snow Socks

DJL

Verified Owner
I will be driving over the Rockies for a Thanksgiving trip to our daughter's house in Denver. I anticipate we will be driving through snow country. In that anticipation, I read the Lucid Owner's Manual and learned that tire chains and cables are not allowed. It recommends snow socks. Thus, I researched what snow sock were since I had never heard of them and the Seattle Service Center was not familiar with them. From what I learned, they are basically disposible traction coveralls for the tires. They may last a few applications but because they are made of non-steel material, they will wear out after some use. Fortunately, they are pretty cheap and easy to put on. Armed with that information, I bought three pair for a couple of hundred bucks and will be taking them with me. In prep for the uncoming trip, I tried them on last night. Doing so, I discovered that while they fit on the front tires (I have 19 inch wheels), the space between the tire and some unknown part of the car that is inside the wheelwell and very close to the top inside part of the tire, leads me to believe that at any speed over say 10 mph, would result in the material being grabbed by thie unknown part and would shread the snow sock.
However, all is not lost because they fit very well and easily on the rear tires. Thus, I am planning on just putting them on the rear tires and keeping my speed at or below the recommended 35 mph speed if I need to use them.
If anyone has any experience with such snow socks, or if you have any insights or thoughts, I would welcome them. Thanks!
Also, I am not sure how people with 20 or 21 inch wheels would be able to put anything on the front tires since the space between my 19 inch wheels and tires is already very tight. Just FYI on that.

I will be driving over the Rockies for a Thanksgiving trip to our daughter's house in Denver. I anticipate we will be driving through snow country. In that anticipation, I read the Lucid Owner's Manual and learned that tire chains and cables are not allowed. It recommends snow socks. Thus, I researched what snow sock were since I had never heard of them and the Seattle Service Center was not familiar with them. From what I learned, they are basically disposible traction coveralls for the tires. They may last a few applications but because they are made of non-steel material, they will wear out after some use. Fortunately, they are pretty cheap and easy to put on. Armed with that information, I bought three pair for a couple of hundred bucks and will be taking them with me. In prep for the uncoming trip, I tried them on last night. Doing so, I discovered that while they fit on the front tires (I have 19 inch wheels), the space between the tire and some unknown part of the car that is inside the wheelwell and very close to the top inside part of the tire, leads me to believe that at any speed over say 10 mph, would result in the material being grabbed by thie unknown part and would shread the snow sock.
However, all is not lost because they fit very well and easily on the rear tires. Thus, I am planning on just putting them on the rear tires and keeping my speed at or below the recommended 35 mph speed if I need to use them.
If anyone has any experience with such snow socks, or if you have any insights or thoughts, I would welcome them. Thanks!
Also, I am not sure how people with 20 or 21 inch wheels would be able to put anything on the front tires since the space between my 19 inch wheels and tires is already very tight. Just FYI on that.
You just explained perfectly why I have no choice but to get the 19s. And put snow tires on them every winter. You simply can’t drive a Lucid through the mountains here in winter with 20 or 21-inch wheels. At least until someone makes a snow tire for those wheels.

I'd be interested to hear your impressions on the snow socks after your trip. I don't particularly want to be swapping tires for weekend trips to Big Bear etc. in winter. Even if you could put chains on the wheels the ones i've used in the past still destroy the rims on low profile tires even when they say they're good for the tire profile etc.

Have you guys been able to find snow tires that meet the load and speed requirements? Having issues finding any snow tire that meets the requirements for a legit mechanic to instal.

Have you guys been able to find snow tires that meet the load and speed requirements? Having issues finding any snow tire that meets the requirements for a legit mechanic to instal.
The 19” tires are all season. Doesn't that include snow?

The 19” tires are all season. Doesn't that include snow?
For driving around city streets when it snows 4 or 5 inches, sure. For navigating through the mountains in winter, definitely not.

For driving around city streets when it snows 4 or 5 inches, sure. For navigating through the mountains in winter, definitely not.
Not likely you will be navigating anywhere in any Air trim with 5+ inches of snow.

There are two lucid created snow videos on YouTube. Search “lucid motors snow”.

I am very interested in this issue as I have to drive over snoqualmie pass to get to Seattle. Do you have to get snow tires put on at the Lucid service centers? Since they don’t recommend specific snow tires will they even agree to put them on?

Did you end up taking your car and use the snow socks? Wanted to know your experience as your trip has likely already taken place. I'm also looking for an option.

Did you end up taking your car and use the snow socks? Wanted to know your experience as your trip has likely already taken place. I'm also looking for an option.
We did take three pairs of snow socks with us but, fortunately, did not have to use them. I have posted the story of our trip up and over the Rockies in a post. You can see it by clicking HERE. We had to take a 1000 mile detour going south through Albuquerque, NM to avoid a series of snow storms that hit the Rockies during our trip returning home. I am finishing the write up of that trip and will post it in same posting thread, if you are interested. With each trip write up, I included all of the data I collected for the benefit of those, like me,, who are new to EVs and taking them over tall mountains during the cold temperatures of winter.

Search Youtube for “lucid motors snow”. There are 2 lucid produced videos of driving in snow.

Search Youtube for “lucid motors snow”. There are 2 lucid produced videos of driving in snow.
Thanks for sharing. If they are the one's I have seen, they look pretty impressive. However, snow fields vs icy, snowy roads can be different. I hope folks who have driving experience with the Lucid on snowy roads can share their insights.

I tried the snow socks- I practiced the installation at home w good lighting and it was relatively easy. However when I was in Flagstaff Az and it was dark, winds was howling, snow obscuring vision, hands numb and wet it was much more difficult. I finally was able to put both on; but not on rear as too much snow packed into wheel well. I ended up putting both on the fronts which I figured would be a viable alternative w AWD. Drove not even 5 miles and heard some weird noise. I should have stopped and looked at wheels at that point but didn't. When I reached my destination, both front snow socks were MIA. I figured they must have fallen off somewhere along the route and honestly was just glad to get to our air BNB.

Here is the part that galls me: When I finally returned home to Cali, I got a flat and took the wheel off to change the tire and found remnants of the snow sock wrapped around the front suspension

IMG_1843.JPG

This could have been a huge fiasco w torn wires and lines and such but luckily everything working just fine and looks good on direct inspection. I'm asking for a full refund from Amazon in the meantime. Perhaps this was operator error on my part, but even then, could have turned out much worse and I'm reluctant to try this again.

IMG_1848.JPG

Thanks for sharing. If they are the one's I have seen, they look pretty impressive. However, snow fields vs icy, snowy roads can be different. I hope folks who have driving experience with the Lucid on snowy roads can share their insights.
It was fair to good, and quite frankly that is on Pirelli. I have a feeling come next November my AGT will be wearing Pilot Sport A/S4's, based on past experience that will raise the cars competence in rain, snow, and dry pavement.

Back