SiriusXM Megathread

My advice is to get a Tidal subscription and listen in hifi and Dolby. I was initially concerned about the lack of Sirius XM but I honestly do not miss it one bit.
I miss it a lot.

My advice is to get a Tidal subscription and listen in hifi and Dolby. I was initially concerned about the lack of Sirius XM but I honestly do not miss it one bit.
That's a good idea, except for those times when we're out of cell coverage, like on I-8 between Tucson and the San Diego where the coverage is spotty. We just finished a long summer trip in our RV all over the west, and was glad to have consistent satellite everywhere we went - call me spoiled I guess. I was even hopeful to stream my Sirius account off my phone to the Lucid, but no go there either. I'll give Tidal a try - I never heard of the service before getting Lucid.

That's a good idea, except for those times when we're out of cell coverage, like on I-8 between Tucson and the San Diego where the coverage is spotty. We just finished a long summer trip in our RV all over the west, and was glad to have consistent satellite everywhere we went - call me spoiled I guess. I was even hopeful to stream my Sirius account off my phone to the Lucid, but no go there either. I'll give Tidal a try - I never heard of the service before getting Lucid.
Yea , you certainly make an excellent point.
I hadn’t heard of Tidal either . I researched it, signed up for hifi , learned about Atmos , and am pretty smitten with it. It’s a load of fun in the car , with all the speakers . Sounds fantastic and is a great companion while driving.

Even the SiriusXM hardware can have blind spots. There are certain places where I was too close to some buildings or under a bridge/underpass and my signal dropped on my old car. Now I just hit dead spots in the cellular reception with the LUCID. Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet.

Yea , you certainly make an excellent point.
I hadn’t heard of Tidal either . I researched it, signed up for hifi , learned about Atmos , and am pretty smitten with it. It’s a load of fun in the car , with all the speakers . Sounds fantastic and is a great companion while driving.
That's good to know, will check it out..

Even the SiriusXM hardware can have blind spots. There are certain places where I was too close to some buildings or under a bridge/underpass and my signal dropped on my old car. Now I just hit dead spots in the cellular reception with the LUCID. Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet.
That's true, and I'm finding blind spots due, allegedly, to interference from 5G too, but only in urban environments. Will have to check out the Tidal service.

I miss it alot too. Issue isn't just music, it's content and the ability to channel surf mindlessly while driving. Don't like what's on? Use your steering wheel controls to flip to another station (news/comedy/sports/music etc).

Tried the Sirius XM app through bluetooth but there isn't an easy way to shuffle through stations through the car's interface. Hoping that one day with CarPlay there will be more functionality.

In addition to the satellite vs LTE issue, Sirius XM offers ad-free radio with, you know, actual human DJs (ok many are recorded but still). A coherent, fresh list of songs or other content. A few Internet radio stations offer similar experiences, but not the streaming giants.

I used to like Sirius XM, but have come to realize that they had a very limited play list rotation. You don't notice it quite so much in a car, you just surf to another channel. We play it in some of our operating rooms, so we tend to just put it on and let it play. When you listen to it continuously, it's not much more that 15 to 20 songs that play regularly. It does change over time, but for a period of time, it's the same stuff over and over. When I use it in my car, it isn't as noticeable because I am surfing channels fairly often. Then I started to wonder why I am always surfing...

It is a lot better on some of the channels when they have guest DJs. Those people usually have fresh music, or at least a fresh play list. But if you just put it on Hits1, BPM, the Spectrum, etc., and listen, it's the same stuff over and over. Then it drops out under every overpass, and you start to wonder why you are paying so much for the subscription.

I used to like Sirius XM, but have come to realize that they had a very limited play list rotation. You don't notice it quite so much in a car, you just surf to another channel. We play it in some of our operating rooms, so we tend to just put it on and let it play. When you listen to it continuously, it's not much more that 15 to 20 songs that play regularly. It does change over time, but for a period of time, it's the same stuff over and over. When I use it in my car, it isn't as noticeable because I am surfing channels fairly often. Then I started to wonder why I am always surfing...

It is a lot better on some of the channels when they have guest DJs. Those people usually have fresh music, or at least a fresh play list. But if you just put it on Hits1, BPM, the Spectrum, etc., and listen, it's the same stuff over and over.
100% agree but I think it's important to mention that they have a variety of Sports / News / Talk / Comedy etc that are like new/fresh all the time. Traffic / Weather too if you live in some of the major metros. I have it installed in my car just like @Alex

Some like SiriusXM, some don’t. Some like CarPlay, others AA, and others neither. I’d appreciate if Lucid at least gave us the choice!

100% agree but I think it's important to mention that they have a variety of Sports / News / Talk / Comedy etc that are like new/fresh all the time. Traffic / Weather too if you live in some of the major metros. I have it installed in my car just like @Alex
Can you give specifics of your setup? Curious as to how to get this done. Did you use one of the XM radio setups for sale by Sirius? Connect through an aux input? I wasn't sure if there was an aux available.

Last edited:
LOL @Alex explained it faaar better than I can even try to. But basically my radio itself sits in the cubby behind the pilot panel / tablet. The antenna sits on the rear deck behind the window shade. Wire's long enough to make it all the way from the back to the front

LOL @Alex explained it faaar better than I can even try to. But basically my radio itself sits in the cubby behind the pilot panel / tablet. The antenna sits on the rear deck behind the window shade. Wire's long enough to make it all the way from the back to the front
I guess my question is which radio did you use? How do you get it to interface with the sound system and play through the speakers? Does it BlueTooth connect? Go through an Aux connection hard wired? Using an FM channel?

Last edited:
I know it's a bit of a PiTA, but Tidal allows you to download lists/stations, which can be played offline, much like Pandora does. That would allow you to still listen to music if there's no LTE signal via your Bluetooth connection.

Still hoping they make the USB port accessible to data so that I can play all my old albums I ripped from CD.

I listen almost exclusively to talk programs on SiriusXM. Tidal doesn't have live talk as far as I know..?

I listen almost exclusively to talk programs on SiriusXM. Tidal doesn't have live talk as far as I know..?
Not a direct substitute, but podcasts are pretty great for talk programs. There are literally millions of them, and they’re mostly free.

Takes a while to craft a list of shows you like, but once you do, you get an endless incoming stream of hours of content each week. Might be worth checking out.

Me neither. But once I tried the trial and now on their subscription, I play that same account on my iPhone, iPad, home theater, Amazon Echoes. It’s very Alexa compatible. Before I was just on Pandora. I highly recommended!

I guess my question is which radio did you use? How do you get it to interface with the sound system and play through the speakers? Does it BlueTooth connect? Go through an Aux connection hard wired? Using an FM channel?
My radio is the Onyx Plus. I have it transmitting through the car speakers via a FM Transmitter I bought off Amazon. If I were do it again, I would simply bypass the Onyx Plus radio and buy their new offering - SiriusXM RoadyBT. Works over Bluetooth. Problem solved with trying to find a dang FM station that's not too staticky. I bought the Onyx Plus only to realize a month or so later that they introduced this Bluetooth radio.

Back