Sentry Mode

DougB

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring Air Rawl
When will Lucid create and download a security system "Sentry Mode" that alerts (lights flash) and captures (video) a potential thief/vandal?

Rivian had "Gear Guard," a type of sentry mode, at launch. Frankly, I doubt that this is something that current Lucid Airs can be upgraded to support without some kind of hardware upgrade. The cameras are there, and and proximity sensors may be there, but the data storage, and a means to access the stored data is not.
We have no reason to assume that the storage on the car is inadequate, or that they won’t stream it to the cloud. Also, they could always open up storage via a USB key. Basically, I see no reason they couldn’t easily add this to existing vehicles.

Teslas require a thumb drive to store the data. But you are right; without the USB ports having access to the computer, you can’t even do that with the Air. Unless the data limitation on the USB ports of the Air is in software. In that case, they could open the ports and let you store the data that way.
The jury is still out, but connecting an Android phone does now ask if you want to put it in storage mode (I forget what they call it). It didn’t used to do that, and would only do that if the ports were wired for data, so my guess is that it’s a software block for now.

When will Lucid create and download a security system "Sentry Mode" that alerts (lights flash) and captures (video) a potential thief/vandal?
I was told by a rep that it's coming, this was 4 months ago, so I don't know where it's at in development, but I think it's pretty soon. I'd say maybe within another 6 months

I wish I had a Sentry Mode equivalent last week. I was using Highway Assist in a traffic jam and looking at the navigation to see what was up. I was in the left lane and HA was hugging the right line. Whilst reviewing the map I heard a motor revving and didn't pay much attention to it, upon hearing it for a second time I looked in the mirror to see a motorcyclist was trying to get through but couldn't due the the car hugging the line. I moved over to let him through at which point he thumped the window and then thumped the side mirror pushing it inwards. I didn't have any time to realize what had just happened until he sped off. If the cameras were able to record I would've been able to hand off to the cops for him being an ass. He literally would have been obstructed for 30 to 45 seconds so no need for that behavior. Luckily, he didn't break the side mirror and was able to pop it back out.

I wish I had a Sentry Mode equivalent last week. I was using Highway Assist in a traffic jam and looking at the navigation to see what was up. I was in the left lane and HA was hugging the right line. Whilst reviewing the map I heard a motor revving and didn't pay much attention to it, upon hearing it for a second time I looked in the mirror to see a motorcyclist was trying to get through but couldn't due the the car hugging the line. I moved over to let him through at which point he thumped the window and then thumped the side mirror pushing it inwards. I didn't have any time to realize what had just happened until he sped off. If the cameras were able to record I would've been able to hand off to the cops for him being an ass. He literally would have been obstructed for 30 to 45 seconds so no need for that behavior. Luckily, he didn't break the side mirror and was able to pop it back out.
I don’t think sentry mode on a Tesla activates while the car is moving? I could totally be wrong, but only the front dashcam and rear dashcam record while moving, I think? Someone please correct me.

Also, that is awful and that person sucks. Ugh.

I don’t think sentry mode on a Tesla activates while the car is moving? I could totally be wrong, but only the front dashcam and rear dashcam record while moving, I think? Someone please correct me.

Also, that is awful and that person sucks. Ugh.
You can set the Tesla to auto save a clip when you honk the horn. You can also tap the little camera icon, and it’ll save the last few minutes. And I believe any actual collision is auto recorded.

These are separate from Sentry Mode, which is only active when the car is in park and locked.

You can set the Tesla to auto save a clip when you honk the horn. You can also tap the little camera icon, and it’ll save the last few minutes. And I believe any actual collision is auto recorded.

These are separate from Sentry Mode, which is only active when the car is in park and locked.
Getting my Tesla options mixed up. @borski, this is the one I was referring to where you can tap the camera to record the last few mins. Sentry mode would still be a nice option but even if we had the ability to capture the last few mins of camera footage in the interim it would be a step in the right direction. People are just unnecessarily becoming dicks on the road and its time they need to be held accountable for their actions. Even if it's just a "Hey, you can't do that" by the cops it might be enough to make someone think twice about doing it again.

Getting my Tesla options mixed up. @borski, this is the one I was referring to where you can tap the camera to record the last few mins. Sentry mode would still be a nice option but even if we had the ability to capture the last few mins of camera footage in the interim it would be a step in the right direction. People are just unnecessarily becoming dicks on the road and its time they need to be held accountable for their actions. Even if it's just a "Hey, you can't do that" by the cops it might be enough to make someone think twice about doing it again.
I had a cyclist once slap my rear windshield and yell when I guess they thought I had done something they didn't like. I really can't fathom how stupid some people are. With a flick of my wrist, I could end this guy, and he thought it was a good idea to provoke me?

I had a cyclist once slap my rear windshield and yell when I guess they thought I had done something they didn't like. I really can't fathom how stupid some people are. With a flick of my wrist, I could end this guy, and he thought it was a good idea to provoke me?
Oh you don't know? Cyclists are the true owners of the road, not cars. You were driving your car on this guys path that is purely dedicated to him and obstructing him so no wonder you got a slap on the windshield. Just like my guy lane splitting, even though it's legal in CA, how dare I obstruct his path for 45 seconds! 😂

Another AAOS-based car I own did not allow USB data access for nearly a year after the car was introduced. And at that, the capability came and went with a couple of updates until it became stable. Some aspects of AAOS are currently underdeveloped compared to legacy automotive OS implementations.

this is a great feature especially when in comes to tracking down vandalism or sorting out responsibility for accidents . But it comes with privacy issues and there needs to be comprehensive security practices to ensure it doesn’t lead to a lawsuit like what Tesla is facing now

this is a great feature especially when in comes to tracking down vandalism or sorting out responsibility for accidents . But it comes with privacy issues and there needs to be comprehensive security practices to ensure it doesn’t lead to a lawsuit like what Tesla is facing now

It’s a great feature for making you feel like you’ll be able to track down vandals. But in practice, the cops don’t care.

So you are basically handing over private recordings of yourself and family to immature, unethical employees at Tesla for nothing.

That’s a little unfair. It could possibly help in an accident to establish fault. But that’s a lot to give up for a small chance of a better insurance outcome. You are better off installing your own dash cam, which at least isn’t phoning your videos home to the mothership.

When my house was recently burglarized, I have clear video of the crime from eight different perspectives. It mattered not. The police were apologetic, but there was nothing they were able to do even given this video.

When my house was recently burglarized, I have clear video of the crime from eight different perspectives. It mattered not. The police were apologetic, but there was nothing they were able to do even given this video.
I probably shouldn't ask, because I'm sure you already did, but if they have pictures of the burglars, then why can't they do anything? What more would they need to look for the people who did it?

Off topic but have noticed my highway assist likes to hug the right hand side also. I think it gets better after it is on for a while but have had it hug right side so closely it sometimes runs the car tires over the land divider bumps we have here in CA.

I probably shouldn't ask, because I'm sure you already did, but if they have pictures of the burglars, then why can't they do anything? What more would they need to look for the people who did it?
I don’t want to hijack this thread too much, but it is a known professional crime ring and they are always a few steps ahead of the police. Living close to an international border doesn’t help things.

My wife spent her career as a crime scene investigator and the police officer who responded was somebody she knew. They were very nice, gathered all the information, and tried to help. But they informed us that the chances of catching anybody are extremely low. This ring has been operating on the West Coast for a long time.

Look up “burglary tourism” or “South American theft groups”.

It’s a great feature for making you feel like you’ll be able to track down vandals. But in practice, the cops don’t care.

So you are basically handing over private recordings of yourself and family to immature, unethical employees at Tesla for nothing.

That’s a little unfair. It could possibly help in an accident to establish fault. But that’s a lot to give up for a small chance of a better insurance outcome. You are better off installing your own dash cam, which at least isn’t phoning your videos home to the mothership.
I can tell you that dash cam functionality can definitely help in accidents. My Tesla was totaled when I took a left turn out of my neighborhood at a light and an SUV ran the light of the street I was turning onto (it's a bad, blind corner). His insurance was disputing fault. Once they saw the dashcam video from my car, that was it. They immediately admitted fault. Lucid can't implement that feature fast enough for my taste.

Sentry mode is a nice feature, but it’s just fancy useless bells and whistles. I have it in my Rivian R1S. It is amusing to watch curious people trying to check inside of car or wondering if someone almost make a ding on your door panel, but they don’t really help much if shit happened.

What really useful is dash cam. Your insurance and police will appreciate those footage when there is need to figure out right/wrong or settlement.

I can tell you that dash cam functionality can definitely help in accidents. My Tesla was totaled when I took a left turn out of my neighborhood at a light and an SUV ran the light of the street I was turning onto (it's a bad, blind corner). His insurance was disputing fault. Once they saw the dashcam video from my car, that was it. They immediately admitted fault. Lucid can't implement that feature fast enough for my taste.
If its so important, spend the $200 and run a dashcam, takes all of 30 minutes to run the cable.

Back