Savage Geese just dropped his Sapphire review!

More grip until the tires get greasy and eventually tear.

It also depends on tire compound. Something like the re71r provides grip right away, good for autox. The re71r on a heavy car will quickly overheat and get greasy on a track.

The Cup2 compound needs heat to produce grip; r compound. However given the Sapphires weight and ambient temp, I wouldn't be surprised if grip came right away.

Formula 1 is the same. They are constantly managing tire temperature. You hear is all the time when they are preparing for a quali lap, and have to properly manage tire temp on their out lap so the tires produce max grip for their push lap. Sometimes you even hear about the tires falling off at the end of their push lap because they overheated the tire somewhere in the middle or beginning of their lap.
Yes, the higher temperature benefited the sapphires tires. However, would it also not mean that the power is decreased for cooling?

Yes, the higher temperature benefited the sapphires tires. However, would it also not mean that the power is decreased for cooling?
Glory run. You let the car sit in the garage until everything cools down as much as possible. Then you get one lap to give it the beans. They say this in the video, 1 to 1.5 laps till the car started to thermal throttle.

I bet Lucid could crank the power output on the car even higher but it would require much more monitoring of the battery cell temperature or maybe it would cause too much battery degradation.

I want see some rich guy go ham, and pull out the rear seats, throw a rear mounted radiator in the trunk, then duct it from the rear window through the radiator and out a hole in the rear clam.

Glory run. You let the car sit in the garage until everything cools down as much as possible. Then you get one lap to give it the beans. They say this in the video, 1 to 1.5 laps till the car started to thermal throttle.

I bet Lucid could crank the power output on the car even higher but it would require much more monitoring on the he battery cell temperature or maybe it would cause too much battery degradation.

I want see some rich guy go ham, and pull out the rear seats, throw a rear mounted radiator in the trunk, then duct it from the rear window through the radiator and out a hole in the rear clam.
This, and I also want to see how stable it is at 200 mph! Maybe one of our german autobahn friends can see?

The good thing about the sapphire is that I dont think collectors will garage it, they will use it how it deserves to be used.

Probably stock, considering it's a review.

Gt3 is a weapon, like a kitana. Drive it clean and smooth and it will reward you. The motor also needs to be rung out. Comparatively not much torque.

Z06 is more like a cleaver. It's easier to get it to do the same job, but the last ounce of perfect isn't quiet there. 90% of the function for a fraction of the cost. The motor has more torque.

Between the two it's not surprising the Z06 is faster on a track with not very many straights or long straights. Torque let's the car accelerate faster out of the apex.

I bet the gt3 would have the highest apex speed of the three. With the sapphire being the lowest due to weight. However the sapphire probably makes up for this in any straight due to the sheer acceleration from corner apex onto the straight. My guess is that I he Z06 would be next, followed by the gt3.

It would be extremely interesting to see what these three cars minimum im apex speed were and what their end of straight speeds were.
That makes sense.
Fun prediction. I think it will do much better.
For folks who like pissing contests and can pay for the admission, Ferrari, Mclaren, Lambo and a subset of Porsche customers, this car will be a novelty to add to their 5 to 25 vehicle fleets.

More grip until the tires get greasy and eventually tear.

It also depends on tire compound. Something like the re71r provides grip right away, good for autox. The re71r on a heavy car will quickly overheat and get greasy on a track.

The Cup2 compound needs heat to produce grip; r compound. However given the Sapphires weight and ambient temp, I wouldn't be surprised if grip came right away.

Formula 1 is the same. They are constantly managing tire temperature. You hear is all the time when they are preparing for a quali lap, and have to properly manage tire temp on their out lap so the tires produce max grip for their push lap. Sometimes you even hear about the tires falling off at the end of their push lap because they overheated the tire somewhere in the middle or beginning of their lap.
Also isn't the Cup2 tires better and more stickier? I think (from what I see) the Sapphire did extremely impressive considering it was on OEM tires.
This, and I also want to see how stable it is at 200 mph! Maybe one of our german autobahn friends can see?

The good thing about the sapphire is that I dont think collectors will garage it, they will use it how it deserves to be used.
They have something similar

Cup2 is a rcomp tire. However the 4s used on the Sapphire is using the Cup2 compound on the shoulders of the tire. Hence the "bespoke" aspect of the 4s.

Essentially they used the standard 4s rubber formulation on the center of the tire. Perfect for when the car is driving in a straight line. Then they used the Cup2 rubber formulation on the shoulders of the tire, for when the car corners and the contact patch rolls to the shoulder of the tire.

Cup2 is a rcomp tire. However the 4s used on the Sapphire is using the Cup2 compound on the shoulders of the tire. Hence the "bespoke" aspect of the 4s.

Essentially they used the standard 4s rubber formulation on the center of the tire. Perfect for when the car is driving in a straight line. Then they used the Cup2 rubber formulation on the shoulders of the tire, for when the car corners and the contact patch rolls to the shoulder of the tire.
Nevertheless, true cup 2 rs are bound to be faster at the expense of range.

I know @hmp10 has stated this before, and I love the sapphire, but the purpose of it is hard to see. Is it for only track purposes(as suspension/interior suggests), a daily bmw “m” kind of car(as tires suggest), or is it meant to be both? I love it how it is, yet I want to hear what it is meant to be!

I know @hmp10 has stated this before, and I love the sapphire, but the purpose of it is hard to see. Is it for only track purposes(as suspension/interior suggests), a daily bmw “m” kind of car(as tires suggest), or is it meant to be both? I love it how it is, yet I want to hear what it is meant to be!
It's not obvious? It's a measuring tool to see who has the biggest dick.

For folks like myself, it is a car to justify to the wife spending a quarter million when I finally get the green light and funds in one place. A car that serves dual purposes of unbelievable performance AND 4 door luxury sedan to tool around with the kids and wife (or trips for just us).

The GT has similar characteristics and thus justifiable. The only difference between the two is the turning the knob from a 7-8 to a 11 on performance on a scale of 10.

Knowing the car has the same interior, more or less, of the GT and GT-P lines, how do you not go "I want/need that!" during Scenario 12a aka Silverback Gorilla aka car sideways = adrenaline and testosterone mind dump.

Last edited:
Fun prediction. I think it will do much better.
For folks who like pissing contests and can pay for the admission, Ferrari, Mclaren, Lambo and a subset of Porsche customers, this car will be a novelty to add to their 5 to 25 vehicle fleets.
Well, I hope you’re right. Lucid has a knack for not selling very many of a truly excellent product.

Didn't lucid bring ovee a former executive at Chinese electric car start-up Nio, to lead its business in China? Jiang previously worked for Ford and Jidu Motor, the electric car division of Baid..
This means that he should have a good idea of manufacturing engineering as both Ford and also Nio have good manufacturing engineering and nio being on the ev side and Ford being judt raw expertise with how many years they've been around, a lot to be learned and adapted.

I don't have enough knowledge to opine much on manufacturing engineering at other companies. I do follow Sandy Munro, who was with Ford for many years and really drills down on manufacturing engineering in his teardowns, and know that he has commented that Ford's EVs are very unsophisticated in their build technology, with a clumsy profusion of parts, wires, connectors, and other potential failure points.

Breaking news: Elon Musk hospitalized as he finds out that Rawlinson armed with the Sapphire has a bigger dick than him with the Plaid

As I watched (and rewatched) that section of the video where Silverback Jack was slinging and sliding the Sapphire through the twisties like his ass was on fire, all I could think of was our Model S Plaid and how its front end won't even stay planted under hard acceleration on a straightaway -- and how impossible it would be to do anything with that execrable yoke remotely like what Jack did in the Sapphire.

I don't have enough knowledge to opine much on manufacturing engineering at other companies. I do follow Sandy Munro, who was with Ford for many years and really drills down on manufacturing engineering in his teardowns, and know that he has commented that Ford's EVs are very unsophisticated in their build technology, with a clumsy profusion of parts, wires, connectors, and other potential failure points.

The F-150 Lightning is an obvious ICEv conversion.

Mach-e started life as a compliance vehicle. Then the original vehicle was scrapped in favor of making a Ford Model Y.

Ford engineers still tried to repurpose as many ICEv parts as possible into the Mach-e. The original vision was a low volume vehicle but sold nationwide and sold in ~3x numbers as California only compliance vehicles. . Just like the Lightning. So all new BEV parts was not financially viable.

Up to now Ford's BEV efforts have been half assed.

The Ford T3 BEV pickup and Lincoln Aviator EV will be Ford's first ground up BEV designs intended for mass manufacture. And obviously after the Lincoln EV ramps up there will be an Explorer EV based on the same platform with less premium cabin and maybe smaller battery with less horsepower.

The F-150 Lightning is an obvious ICEv conversion.

Mach-e started life as a compliance vehicle. Then the original vehicle was scrapped in favor of making a Ford Model Y.

Ford engineers still tried to repurpose as many ICEv parts as possible into the Mach-e. The original vision was a low volume vehicle but sold nationwide and sold in ~3x numbers as California only compliance vehicles. . Just like the Lightning. So all new BEV parts was not financially viable.

Up to now Ford's BEV efforts have been half assed.

The Ford T3 BEV pickup and Lincoln Aviator EV will be Ford's first ground up BEV designs intended for mass manufacture. And obviously after the Lincoln EV ramps up there will be an Explorer EV based on the same platform with less premium cabin and maybe smaller battery with less horsepower.
I think that Ford is doing one of the best jobs among legacy,anufacturers. The lightning has a frunk, and they realize(unlike gm) that putting a big battery in everything will NOT solve the problem. BMW and Hyundai are some other legacies that are good IMO.

This video rocks. So nice to see some informed professional positivity about Lucid these days, not “I’m selling this cutting edge car for a Tesla cuz EA charged slower than advertised”. I’m happy to support this amazing auto maker that’s leading the charge for what’s possible with electrification. Based on what they’ve pulled off so far I’m not sure I believe Toyota’s claim they’ve pulled off some solid state battery tech that will go really far for less $. In terms of range, efficiency, performance and utility, Lucid is the only auto maker that’s managed to lead in all of those categories together.

Same interesting commentary from the creators of the video on a post on Reddit ....

I posted a response to one of the comments decrying the Lucid Air’s styling as “boring”. Only to find that my Reddit account had been “banned”. I have no idea why. I’ve gone on Reddit twice in my life since opening that account, and maybe, just maybe posted something once. I can’t imagine why I’ve been banned.

I posted a response to one of the comments decrying the Lucid Air’s styling as “boring”. Only to find that my Reddit account had been “banned”. I have no idea why. I’ve gone on Reddit twice in my life since opening that account, and maybe, just maybe posted something once. I can’t imagine why I’ve been banned.
You being banned for defending the Air’s appearance can mean only one thing: Elon has bought Reddit!!!

Banned from the entirety of reddit, or just the subreddit? Did you use any "spirited" language?

I think that Ford is doing one of the best jobs among legacy,anufacturers. The lightning has a frunk, and they realize(unlike gm) that putting a big battery in everything will NOT solve the problem. BMW and Hyundai are some other legacies that are good IMO.

This is the same shade Tesla fanbois throw at Air. It is using a 118 kWh battery for Dream and Sapphire while Model S is now using 20 kWh smaller battery.

Putting in a small battery solves even less.

Silverado EV 4WT has a frunk, 450 miles of range, and has 63 mpge while the most efficient Lightning XLT with big pack gets 320 miles range with 70 mpge while the fully loaded Platinum gets 300 miles with 66 mpge.

The high street performance Silverado RST is also expected to get 450 miles of range. I would take the 450 miles of range.

This is the same shade Tesla fanbois throw at Air. It is using a 118 kWh battery for Dream and Sapphire while Model S is now using 20 kWh smaller battery.

Putting in a small battery solves even less.

Silverado EV 4WT has a frunk, 450 miles of range, and has 63 mpge while the most efficient Lightning XLT with big pack gets 320 miles range with 70 mpge while the fully loaded Platinum gets 300 miles with 66 mpge.

The high street performance Silverado RST is also expected to get 450 miles of range. I would take the 450 miles of range.
Fair enough. I was referring to the future plans(expedition ev is a "bullet train") but I do see where you are coming from.

Also, I would say the situations are different as in the GM vs Ford debate, the MPGE's are closer than Tesla v. Lucid. (lucid has more) Also, the Silverado EV is a purpose built ev, while only the NEXT gen lightning will be designed ground up. It will be very interesting to see the results of that, but my money is with Ford(and rivian if the r1ts rear seat was bigger)

Back