RESOLVED Rough transition from HOLD to acceleration

PewPew

Verified Owner
Cars
Air DE-P, Model S
DE Number
My Dream makes a pretty noticeable sound that feels like the break disengaging when I hit the accelarator while it's holding at a light. Is this expected / normal for Lucids? I thought it was kinda normal at first but then I ended up driving a tesla and a mustang mach-e, both of which had a perfectly seamless transition to movement from hold.

It’s a normal sound on Lucids. If you disengage the hold feature you won’t get the brake hold release sound. I’m used to the sound and love the feature itself, so I’d never disengage it.

When I first got my car the sound was bad. They did an update that made it virtually go away. Then, a couple updates ago, it kinda came back. Not nearly as bad as originally but definitely louder than it had been after the first fix. Originally it was a thunk, now it is more of a click or like you said, just a little "rough."

It's like the brake they use for hold releases 1/4 second too late so you get the slight shudder as it releases. It makes sense because they don't know when you're going to hit the accelerator. However, other cars don't have this problem so I'm not sure why Lucid does it this way.

There's also a slight grab decelerating to zero using OPD on the Air, could use a little tuning. It's seamless on our XC40EV and our old Model 3.

There's also a slight grab decelerating to zero using OPD on the Air, could use a little tuning. It's seamless on our XC40EV and our old Model 3.
Do they also use the physical brake as a hold or is it a motor hold?

I turned off the 'hold' feature because of this. It sounds like a mechanical grind. The downside is the car rolls backward too easily without hold enabled. Can anyone affirm that the grind sound isn't indicative of multiple parts wearing themselves out?

When I first got my car the sound was bad. They did an update that made it virtually go away. Then, a couple updates ago, it kinda came back. Not nearly as bad as originally but definitely louder than it had been after the first fix. Originally it was a thunk, now it is more of a click or like you said, just a little "rough."
Ah I thought I was imagining it, I guess I got used to it being less noticeable from a few OTA ago. I agree lately the brake hold release has been quite jarring.

I would never have thought an OTA update could impact the feel or sound of the release since the hold implementation always seemed so mechanical to me. I will say my sound and feel upon release has remained the same through all the OTA updates I’ve received thus far.

I think it’s normal, I have the latest OTA and it’s a very unrefined sound releasing of HOLD. My tesla was much better in that regard

Do they also use the physical brake as a hold or is it a motor hold?
Both also used the physical brake. They seem better at smooth modulation as the car it comes to a stop or begins to accelerate.

I would never have thought an OTA update could impact the feel or sound of the release since the hold implementation always seemed so mechanical to me. I will say my sound and feel upon release has remained the same through all the OTA updates I’ve received thus far.
It's amazing how many things on this car can be tweaked in software.

When I first got my car a year ago, the "thunk" was definitely more pronounced. I haven't noticed it coming back, but I haven't been driving so much since the past few updates around the city.

It's normal and all Lucid vehicle has it. Confirmed with the service rep. Any other EV with a "hold" feature does not have this issue, not sure why Lucid does. Pretty confused, but you do just get used to it fairly quickly.

It's normal and all Lucid vehicle has it. Confirmed with the service rep. Any other EV with a "hold" feature does not have this issue, not sure why Lucid does. Pretty confused, but you do just get used to it fairly quickly.
It's probably just a loud parking brake motor installed in the Lucids. I doubt they will fix it in an OTA, just a quirk of the car

It's probably just a loud parking brake motor installed in the Lucids. I doubt they will fix it in an OTA, just a quirk of the car
Yeah, not entirely sure. The rep said is when the brake disengages in that millisecond (may be able to solve via OTA?). Very curious why other EVs were able to remedy this, but not Lucid.

I must be the minority because I don't remember hearing anything noticeable when I drive from a stop. And I have HOLD enabled.

I believe all brake holds use the regular brakes, not the parking brake, which is much slower and has a unique sound. Lucid has already addressed the brake hold behavior once in an OTA. I hope they'll refine it further as priorities permit.

Mine's really rough sounding, I don't think I'll ever get used to it :( . If the car wasn't so roll prone, I'd leave the HOLD off but it rolls super easily without it.

Knowing that other cars do this with imperceptible smoothness makes it worse 😓

Mine's really rough sounding, I don't think I'll ever get used to it :( . If the car wasn't so roll prone, I'd leave the HOLD off but it rolls super easily without it...
Could be that your brake rotors are a little rusty. A few hard stops could clean that up.

I've noticed this since the beginning too. Easily my least favorite part of an otherwise amazing car.

Back