RESOLVED Rough transition from HOLD to acceleration

I've noticed this since the beginning too. Easily my least favorite part of an otherwise amazing car.
I agree... the transition into "HOLD" braking and again out HOLD into accelerating just is as smooth with Lucid as it should be. The "not-to-be-named" other large EV company has made this incredibly smooth over the past few years, entirely through software updates, and one-pedal driving is so much more comfortable and quiet with their cars... hoping Lucid can address this in the future so it rounds it the overall "luxurious" feel that Lucid's driving experience provides in so many other ways.

I believe all brake holds use the regular brakes, not the parking brake, which is much slower and has a unique sound. Lucid has already addressed the brake hold behavior once in an OTA. I hope they'll refine it further as priorities permit.
@DeaneG There is also some possibility it got better with weather, coincident with the OTA, right? And now that it's cold again, it's back to thwack?

I agree... the transition into "HOLD" braking and again out HOLD into accelerating just is as smooth with Lucid as it should be. The "not-to-be-named" other large EV company has made this incredibly smooth over the past few years, entirely through software updates, and one-pedal driving is so much more comfortable and quiet with their cars... hoping Lucid can address this in the future so it rounds it the overall "luxurious" feel that Lucid's driving experience provides in so many other ways.
It really sounds like a bottoming out scraping grating noise, and there's a slight like resist/rough feel when you first depress the pedal. I gotta think they could do something about it. Suppose we assume they know by now.

It really sounds like a bottoming out scraping grating noise, and there's a slight like resist/rough feel when you first depress the pedal. I gotta think they could do something about it. Suppose we assume they know by now.
That is what rusty rotors sound and feel like.

That is what rusty rotors sound and feel like.
ELI5 for me - are you suggesting the car, which I've had for 3-4 weeks, has rusty rotors? That would surprise me but I guess anything is possible.

ELI5 for me - are you suggesting the car, which I've had for 3-4 weeks, has rusty rotors?...
It's just a very thin film of corrosion. In California at least, if I wash the car and roll it back into my garage, the next day, the rotors feel rusty the first time I use the brake pedal as I'm backing out. This happens on both our cars, not unique to Lucid by any means.

Brake rotors are microscopically rough and corrode in a very short time if wet.

Last edited:
Mine isn’t like that at all. It literally just feels and sounds like a break being let go. Which is what it is. If yours is grinding something else is wrong.

Mine isn’t like that at all. It literally just feels and sounds like a break being let go. Which is what it is. If yours is grinding something else is wrong.
To me it sounds like the mechanical release of the brake pedal which is what is happening.

Mine also is pretty noticeable. I got used to it pretty quickly but I can feel it disengage when I accelerate too. I want to call it a vibration through my leg but that’s not really accurate. Maybe more of a scraping like someone mentioned. I had it in my loaner as well for what it’s worth. It’s a quirk of the car that I’ve just come to deal with. Honestly the grab at the end of deceleration is more annoying to me. It’s extremely difficult to stop without the jerk at the end of decelerating. In fact OOS Dave, when he had his lucid, made a video complaining about this exact issue. Seems widespread but less annoying to others.

I noticed this in my test drive and later with my Touring. I'd describe the sound (in both) as a skkkrt sort of like someone drawing a chef's knife across a honing rod briefly. I don't feel it as a judder, only hear it, and I've gotten used to it once I decided it's normal.

I must be the minority because I don't remember hearing anything noticeable when I drive from a stop. And I have HOLD enabled.
Same here. Just confirmed. I’m accelerating normally, I’m not punching it.

When I picked up my vehicle the delivery associate specifically mentioned to expect that sound coming out of hold, that all Lucids have it. Couldn't remember his explanation though, but because of that I've chalked it up as normal. Mine is a metallic clunk as if the brakes when they disengage hit the other side or something.

It’s extremely difficult to stop without the jerk at the end of decelerating. In fact OOS Dave, when he had his lucid, made a video complaining about this exact issue. Seems widespread but less annoying to others.
Interesting. That I don’t feel at all. In fact I’ve been very impressed with how smoothly the car decelerates and then seamlessly applies the brake hold. It’s the reverse, when you begin accelerating from a stop (at least in my case) that could be improved. In the overall scheme of things, IMO, it’s really a minor issue.

I don't hear the hold sound or the motor as my music is always cranking! It's another one of those things that I ignore now until someone else points it out, then I go look for it, and then it sticks with me for a couple days until I start ignoring it again. 😀

ELI5 for me - are you suggesting the car, which I've had for 3-4 weeks, has rusty rotors? That would surprise me but I guess anything is possible.
Nah - rotors rust all the time. Wash them and leave them in your garage for a few days and you'll see rust on them. It's trivial to get off - hop on the highway, and actually use the mechanical brakes a few times. Give them a few good 'hard brakes' (when safe, obviously) and then check them out. That's normally all it takes to remove the thin layer of rust.

I guess it's variable from car to car. Mine is very noticeable and even includes a slight jerking. It kinda takes the joy away from blasting off from the light compared to other cars 😓 I'll give the breaking a try

Nah - rotors rust all the time. Wash them and leave them in your garage for a few days and you'll see rust on them. It's trivial to get off - hop on the highway, and actually use the mechanical brakes a few times. Give them a few good 'hard brakes' (when safe, obviously) and then check them out. That's normally all it takes to remove the thin layer of rust.

are you suggesting that the hold release is much quieter when the rotors are clean? It's an interesting idea. Lucid's High Regen is honestly so high i rarely if ever touch the brakes, so they may very well be rusty. I actually remember with my tesla that after some time, you would start to get some squeaking under "Hold" if you didn't use the brakes a lot, because of the same rust issue, but squeaking and the clunk sound of the brakes releasing on the Lucid are very different.

Back