Rivian purchase

I reserved an R1S in June of 21, last update was Q1 of 23, now it’s Q3. Maybe my wife will want it instead of her Tesla by then.
Did they postpone you again in Q1 23?

This just happened. So looks like Max Pack is happening for later R1S of 2023 and still keep the 3rd row. I see this as Rivian’s defensive R&D move to get ready for challenge of Lucid’s Gravity entering their market.

Just got another Rivian recall notice.
Hi Michael,
We have initiated a voluntary recall that affects your vehicle. Certain model year 2022 R1S and R1T vehicles fail to conform with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 208 “Occupant Crash Protection.”A sensor in the front passenger seat belt system may incorrectly report its status as "on" when, in fact, it is off. If a passenger is seated in the front passenger seat and this happens, the passenger air bag may not deploy as intended.

I don't think R1S will take market share from Gravity. I expect Gravity to be 10% less efficient than Lucid for the same battery. That would mean EPA 4.2 mi / kWh vs EPA 2 mi/kWh in R1S. So, in theory it will take 2 x longer in charging time for R1S vs Gravity. But then charging is a wild card with EA vs Rivian chargers. Rivian could very well compensate with better chargers. I expect the ride quality of Gravity to be much more car-like compared to R1S which is basically a truck with 7 seats. Finally, we have no idea what the pricing of Gravity will be. Will they have a 360 mile EPA version Gravity Pure 10% more than Pure and a 460 mile Gravity Grand Touring 10% more than AGT?

@Drendino
So you will have option to change your configuration again this year. Do you want to keep quad motors for torque vectoring drift rally or would you rather have dual motors to get 80 more miles range in max pack?

I would rather have the range and dual motors, but have a suspicion that I’ll either lose my OG pricing or place in line if I change. I really want whatever gets it to me quicker.

I would rather have the range and dual motors, but have a suspicion that I’ll either lose my OG pricing or place in line if I change. I really want whatever gets it to me quicker.
Ditto !!

but doesn't look good 4 me .. in permanent Limbo ...

little disappointed that RJ has me on the naughty list ...

RJNoR1S4U.jpg

.. and to think I even ordered the Bread!

I don't think R1S will take market share from Gravity. I expect Gravity to be 10% less efficient than Lucid for the same battery. That would mean EPA 4.2 mi / kWh vs EPA 2 mi/kWh in R1S. So, in theory it will take 2 x longer in charging time for R1S vs Gravity. But then charging is a wild card with EA vs Rivian chargers. Rivian could very well compensate with better chargers. I expect the ride quality of Gravity to be much more car-like compared to R1S which is basically a truck with 7 seats. Finally, we have no idea what the pricing of Gravity will be. Will they have a 360 mile EPA version Gravity Pure 10% more than Pure and a 460 mile Gravity Grand Touring 10% more than AGT?
I think Gravity pricing is going to be key. If Gravity gets launched north of 100k (which I expect), then I don’t think they will take any significant market share from Rivian. If they match pricing, I would expect the Gravity to crush the R1S in a couple of years.

Personally, I will give up my Rivian OG pricing if the Gravity gets priced to compete. The current economic climate is such that I think that there is a chance that Lucid will launch the lower end models first. I don’t know if they have the luxury of time to do it the way they launched the DE and GTs.

If Air 21” is 10~15% lesser efficiency that Air 19”, then Gravity at 20” ~ 22” with added weight would be 20~25% is my guess. 3.5 mi/kWh is still much respectable efficiency than Rivian 2.2 mi/kWh.
Rivian Adventure Network somehow understand Rivian own battery make up and render 198 kW speed flat charging curve even at mid SOC range. So that one Rivian wins in that department, but RAN is still very scarce at around National Parks mostly. And Lucid can charge faster at other networks.
Ride quality, Lucid will win for sure. Gravity will try to be like Escalade, not Wrangler.

hmm .. Rivian announced plans to raise $1.3B .. and stock is dropping >10% ($15.36 as I type this) .. ugh! ... likelyhood of me getting my pre-price-hike R1S is now worse than before.

😞

hmm .. Rivian announced plans to raise $1.3B .. and stock is dropping >10% ($15.36 as I type this) .. ugh! ... likelyhood of me getting my pre-price-hike R1S is now worse than before.

😞
Why?

They need capital to keep the lights on .. and:
  1. The reason I've been given that I'm on "processing estimate" hold is the lack of service centers near me. There are no current plans to implement service centers near me (for the next 2 years .. as currently posted) .. so, w/o capital for centers, there's even less chance of additional service centers [not yet planned] being built.
  2. See item 1. [Also, why go out of your way to deliver product that generates less revenue when there is a large backlog of higher revenue product they can produce w/ that additional capital.]
just biz .. I get it .. but wish I knew more about Gravity at this point.

They need capital to keep the lights on .. and:
  1. The reason I've been given that I'm on "processing estimate" hold is the lack of service centers near me. There are no current plans to implement service centers near me (for the next 2 years .. as currently posted) .. so, w/o capital for centers, there's even less chance of additional service centers [not yet planned] being built.
  2. See item 1. [Also, why go out of your way to deliver product that generates less revenue when there is a large backlog of higher revenue product they can produce w/ that additional capital.]
just biz .. I get it .. but wish I knew more about Gravity at this point.
I get it. I’m positive that I would get mine sooner if I agreed to give up my OG pricing. I think there are more questions about Rivian’s chance of survival than Lucid. I’m starting to think that it’s a good thing to wait.

I get it. I’m positive that I would get mine sooner if I agreed to give up my OG pricing. I think there are more questions about Rivian’s chance of survival than Lucid. I’m starting to think that it’s a good thing to wait.
I can see the argument that Lucid has a better chance of surviving because of the Saudi backing but at the same time if you look at the used car market, Rivian's are are not seeing the same massive depreciation as lucid. To me that says Rivian has more demand. You also don't see any available now is on the Rivian site.

I can see the argument that Lucid has a better chance of surviving because of the Saudi backing but at the same time if you look at the used car market, Rivian's are are not seeing the same massive depreciation as lucid. To me that says Rivian has more demand. You also don't see any available now is on the Rivian site.
Rivian definitely has more demand, no question. I think the make or break for Lucid is going to be the Gravity. I really hope that they can price it to compete with the Model X and RS1. I don’t know if they can afford to, but I just don’t know if there is going to be a big market for a 150k SUV in this economy.

Rivian definitely has more demand, no question. I think the make or break for Lucid is going to be the Gravity. I really hope that they can price it to compete with the Model X and RS1. I don’t know if they can afford to, but I just don’t know if there is going to be a big market for a 150k SUV in this economy.
If I do decide to follow through on my Lucid I will likely lease just in case they don't make it.

If I do decide to follow through on my Lucid I will likely lease just in case they don't make it.
There are several threads on this subject, but I wouldn’t lease for that reason. Lots of companies get restructured and after thinking about it a lot, I don’t see any downside if the PIF purchased the rest of the company. They are not walking away from Lucid because the Air is years ahead of the competition in terms of efficiency, performance and aesthetics. The software will come. I don’t see any scenario where Lucid goes away, although I do think that there will be meaningful changes to the management team.

I also don’t think Rivian is going away, which is why I’m keeping my R1S order. The only electric SUV that could catch the R1S is Lucid, but I have my doubts that they will be able to price it to win. If they do, all bets are off on Rivian. Literally nothing drives like a Lucid.

Back