Rivian purchase

Bill55

Verified Owner
Cars
Sapphire - Dream Edition
DE Number
A challenging road trip with EA chargers not working coupled with an email from Rivian deleting the tonneau cover in addition to previously deleting the kitchen, in addition to pushing delivery of the extended range battery option. With a 400V architecture, no CarPlay, and real world range that will probably be 300 miles at best. I’m going to cancel the Rivian order and keep my GMC order. Staying with ICE for my adventure / utility vehicle. When the new truck is a couple years old, I’ll place an order for the best EV truck available and maybe 3-4 years from now I’ll have an EV truck with longer range and there will be more charging infrastructure.

A challenging road trip with EA chargers not working coupled with an email from Rivian deleting the tonneau cover in addition to previously deleting the kitchen, in addition to pushing delivery of the extended range battery option. With a 400V architecture, no CarPlay, and real world range that will probably be 300 miles at best. I’m going to cancel the Rivian order and keep my GMC order. Staying with ICE for my adventure / utility vehicle. When the new truck is a couple years old, I’ll place an order for the best EV truck available and maybe 3-4 years from now I’ll have an EV truck with longer range and there will be more charging infrastructure.
The charging infrastructure really really needs to improve. That is the main factor holding people back.

I assume that you have (or had) an R1T on order. I just went to the website and it still has the Tonneau cover as an option, but the kitchen and tent (and a bunch of other options) are greyed out.

My wife has an R1S on order and she noticed that her order sheet is no longer showing the tent, but she never got an email. CS told her, "...we have removed these items to better improve them, as soon as they are back available you will have access to add them back." Had she not logged into her account, she never would've known .. and still no word on when she can expect delivery (reservation made in mid 2021).. frustrating

They said they are redesigning the tent and kitchen, so didn’t sound like it was going away, just temporarily unavailable.

They said they are redesigning the tent and kitchen, so didn’t sound like it was going away, just temporarily unavailable.
I should have noted it is the powered cover that is unavailable till.......

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 7.53.01 PM  Oct 23.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 7.53.01 PM Oct 23.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 98
I would like them to ensure software upgrades by EA or by Lucid don't break the charging network.

I should have noted it is the powered cover that is unavailable till.......
I sure hope they don’t cancel some of features of R1S bc supply chain issue. My specs weee all wiped out. They don’t even have saved design on their website like Lucid does.

I just checked EA history in mobile app. I had 18 charging sessions in 6 months. I only encountered twice where I couldn’t charge in EA, both happened in Greater Dallas area. That is .95 batting average. Pretty good track record, but for the two times I couldn’t charge in EA, I freaked out and called DA and thought I was in deep sh*t for low SOC remainder. Now after learning other charging networks in ABRP and PlugShare, I am more confident of longer distance.

I sure hope they don’t cancel some of features of R1S bc supply chain issue. My specs weee all wiped out. They don’t even have saved design on their website like Lucid does.
Have you spoken with a Rivian rep after your specs were wiped out? What was their explanation?

tbh imo if Rivian was intending on still delivering certain options either installed upon delivery of vehicle or to be installed after delivery of vehicle, Rivian should NOT have made these options unavailable on their site. This only creates more confusion and hysteria amongst their reservation holders.

If they were holding off on delivering certain options in order to either change their supplier or upgrade/redesign them, they should've just kept those options available on the online studio and just email the current affected orders / soon-to-be affected orders and promise to retrofit the selected options after delivery of their vehicles.

Even Tesla has done this with standard equipment in the past (i.e. usb-c plugs), and customers were happy enough to receive their vehicles sooner and retrofit their vehicles at a later date.

I just checked EA history in mobile app. I had 18 charging sessions in 6 months. I only encountered twice where I couldn’t charge in EA, both happened in Greater Dallas area. That is .95 batting average. Pretty good track record, but for the two times I couldn’t charge in EA, I freaked out and called DA and thought I was in deep sh*t for low SOC remainder. Now after learning other charging networks in ABRP and PlugShare, I am more confident of longer distance.
Unfortunately, we were at 32% and the next closest level 3 had us at 14% and it was out of service. The next closest we pulled in at 9%. Thankfully that worked or we would have been at a level 2 and a hotel for the night. Chargepoint and EVgo for me both tend to work, but a lot of sites are only one charger and if it is down... Plug share is pretty good, but once you are looking at one off level 3 the maintenance is very spotty. There is always an RV site for the included cable, but when you need 50-60% charge, that's a long wait if your not staying the night.

I have an R1T with Power Tonneau cover. Recently I received an email (attached) related to the Tonneau cover. I used quite often in the last five months of ownership and have not had any problems with it so far.

Attachments

• Rivian Tonneau Cover.jpg
    Rivian Tonneau Cover.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 100
Have you spoken with a Rivian rep after your specs were wiped out? What was their explanation?
Just explaination on the site to indicate disclaimer for the reservation deposit does not consider a commitment of purchase from seller and buyer. They will contact me for some for specs when ready for production. So basically, it is just based on market condition and availability of option when it is my time to get close to VIN. It makes sense that Rivian doesn’t want to lose money producing when it gets pushed back for years while inflation keeps going up.

I hope more people either cancel their orders or wait so I can get mine sooner since I want the manual cover anyways! Bring it on Rivian!

Just explaination on the site to indicate disclaimer for the reservation deposit does not consider a commitment of purchase from seller and buyer. They will contact me for some for specs when ready for production. So basically, it is just based on market condition and availability of option when it is my time to get close to VIN. It makes sense that Rivian doesn’t want to lose money producing when it gets pushed back for years while inflation keeps going up.
I have periodically taken screen shots of my pending reservation (starting with the announced increase in pricing earlier this year). I've been able to check what changed when logging in to check if estimated delivery date has been added to website (which is not yet there). That's the only way I've been able to identify what was changed (lately the removal of the tent). We've been waiting a while .. hope to hear something soon .. wife is getting antsy

79k ~ 80.5k R1S on sticker price.

Looks like the dealers are buying them for auction for 25~40% MSRP markup.

79k ~ 80.5k R1S on sticker price.

Looks like the dealers are buying them for auction for 25~40% MSRP markup.

I guess it makes sense .. If I were to place a reservation now for the same R1S that I have on order, I'd be paying $20K more (for the same car & options) .. and, of course, I have no idea when I can expect mine whereas these Launch Editions are available right now.

Back