Rivian is killing it on software!

How are you driving 350 miles between charges? On average and depending on DCFC station spacing people tend to average 10-80 or 20-80, which at best is 300 miles if you’re getting EPA 4.7 miles/kw…doesn’t quite add up. Are you saying you regularly do 5+ miles/kw beating EPA figures on road trips? If so, very impressive! 👏
Driving 300 miles at "Highway Speeds" (75-80mph) in an AGT is doable if you start out with 100% SoC. In my 780 mile drives (Phoenix to Sausalito), I start with 100% SoC and stop for 2 DCFCs (typically, 10% to 80% SoC). It takes ~12 hours to make the trip. This is equivalent toa ~1/3 Cannonball run! ;)

Honestly, I rather break it up into 2 days. But I travel with my 14yr (going on 15yr) old dog and it is more expedient if we do it in a day without having to check into a hotel.

I don't consider my trips "typical" road trips. I think @joec's cadence is more realistic.

If I understood you correctly, your question is: "how do you do 350 miles in a GT if you are constrained to a 20-80% SoC charging cadence", correct?

Driving 300 miles at "Highway Speeds" (75-80mph) in an AGT is doable if you start out with 100% SoC. In my 780 mile drives (Phoenix to Sausalito), I start with 100% SoC and stop for 2 DCFCs (typically, 10% to 80% SoC). It takes ~12 hours to make the trip. This is equivalent toa ~1/3 Cannonball run! ;)

Honestly, I rather break it up into 2 days. But I travel with my 14yr (going on 15yr) old dog and it is more expedient if we do it in a day without having to check into a hotel.

I don't consider my trips "typical" road trips. I think @joec's cadence is more realistic.

If I understood you correctly, your question is: "how do you do 350 miles in a GT if you are constrained to a 20-80% SoC charging cadence", correct?
@joec has a touring. I do understand @momo3605 's concern here, since I imagine most users don't want to run the car right down to the wire!

@joec has a touring. I do understand @momo3605 's concern here, since I imagine most users don't want to run the car right down to the wire!
I have run my car down to 6% a few times. But yes, like I said "depending on weather" I can easily get over 300 miles on a nice summer's day when I start at 100% and push it that far. The best I ever did was 360, which I rounded down to 350. In winter, 280 is more realistic.

Given I do road trips of this distance a handful of times per year, running the battery between 100% and 6% is not doing any real damage. People get way too obsessed with their battery health. I've found no matter what I do, I end up losing around 5-10% the first year, then just a few percentage points more per year thereafter. Which is in line with expectations.

Don't be stupid and charge to 100% and run it to zero every other day. And don't use L3 chargers more than needed.

Everything else is noise.

Why do you say double the amount of charging stops? Surely the GT does not have twice the range of a Rivian Large pack? 20-25% more from my experience.
My number may be skewed to my personal use case. When I drive Lucid Air GT, I tend to go fast with just 2 passengers and drive down to 10% and under SOC in high confidence. However, when I drive Rivian R1S for long trip, I have 6 passengers loaded with luggages and for caution, I would drive down to about 20% SOC to get charge. Mainly because I am more prudent in 7000 lbs EV and give more restroom break consideration to my passengers.

To me, these charging stops are inconsequential in long road trip, as long as we have good time and enjoy the journey. I do personally prefer RAN over EA and EVGo for confidence and better charging curve. Overall, I have good CCS DCFC charging experience in Texas, Arizona and Nevada, mediocre experience in California and worst experience in New Mexico as there were hardly any once get off interstate.

I have run my car down to 6% a few times. But yes, like I said "depending on weather" I can easily get over 300 miles on a nice summer's day when I start at 100% and push it that far. The best I ever did was 360, which I rounded down to 350. In winter, 280 is more realistic.

Given I do road trips of this distance a handful of times per year, running the battery between 100% and 6% is not doing any real damage. People get way too obsessed with their battery health. I've found no matter what I do, I end up losing around 5-10% the first year, then just a few percentage points more per year thereafter. Which is in line with expectations.

Don't be stupid and charge to 100% and run it to zero every other day. And don't use L3 chargers more than needed.

Everything else is noise.
What is a L3 charger?

Is that the same as Electrify America charging station?
Yes, EA stations are L3 chargers.

L2 chargers are your home EVSE or a 14-50 plug or a destination charger at a hotel or similar.

Back