[RESOLVED] LEAVE-REGEN-ALONE

I have had my Touring since April ‘23 and I know how my car responded in cold weather in previous months in terms or regenerative braking. It is definitely different now. Originally regenerative braking was lessened around 90% and higher. At 80% charge now, one pedal driving feels like coasting when I ease up on the pedal. I am also receiving the warning at 80% charge that regenerative braking has been reduced. So, it’s not our imagination running wild if confirmed by the car itself.i prefer the original standard.
 
As everyone knows, there are three drive modes and also three settings for regen for each drive mode. It would be helpful if we would identify which mode(s) and rengen level(s) we are talking about when we post our personal experiences. Otherwise I think we risk talking past each other. Just a friendly PSA 😎
 
I've driven the car at similar temperatures yesterday and today. Yesterday the regen (and the power consumption) was pretty bad, almost non-existent. Today it was fine. On Thursday, at much lower temperatures (at least 25 degrees lower), the regen was also fine.

There is something else going on here...
 
I've driven the car at similar temperatures yesterday and today. Yesterday the regen (and the power consumption) was pretty bad, almost non-existent. Today it was fine. On Thursday, at much lower temperatures (at least 25 degrees lower), the regen was also fine.

There is something else going on here...
As others have pointed out, it’s not the outside temperature that’s important; it’s the battery temperature that matters. Right after a charging session, the battery will be warm and regen will be high. Also, there may be software that keeps track of your driving schedule and pre-conditions the battery. I notice reduced regen on my Tesla when I start driving outside of my “normal”schedule. I suspect there is some tracking of my habits as my navigation list changes between morning/evening/weekend/location. I don’t know Lucid yet, but Tesla is anticipating my needs. I don't know whether to be happy at the convenience or scared that they are collecting that data…
 
I have had my Touring since April ‘23 and I know how my car responded in cold weather in previous months in terms or regenerative braking. It is definitely different now. Originally regenerative braking was lessened around 90% and higher. At 80% charge now, one pedal driving feels like coasting when I ease up on the pedal. I am also receiving the warning at 80% charge that regenerative braking has been reduced. So, it’s not our imagination running wild if confirmed by the car itself.i prefer the original standard.
Similar data point here: I charge to 80% at home, and now for the first time I get the "reduced regen braking" when I start driving in the morning. This is my second winter with the car, the warning never appeared last year. FWIW, I haven't noticed different braking behavior though. I almost always drive in Smooth mode, full regen. YMMV!
 
I think it's telling when over the last 7 days the hottest topics are ALL about issues with the car...! Arguably, the forums do attract more negative comments but still...doesn't inspire confidence 😞

View attachment 34897

As everyone knows, there are three drive modes and also three settings for regen for each drive mode. It would be helpful if we would identify which mode(s) and rengen level(s) we are talking about when we post our personal experiences. Otherwise I think we risk talking past each other. Just a friendly PSA 😎
Thanks and agree. I’m on Smooth with high regen. The sensation of no regen and even slight brief acceleration is occurring between 25-40mph , the alert of ‘regen is limited’ is occurring at higher speed, 40-55mph. Temps in the 50s. Only started happening after 2.8.16. SOC 50-80%
 
As others have pointed out, it’s not the outside temperature that’s important; it’s the battery temperature that matters. Right after a charging session, the battery will be warm and regen will be high. Also, there may be software that keeps track of your driving schedule and pre-conditions the battery. I notice reduced regen on my Tesla when I start driving outside of my “normal”schedule. I suspect there is some tracking of my habits as my navigation list changes between morning/evening/weekend/location. I don’t know Lucid yet, but Tesla is anticipating my needs. I don't know whether to be happy at the convenience or scared that they are collecting that data…
If the car spent in the garage the whole night, I am pretty sure the battery temperature is the same as the outside temperature.

But thank you for reiterating the obvious.
 
Is your Tesla in a garage overnight? Do you precondition it, charge it in the morning before you leave, or anything like that which may pre-heat the battery? Keep in mind it's not the outdoor temperature that does it, it's the battery temperature. Takes hours of idle time in ambient cold to cold-soak the battery.

I don't have firsthand experience with a Tesla in winter, all I know is I also see many forum posts about how Tesla regen is limited to nonexistent below ~70ºF as well.

Edit: Actually the Tesla forums brought up what may be an interesting distinction: For those of you who have a heat pump-equipped car, Tesla or Lucid, the heat pump is drawing heat away from the battery pack to warm the cabin. Those of us with resistive heaters may actually be warming the battery a little bit instead.
🤔
My garage was in the low 50s, I never precondition at home, I wasn’t charging (car sat for several days at around 80%) and yes my car has a heat pump. In no way is regen limited to “non-existent” below 70 degress - that is totally false and would eliminate any regen for a massive part of the country for most of the year.

I do have firsthand experience with Tesla in winters, albeit not in temperatures below about 20 degrees. Even so, the regen has not lessened for cold temps ever for me, only when the SOC is full. I guess you don’t have to believe me and it doesn’t matter anyway since the topic is why/how Lucid’s regen has changed, not Tesla’s. It does seem like the default when things go wonky with a Lucid is to say “well that happens to Tesla too”.
 
I think one major observation in this conversation is that I have a Gravity GT that I have been driving equally as often as my Air. The GGT has zero alerts for regen issues and is behaving completely normally. Also on Smooth with high regen, and similar SOC. Sure it has a dual motor but this is clearly not normal Air behavior and not just temperature or SOC. Air Software needs to be updated back to whatever regen setting they changed.
 
My garage was in the low 50s, I never precondition at home, I wasn’t charging (car sat for several days at around 80%) and yes my car has a heat pump. In no way is regen limited to “non-existent” below 70 degress - that is totally false and would eliminate any regen for a massive part of the country for most of the year.

I do have firsthand experience with Tesla in winters, albeit not in temperatures below about 20 degrees. Even so, the regen has not lessened for cold temps ever for me, only when the SOC is full. I guess you don’t have to believe me and it doesn’t matter anyway since the topic is why/how Lucid’s regen has changed, not Tesla’s. It does seem like the default when things go wonky with a Lucid is to say “well that happens to Tesla too”.
I think you misunderstood some things in my reply. First of all, I'm not dismissing you, just trying to get to the bottom of the difference since I've been driving in 0-50ºF winters for three years now and it's been the same experience (noticeably limited regen) each year, consistently, every day of winter. Also not saying "it's okay just because Tesla does it too," but "all EVs are like this [to some degree] for now." Finally, just to be clear, I did not mean Tesla's regen is non-existent below 70 degrees, I meant it is in the range somewhere between limited and non-existent with the first noticeable shift being somewhere around 65-70 degrees. Again purely based on reading Tesla forums. Not trying to argue with your experiences, all I'm saying is at least some subset of Tesla owners (and all other EV owners to my knowledge) experience this same exact documented phenomenon we're talking about with Lucid. I'll admit I did misread your original post to say that it never happens with Teslas, rather than it has never happened with your Tesla. Different statements.

And again, personally I think this all should be moot, because yes, predictability is very important to driving safety so I think all EVs with OPD should blend in friction braking automatically. Driving dynamics should never depend so significantly on the temperature or the state of charge or similar variables.
 
I too am not discounting the concern raised in this thread. But I do want to share my personal experience Teslas too withhold / reduce regen when the temps are below some predefined threshold. As recent as last night, I saw this notification on my MY about the regen when the battery was about 70%. And the temp was about 50 degrees F.
 
I too am not discounting the concern raised in this thread. But I do want to share my personal experience Teslas too withhold / reduce regen when the temps are below some predefined threshold. As recent as last night, I saw this notification on my MY about the regen when the battery was about 70%. And the temp was about 50 degrees F.
What we're experiencing and discussing appears to be temperature independent
 
Here's some empirical evidence from a sample size of 1. I drive a 2025 Air Pure and have had very little regen since 2.8.7.
  • I park in a garage
  • I live in the south, so it doesn't get that cold
  • I leave my car plugged in all the time (level 1), and charge to 80% every night
  • Since 2.8.7 my regen has behaved exactly like when the car is charged to 100%, i.e. very little regen and having to use friction brakes all the time vs never.
  • Very infrequently since 2.8.7 (3 or 4 times so far), I have gotten the message saying regen is temporarily reduced. Every time it happened I was between 77%-79% charge. I never saw it before 2.8.7 except when I was at 100%
  • The regen issues started when it was still in the 70s in the morning and 80s during the day, so not related to the cold
  • Since 2.8.7, my regen has behaved exactly the same every day regardless of temp. That is to say, as if the car was charged to 100%, so practically no regen.
  • Yesterday I changed my charge setting to stop at 75%
  • This morning, one of the coldest so far this year (48 F), my regen was vastly improved, almost back to normal
  • My efficiency is horrendous. My average after 4k miles is 4.11 but my drive to work today, which normally falls in that >4m/kwh range, was 2.77. I have never seen it that low. I didn't even have the heat on for about 15% of the drive (I did use the seat heater though)
So from my perspective, the regen is borked from 2.8.7 and has absolutely nothing to do with the weather. Today, one of the coldest days of the year, I had almost normal (pre-2.8.7) regen because I only charged to 75%. The car apparently thinks 80% SOC = 100% SOC when setting the regen profile.
 
Here's some empirical evidence from a sample size of 1. I drive a 2025 Air Pure and have had very little regen since 2.8.7.
  • I park in a garage
  • I live in the south, so it doesn't get that cold
  • I leave my car plugged in all the time (level 1), and charge to 80% every night
  • Since 2.8.7 my regen has behaved exactly like when the car is charged to 100%, i.e. very little regen and having to use friction brakes all the time vs never.
  • Very infrequently since 2.8.7 (3 or 4 times so far), I have gotten the message saying regen is temporarily reduced. Every time it happened I was between 77%-79% charge. I never saw it before 2.8.7 except when I was at 100%
  • The regen issues started when it was still in the 70s in the morning and 80s during the day, so not related to the cold
  • Since 2.8.7, my regen has behaved exactly the same every day regardless of temp. That is to say, as if the car was charged to 100%, so practically no regen.
  • Yesterday I changed my charge setting to stop at 75%
  • This morning, one of the coldest so far this year (48 F), my regen was vastly improved, almost back to normal
  • My efficiency is horrendous. My average after 4k miles is 4.11 but my drive to work today, which normally falls in that >4m/kwh range, was 2.77. I have never seen it that low. I didn't even have the heat on for about 15% of the drive (I did use the seat heater though)
So from my perspective, the regen is borked from 2.8.7 and has absolutely nothing to do with the weather. Today, one of the coldest days of the year, I had almost normal (pre-2.8.7) regen because I only charged to 75%. The car apparently thinks 80% SOC = 100% SOC when setting the regen profile.


Side note, 2.77 miles/kwh is the higher than i've had since mid november but i live in Canada haha
 
Since the last two days my car refuses to go into deep sleep and I am losing up to 15% SOC overnight...when I go stand next to it in teh garage...I can hear a slight hum in the background...any thoughts?
 
Back
Top