RESOLVED Grill aero shutters stuck

Mine acted up again tonight. Ran a few errands in 14 degree ambient and once back in the garage the clicking started. This time with my fingers I momentarily pried the passenger side upper shutter downward. Once I got it moving the motor took over, opened and then closed the shutters. It was done after that. While moving however it seemed that the shutter pivots were “sticking”, causing a creaky plastic on plastic noise. I’m thinking that there’s enough thermal contraction of the plastic pivot surfaces to overpower the shutter motor. I may try to shoot some lubricant in those spots to see if it makes a difference.

I don't have these symptoms exactly -- but could these grill shutters be the reason for a faint fluttering sound above about 70 mph? The sound comes from somewhere in front, and my wife likens it to a leaf stuck somewhere.

I don't have these symptoms exactly -- but could these grill shutters be the reason for a faint fluttering sound above about 70 mph? The sound comes from somewhere in front, and my wife likens it to a leaf stuck somewhere.
Alternately, could you have an actual leaf stuck in one of the air flow channels? During the brief 2 weeks we had our AGT (before it went to the body shop) we noticed that these were "leaf magnets" (it was parked right next to a neighbor's tree which drops lots of leaves).

I have this over 80 mph. I haven't reported it yet because I'm too lazy haha. I actually don't even know where the grill aero shutters are! Going to look now.

Alternately, could you have an actual leaf stuck in one of the air flow channels? During the brief 2 weeks we had our AGT (before it went to the body shop) we noticed that these were "leaf magnets" (it was parked right next to a neighbor's tree which drops lots of leaves).
Well, it's been happening ever since we got the car -- and the delivery location didn't seem particularly leafy. Still, it's worth looking at closely ...

I have this over 80 mph. I haven't reported it yet because I'm too lazy haha. I actually don't even know where the grill aero shutters are! Going to look now.
I actually did report it, and the first response from the service advisor was -- sorry, we can't drive the car more than 65. It was rush hour, so there literally wasn't a nearby freeway where I could take the technician along to reproduce it.

Mine goes in for this in a week and a half. My working theory is air is getting past the frunk seal and causing the whoopee cushion effect. My hood isn’t even, it’s below grade on the driver side and above on the passenger. This didn’t happen until they adjusted my hood to open correctly.

It happens at around 50 mph for me.

Huh. So I just have to make it happen at lower speeds :)

But seriously, that gives me something to look at. Maybe put some tape on the frunk seal to see if it changes anything.

I actually did report it, and the first response from the service advisor was -- sorry, we can't drive the car more than 65. It was rush hour, so there literally wasn't a nearby freeway where I could take the technician along to reproduce it.
You should they told me the same thing and I told him to record my voice saying I will take the responsibility or just have them sit where the issue can be highlighted.

If you don’t like it you should protest louder and escalate it nicely. After listening to all these issues I am feeling pretty good about my car 🤪.

BTW I am paranoid about Fast charge and that prep thingy because somehow it is my perception that this process is the cause of the battery issues.
It charges great for me at the house.

Update: shutters are operational. The technician didn't need to repair anything, however he did show me how to test. Just put the A/C on full blast and within a few seconds the shutters will actuate. Perhaps there was some residual ice/dirt in there from the last time I noticed them making the clicking noise. I'm relieved.
I hate to ask, but how are you turning the A/C to full blast? Setting it to a ridiculously cold setting and cranking up the fan? Or..?

This exact thing happens to my car, above 70mph, but only if it’s very cold out. I actually thought it was a leaf stuck but checked everywhere and couldn’t find it. If you shut off the HVAC and music you really notice it. I forgot to mention it to the techs when I was just in for 12k mile service, but glad I forgot because I didn’t have time for them to take the windshield/dash apart and investigate! Let me know if you find a solution, it’s an annoying sound.

BTW I am paranoid about Fast charge and that prep thingy because somehow it is my perception that this process is the cause of the battery issues.
It charges great for me at the house.
Nah, if it was Lucid would disable it until they could find a fix, think of how much $$$ and service headaches saving the battery by just not preconditioning would yield! I precondition all the time, never had one problem.

I hate to ask, but how are you turning the A/C to full blast? Setting it to a ridiculously cold setting and cranking up the fan? Or..?
Haven’t done it yet to test. But yes, assuming you’d need to set AC to full blast cold.

The shutters are visible as you look at the lower portion of the front of the car. There are four total shutters, arranged in stacked pairs. Rough estimate is each is 2” tall by 20” wide. They are set back a few inches from the outermost surface of the bumper, but you can get your fingers on them (as I did when trying to get them to move). When open you can see the heat exchangers located behind.
Yes, I too have had this issue, since car in for pilot panel issue they will look at it, but reaching in at end with fingers got it unstuck and clicking resolved. Seems like a slight overlap of flaps causing issue, I think.

Wow, ok learned something new and that explains a noise I heard coming from that area last week when it was very cold here.
Sounded like a loud clunk and as described had a reset and clunk again like something was stuck/un-stuck. Never heard it before or since. Now I'll have to check it out. This is not a car for snow ? If there is some kind of moving grill in that area it won't last the winter on the East coast.
I have been experience this for 6 months in Minnesota. It is horrible. Sounds broken every time I get in or out of the car. horrible experience. Several other owners in north are experiencing also. Lucid said it was "foreign object" but apparently the "foreign object" a) happens to dozens of people in northern climates and b). my "foreign object" disappears when in climate controlled environment. Lucid needs to address ASAP

Yeah I just made the appointment and am going in on Wednesday they said they had to order new shutters for the job. They said it’s a quick job though I can have the car back a few hours later.
How did this turn out? were you charged? They punted my concerns from ~1,000 miles on the odometer it hasn't stopped and car has around 9,000 miles now

I just had the same symptoms first the first time yesterday night after driving home in 0C (32F) weather. I parked in the garage to hear a repetitive sound of a motor seeming to try to open/close a latch in the front of the car. Thanks to this thread now I know what it is. I left the car for 15 minutes and checked up on it later to find the sound had stopped.

I have been experience this for 6 months in Minnesota. It is horrible. Sounds broken every time I get in or out of the car. horrible experience. Several other owners in north are experiencing also. Lucid said it was "foreign object" but apparently the "foreign object" a) happens to dozens of people in northern climates and b). my "foreign object" disappears when in climate controlled environment. Lucid needs to address ASAP
Agree completely. Cannot stand the sound of the car fighting with itself. I wonder how this could have been missed during cold climate testing of the development mules, assuming Lucid actually did that! I don't think there's going to be a fix outside of a part redesign, which I doubt would be a retrofit repair. And yes, I have been wondering about how to access these parts to figure out a solution. Anyone know how the lower bumper comes off?

Agree completely. Cannot stand the sound of the car fighting with itself. I wonder how this could have been missed during cold climate testing of the development mules, assuming Lucid actually did that! I don't think there's going to be a fix outside of a part redesign, which I doubt would be a retrofit repair. And yes, I have been wondering about how to access these parts to figure out a solution. Anyone know how the lower bumper comes off?
Somebody shared this yesterday in the Discord. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-fuh-cXOpgTj2FOjdcHGHMbn1Xe14wFF
Processes for removing most parts on the front.

Back