RESOLVED Frunk won’t open since cold weather started

kbambridge

Cars
Lucid Air GT
DE Number
I’ve seen some other frunk threads with latches getting caught, but I’m not sure this is the same problem. I just started having this issue yesterday, but it’s more serious because I can’t close it in a way the car registers the frunk as closed, so my speed is limited to 35 mph making the car not drivable on freeways.

I don’t have another car to drive at the moment… not sure what to do. Im thinking maybe the frunk froze shut on one end so I’m trying to put a heat lamp on the end that isn’t releasing to see if that can fix it, it worked one time last night but as soon as I went out in the cold again the problem came back. I was stuck over 25 min away from home driving 35mph on 55+ freeways, which in NJ are actually 65+. It doesn’t matter what I do manually by pushing on the frunk, the car always says the frunk is open until I do a full open/close cycle, which I was only able to do once since the issue started occurring.

I stopped on my way back and contacted 24/7 support, they tried to trigger stuff remotely but nothing worked. I would like to at least get it drivable before someone can come in and check on the frunk, idk how long that will take with Christmas weekend and all… Any suggestions?

Heat lamp is good, have you also tried manually pressing hard on where the latches are located to possibly seat them down all the way? Either way, have you also tried a reset?

I’ve seen some other frunk threads with latches getting caught, but I’m not sure this is the same problem. I just started having this issue yesterday, but it’s more serious because I can’t close it in a way the car registers the frunk as closed, so my speed is limited to 35 mph making the car not drivable on freeways.

I don’t have another car to drive at the moment… not sure what to do. Im thinking maybe the frunk froze shut on one end so I’m trying to put a heat lamp on the end that isn’t releasing to see if that can fix it, it worked one time last night but as soon as I went out in the cold again the problem came back. I was stuck over 25 min away from home driving 35mph on 55+ freeways, which in NJ are actually 65+. It doesn’t matter what I do manually by pushing on the frunk, the car always says the frunk is open until I do a full open/close cycle, which I was only able to do once since the issue started occurring.

I stopped on my way back and contacted 24/7 support, they tried to trigger stuff remotely but nothing worked. I would like to at least get it drivable before someone can come in and check on the frunk, idk how long that will take with Christmas weekend and all… Any suggestions?
This happened to me. Open the frunk, locate which latch has more wear than the other. You'll figure out which one isn't latching correctly.

Close the trunk from the button inside the frunk, then put your hand directly above the hood where the latch is underneath, then as it closes, add a little bit of pressure with your hand on top and it'll latch.

You're good to go.
(also call service to have your hood aligned properly)

Thank you for the suggestions! It seems like the heat lamp worked again, just took a bit longer (it got colder.. 5 F outside now). I noticed after I got it open there was some water along that passenger side rubber liner for the frunk. Since the latches work consistently normally, I believe there must have been some water under there causing it to freeze shut im not really sure how to avoid this in the future. Maybe if the frunk was better aligned there wouldn’t be water along there in the first place?

Thank you for the suggestions! It seems like the heat lamp worked again, just took a bit longer (it got colder.. 5 F outside now). I noticed after I got it open there was some water along that passenger side rubber liner for the frunk. Since the latches work consistently normally, I believe there must have been some water under there causing it to freeze shut im not really sure how to avoid this in the future. Maybe if the frunk was better aligned there wouldn’t be water along there in the first place?
Yeah if it's stuck shut and won't open, I'd wait until you get somewhere warmer indoors or using a heat lamp as you did. My problem was that it would open and close but never latched properly

Same issue yesterday in Rockville MD with temps around 20F. Frunk was up about 3/8" and failed to open. Couldn't manually push it down. Call to Lucid Customer Service and they tried remotely too. Eventually manually pushing and activating the lock it opened. Clearly there's a cold weather issue with the Frunk. Add it to the list

This happened to me few months back when whether was warm and car wash crews somehow caused it. A scheduled quick drop to Service Center will fix it in a day to realign the latch. Meanwhile, close frunk from button inside the frunk and manually apply pressure to where both latches are shall end the annoying “frunk not closed” warning alert.

I was looking only and I’ve seen reports of using glycerine for the seals once or twice a year will prevent them from sticking. Does anyone have experience with this? For example using a product like this: Zymol Seal, soft seal Conditioner - 8.5 oz Bottle https://a.co/d/aCBVP1Q

I was looking only and I’ve seen reports of using glycerine for the seals once or twice a year will prevent them from sticking. Does anyone have experience with this? For example using a product like this: Zymol Seal, soft seal Conditioner - 8.5 oz Bottle https://a.co/d/aCBVP1Q
Did you try this yet? I recently had my frunk freeze shut at ~28F and I'd like to avoid this in the future.

For the rubber seals and gaskets, I use
Could be snake oil for all I know, though.

this is maddening. The same thing happened to me a month ago, the car was sent to Chicago for repair ( I live in ST Louis). It was returned 3 weeks ago, and last week, the frunk wouldn't open, wouldnt register as closed, and I was stuck 20 minutes from home at night...I too had to drive 35 mph home. And now the car is back on it's way to Chicago.....

this is maddening. The same thing happened to me a month ago, the car was sent to Chicago for repair ( I live in ST Louis). It was returned 3 weeks ago, and last week, the frunk wouldn't open, wouldnt register as closed, and I was stuck 20 minutes from home at night...I too had to drive 35 mph home. And now the car is back on it's way to Chicago.....
This happened to me also. It got fixed and then when returned and weather was cold again it wouldn't open and I got stranded like you did

Anyone want to start a VIN list of affected vehicles? I am hoping this will drive action on Lucid's part if we can show number of cars affected

It happened to me in summer. But it was a quick fix by Service Center in Houston. And it never recur again.

We've had some cold snaps lately, and Saturday afternoon I needed to add windshield wiper fluid and the frunk would not close completely/latch. I tried a couple times and finally had to apply pressure to get it to latch. This morning the same thing happened. I'll try a reset tomorrow (during a shoveling break) and see if it fixes itself before I call Customer Service. P.S. 360-mile road trip in mostly single digits was great today....

As per a Lucid service person, who initially spent a lot of time dealing with this but now no longer, Lucid redesigned the frunk latch to address this issue to good effect.

As per a Lucid service person, who initially spent a lot of time dealing with this but now no longer, Lucid redesigned the frunk latch to address this issue to good effect.
I had contacted Customer Service late last week, and I got a call from the Natick Service Center today that they will be picking up my car probably tomorrow and returning it on Monday. (I'll opt for them to give me an Uber voucher to go pick it up probably.) I said I wouldn't need a loaner just for the weekend, but my other car would not be good for a lot of highway driving I'll have to do late next week. They were able to move the timeline up, so my car would be done to fit my schedule. Excellent response from Service to fix the frunk issue.

I had contacted Customer Service late last week, and I got a call from the Natick Service Center today that they will be picking up my car probably tomorrow and returning it on Monday. (I'll opt for them to give me an Uber voucher to go pick it up probably.) I said I wouldn't need a loaner just for the weekend, but my other car would not be good for a lot of highway driving I'll have to do late next week. They were able to move the timeline up, so my car would be done to fit my schedule. Excellent response from Service to fix the frunk issue.
You’re in good hands, Danny is the man and worked around my crazy schedule also. Natick just updated my frunk to version 8 which supposedly should stay fixed. There are a few service bulletins you’ll likely need taken care of so I’d give them 2-3 days (that’s how long mine took). They also covered my Lyfts. I think they have a few Lucid loaners but still waiting on registration plates? When they dropped my car off they were driving their white test drive Lucid.

You’re in good hands, Danny is the man and worked around my crazy schedule also. Natick just updated my frunk to version 8 which supposedly should stay fixed. There are a few service bulletins you’ll likely need taken care of so I’d give them 2-3 days (that’s how long mine took). They also covered my Lyfts. I think they have a few Lucid loaners but still waiting on registration plates? When they dropped my car off they were driving their white test drive Lucid.
Yes, Danny did come through. My car was ready early this week, but the Nor'easter got in the way (24" of snow on Election Day on Tuesday in NH). Unfortunately, Lyft didn't have any drivers available in my neck of the woods, so Danny arranged for my car to be delivered via flatbed Thursday afternoon. Frunk is working perfectly now and I'm very pleased with Lucid's Service and Customer Service dealing with the few problems I've had so far. Enjoyed some quality highway driving today!

This is not resolved by the way. I had my latches replaced and lo and behold I had the issue happen again while leaving Chicago. Had to go to a charger in turtle mode because my front trunk wouldn’t close and hope that the sun would come out and heat up the latches enough while charging. I got it closed, but when I tried to get my backpack later, one of the latches got stuck while trying to open. I had to push the front trunk closed and bang on the passenger side of the hood for a good 2 minutes to loosen it up enough for it to open so I could get my backpack and start working. Pretty maddening

Back