Repair Costs

Absparky

Cars
Lucid Air Touring, Q5
So, here we go again. A branch falls out of a tree in my driveway, lands on the rear windshield of my Lucid Air and cracks the glass. I'm talking about a branch that at its thickest might be an inch, maybe inch and a half. but it must have had the right angle for a couple of pound branch to break my window. So already I'm nervous after my $20,000 fender repair. I report this to my insurance carrier, who tell me glass is covered and gets me immediately in touch with Safelite. I speak with Safelite and as soon as they hear "Lucid", the tone changes and I'm told they don't replace glass on Lucids and that's the way Lucid insists - that they handle all glass repair/replacement.
Here we go again, all clenched & puckered up.
I'm advised that , yes, all glass is replaced by Lucid, and its expensive as no less than 8 parts that are in the vicinity of my rear windshield , have to be removed to get to the glass AND replaced with brand new components -as
the bullshit way the car is clipped together - no part that gets popped off, can be re-attached!! I guess I should be joyous that it's only $5,000 out of my pocket. The last time I got my right rear quarter panel dinged up - the repair estimate was $20,000 from an authorized Lucid body shop - NO PARTS ARE REUSEABLE. If you search the forum for $20,000 repair you'll get the details.
"Concierge" is not responsible to interface with your insurance. It's a cost that I have to occur then apply for reimbursement. Oh and by the way, the glass is covered by my carrier, but not the blanket removal of parts that are not damaged, So I'll have a very heavy out of pocket expense because my $100,000 car is held together by one- use clips.
I can't wait to sell this. Anyone interested in a 2023 Lucid Air with $3,000 miles on it?

Attachments

• 20240708_074838.webp
    20240708_074838.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 137
It does appear that the bulk of the design effort of the Lucid went into making it the incredible driving car it is and somewhat ignored/forgot about repair costs and difficulties.

So, here we go again. A branch falls out of a tree in my driveway, lands on the rear windshield of my Lucid Air and cracks the glass. I'm talking about a branch that at its thickest might be an inch, maybe inch and a half. but it must have had the right angle for a couple of pound branch to break my window. So already I'm nervous after my $20,000 fender repair. I report this to my insurance carrier, who tell me glass is covered and gets me immediately in touch with Safelite. I speak with Safelite and as soon as they hear "Lucid", the tone changes and I'm told they don't replace glass on Lucids and that's the way Lucid insists - that they handle all glass repair/replacement.
I'm advised that , yes, all glass is replaced by Lucid, and its expensive as no less than 8 parts that are in the vicinity of my rear windshield , have to be removed to get to the glass AND replaced with brand new components -as
the bullshit way the car is clipped together - no part that gets popped off, can be re-attached!! I guess I should be joyous that it's only $5,000 out of my pocket. The last time I got my right rear quarter panel dinged up - the repair estimate was $20,000 from an authorized Lucid body shop - NO PARTS ARE REUSEABLE. If you search the forum for $20,000 repair you'll get the details.
"Concierge" is not responsible to interface with your insurance. It's a cost that I have to occur then apply for reimbursement. Oh and by the way, the glass is covered by my carrier, but not the blanket removal of parts that are not damaged, So I'll have a very heavy out of pocket expense because my $100,000 car is held together by one- use clips.
I can't wait to sell this. Anyone interested in a 2023 Lucid Air with $3,000 miles on it?
Luxury cars are expensive to repair, EV are more expensive. As more repair shops get approved and volume grows, parts will be cheaper. Understand that this is a new company. Just get a good insurance policy. Only thing I care about is how it drives!

Maybe we should not recommend Ferraris for anyone, even if you could afford it?

Damn, that’s a run of bad luck. To be fair, most newer cars come with one time only clips etc. it’s not just Lucid specific. Whether it’s for safety purposes or not it does come across as a money grab whilst that may not be the intention.

It’s annoying this long into the game that Lucid hasn’t partnered with someone like Safelite etc.

Hopefully this is the last of the bad luck and can find some reasons to enjoy the car again.

Well, our newer BMW got into a little front bumper crash which to me required very little to fix. It cost $12,000 because of labor and the one headlight. The headlight was $1,500 and they had to remove a ton of things and then recalibrate all the tech on the front. Everything was replaced with new parts. I think Lucid is just slightly more complicated but with the same issue of all these fancy tech cars.

My 7 series was parked and a truck with a tow hitch back into it. The damage was a 1 inch dent in my bumper but it was on a supersonic sensor. It cost the guys insurance $5,000 to repair a one inch dent on my bumper.

So I think this is an industry issue where EVs are even more exaggerated given lack of parts and lack of qualified people with know how.

Sorry to hear about your experience. As for repair cost, it is given that Lucid - a new company. Part cost will be high and repair will require a lot of time because there are not many parts around. All of use Lucid owners know that we are taking a chance when we purchased our Lucid.

Damn, that’s a run of bad luck. To be fair, most newer cars come with one time only clips etc. it’s not just Lucid specific. Whether it’s for safety purposes or not it does come across as a money grab whilst that may not be the intention.

It’s annoying this long into the game that Lucid hasn’t partnered with someone like Safelite etc.

Hopefully this is the last of the bad luck and can find some reasons to enjoy the car again.
Nooooooo, not safelite, they are the worst in customer service….i had to fight 3 months to get them to install a HUD compatible windshield. They wanted to go with a cheap aftermarket that distorted the HUD

Nooooooo, not safelite, they are the worst in customer service….i had to fight 3 months to get them to install a HUD compatible windshield. They wanted to go with a cheap aftermarket that distorted the HUD
But they have a catchy ad jingle 😂

You should look into a more cost effective car when it comes to repairs. Maybe a Honda?

So all I'm hearing in an expensive car is expensive to repair? It sucks that you're having shitty luck, but high repair costs are the price to pay (pun intended) with owning an expensive car.🤷🏻‍♂️

You should look into a more cost effective car when it comes to repairs. Maybe a Honda?
Honda is foreign. Get a small Ford pickup.

Your insurance covered the glass. What's the issue???
From the way I read it, they will cover the price of the glass but maybe not all of the labor as replacing the back windshield requires a lot of replacement of other parts (according to OP) that are held together by one use clips. So once they remove them then they the whole piece has to be fixed thus a huge out of pocket expense for OP. Thats at least what I gather.

From the way I read it, they will cover the price of the glass but maybe not all of the labor as replacing the back windshield requires a lot of replacement of other parts (according to OP) that are held together by one use clips. So once they remove them then they the whole piece has to be fixed thus a huge out of pocket expense for OP. Thats at least what I gather.
To be clear, at least in California (and many other states), that’s not a thing they are allowed to do. You can choose your own shop, and if that shop is required to be Lucid, so be it. They are allowed to send an adjuster out and argue about what should / shouldn’t be replaced, but they aren’t allowed to randomly decide that parts of the repair are unnecessary without valid reason. “They cannot be reattached once removed” is a completely valid reason to replace rather than repair.

Worst they can do is charge you your comprehensive deductible.

Don’t let your insurance company bully you.

My Audi was hit from behind while stopped. I barely felt it and the damage looked minor enough. $18,000.

Back