Removal of Alexa in 2.4.x software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone actually dislike how the system was before this update lol. Updates for the sake of updates no bueno — listen to the customer save Alexa
I did not like what it could do in the car. I am much happier with what I have now.

I don't give a crap about generative AI. I just want to be able to access the functionality that Alexa provided, and that I don't see Hey Lucid providing.

Maybe if they ever actually support Android Auto ...
1. Hey Lucid will grow as indicated in the official post above
2. AA will be coming this fall

I still can't find acceptable excuse why many car manufacturers continue their attempts building their own part of the entertainment system. Ironically sometimes it comes with admitting "we understand we can't compete for passengers entertainment with well known leads in this area, so here is just convenient holder for your tablet in the second row of Gravity". Only few accepted this "we can't compete ..." more broadly and just adjust AAOS with GAS (and Apple Car Play) to their style and that's it: the user automatically gets access to maps they are familiar with, music apps they have subscription on, working voice assistant etc.
The company will always fail behind in their attempts to implements this all as there are just too many options: I want to have Google Maps and maybe ABRP, someone else wants Apple Maps, Waze, or maybe HERE, some will want Apple Music, many will just want Spotify, I want YouTube Music (as I have it already in the YouTube premium bundle), and more, and more, and more... You could endlessly spend the time of your software engineers adding these apps one by one (and apologizing because you have a small team), or you could just give access to the apps store and let your users choose whatever they want.
Strong demand on Apple Car Play and Android Auto is very clear signal that this is what users want, that what they have in the integrated entertainment system is not enough for them. And Apple Car Play or Android Auto are still mitigation: they have limited control over car functions, and many car manufacturers don't even implement these limited integrations, don't even share SOC with the phone ...
Personally I consider AAOS + GAS as huge plus, Android Auto as maybe acceptable mitigation and will not consider a car without any of this at all. You may say "the car should drive fist of all, everything else is not so important!". I was hearing "the phone should call first of all!" argument about smartphones 10+ years ago. Where we are now? People spend hours with their smartphones and call maybe few minutes per week.

I still can't find acceptable excuse why many car manufacturers continue their attempts building their own part of the entertainment system. Ironically sometimes it comes with admitting "we understand we can't compete for passengers entertainment with well known leads in this area, so here is just convenient holder for your tablet in the second row of Gravity". Only few accepted this "we can't compete ..." more broadly and just adjust AAOS with GAS (and Apple Car Play) to their style and that's it: the user automatically gets access to maps they are familiar with, music apps they have subscription on, working voice assistant etc.

For some things, such as commands to change the temperature or open the charging flap, something native is better. For navigation, a native app that accounts for everything from charging station locations to calculations of how much range will be left, taking into account factors that affect the car, something proprietary is better.

I want Android Auto for what's missing and that includes things like Amazon Music, which may become a native app. I need Google for all the commands that can't be handled by the car, including home integration.

I'd prefer not to need Android Auto, and in some other cars I'm fine without it. But while there are missing pieces, it fills in the gaps. I like it most for cars that aren't mine. If I rent a car, it's nice to be able to use what my phone already has. But for my own car, I don't mind a learning curve in order to have something that is tailored to the car.

I think this thread has run its course...
giphy.gif

Anyone else who is upset by this change should lobby an official compliant via an email to customer care. Venting your frustrations here will do nothing. As it stands, it seems Lucid has no intention, currently, of bringing Alexa back. Look to the future not to the past!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back