Removal of Alexa in 2.4.x software

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp4578

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Air
I can't believe Lucid just removed Alexa without an end of life notice. I just upgraded my software to find out that I am no longer able to use this great feature. My children love my lucid because from the back seat, they can request books from audible.com or their favorite songs from Amazon music.

To be clear:
  • Lucid should put out an end of life notice before they get rid of a great feature. They should also not get rid of a great feature.
  • No, I am not going to give my kids my phone so they can select songs while Im driving. I am also not going to play with my phone and open the alexa app (Illegal to use apps while driving in Massachusetts)
  • No I do not want to use my data streaming now to use Amazon's music and audible books.
  • Apparently this "Hey Lucid" is a replacement? Lucid apparently did not put out any information other than a one paragraph blurb on what it supports. This is ridiculous.

I am tired of being Lucid's tester. While the car drives great, it is not ready for national sales. Its a shame, because it is a beautiful car but has such an amateur team working on the infotainment system. Some of the problems I experienced include:
  • Volume increasing or decreasing randomly
  • Volume control stops working (i've reset the infotainment system many times)
  • Brake failure messages (fortunately false alarms.)
  • Backup camera lags by 3 seconds, really dangerous.
  • Speedometer is WRONG by 3-5 miles.
  • Sirius XM user interface absolutely terrible (I guess this has been improved, but I've cancelled Sirius XM.\

Speedometer is WRONG by 3-5 miles.
This one is deliberate if you are seeing the speedometer showing 2-3 miles faster than you are actually going. Almost all car companies do this to avoid liability for speeding tickets and accidents. And, before you ask, it is only the speedometer that is erroneous; the odometer should be accurate.

Alexa going away is presumably mostly a function of Amazon letting it die. It was not remotely profitable for them, and without Amazon's support it is not viable for anyone to leave in a third party product. Blame Lucid all you want but they represent a vanishingly small customer base for a voice assistant that is obsolete with the advent of generative AI, and is being put out to pasture anyway.

Never noticed any volume control issues or brake failure messages. Have you consulted service?

Agree on the backup camera. Hopeful they will fix in an upcoming update, as they have so many other issues.

Have you tried BMW's latest infotainment? Personally I find it inscrutable compared to Lucid's, but then none of the car manufacturers are all that great in this regard.

The removal of Alexa probably could have come with more notice or left it in the current version but default to "Hey Lucid" with the option of the owner turning Alexa back on. None of us know what goes on behind closed doors but Amazon kind of abandoned Alexa and it never really took off in cars either so who knows but it could have been Amazon that dictated to Lucid that the writing was on the wall. Given Amazon is supposed to be switching Alexa to Gen AI later this year and start charging a subscription fee for it, it doesn't surprise me that this may have been more an Amazon thing than Lucid.

"Hey Lucid" is using Gen AI already and will improve over time so will just require some patience unfortunately. The less car companies rely on 3rd parties the better because you're kind of beholden to the 3rd party and praying they continue to support their tool. Who knows, Lucid may have just become so frustrated with Amazon not putting any effort into Alexa that they figured it was in their best interests to go it alone.

Lucid should put out an end of life notice before they get rid of a great feature. They should also not get rid of a great feature.
I’m sure the laid off Amazon employees would have appreciated that as well. I would point fingers at Amazon for this.

Reactions: IRA
I’m sure the laid off Amazon employees would have appreciated that as well. I would point fingers at Amazon for this.
On the other hand, this has been an open secret for at least a year. I don’t know the commercial considerations behind these things of course but in principle Lucid could have EOLed Alexa long ago.

FYI ... for those that still wish to use Alexa in the vehicle, Alexa Auto appears to work well. I just received the 2.4.4 update and I had an older Gen 1 Alexa Auto laying around that I used in my Tesla Model S. I reset it up with my phone and it worked right away. The only issue found (so far) is if Amazon Music was playing via CP, starting music with Alexa Auto would revert to playing Amazon Music on CP. Force closing the AM app on my iPhone resolved this.

I completely agree with you, "I am tired of being Lucid's tester." I feel that from the start Lucid over-promised and under-delivered on many aspects.
I regret buying this vehicle, and although I have lost over 60% of its original value, I can't wait to trade it in for an S580e.

i think the presumption about Alexa is a presumption. that Amazon is letting it die and Lucid is reacting. time will tell. To some Hey Lucid is a step forward, and to others its a step to the side, and to others its a step back.

I for one am hopeful that lucid continues to evolve it, but it will never be the full duty automation over voice that Alexa was. I just don't see how or why Lucid would invest in getting Hey Lucid to do things Alexa does today. (i mean stuff like "hey lucid, is my alarm system at home on away mode? just an example" and not about controlling in car stuff over voice)

to each his own. i wish i had a choice

If you own and use a smart phone, you are by the default always a "tester" due to new features get added over-the-air. Likewise for most modern EVs, new features get added and pushed via OTA updates. It is what make owning an EV exciting.

to those that will miss Alex, time to get cozy with Carplay / Siri, or whatever google offers in android auto

I completely agree with you, "I am tired of being Lucid's tester." I feel that from the start Lucid over-promised and under-delivered on many aspects.
I regret buying this vehicle, and although I have lost over 60% of its original value, I can't wait to trade it in for an S580e.
I'm sure you will be complaining on the S580e forum shortly thereafter.

to those that will miss Alex, time to get cozy with Carplay / Siri, or whatever google offers in android auto
True. For now, Carplay or AA would do all of the Internet stuff Alexa did in the car, and Hey Lucid would work for controlling the car features. Eventually, the Lucid app will do more. Alexa was convenient for me, but I'm not tied to it. I had never used it before I bought the Lucid, and only put it on my phone so that it would work in the car. Actually, I guess I can uninstall it now. For those who use Alexa for controlling their home, this probably wasn't the best switch over, although it does make sense for Lucid to do. If you have Alexa on your phone, can't you talk to the phone to ask Alexa about lights or security system?

True. For now, Carplay or AA would do all of the Internet stuff Alexa did in the car, and Hey Lucid would work for controlling the car features. Eventually, the Lucid app will do more. Alexa was convenient for me, but I'm not tied to it. I had never used it before I bought the Lucid, and only put it on my phone so that it would work in the car. Actually, I guess I can uninstall it now. For those who use Alexa for controlling their home, this probably wasn't the best switch over, although it does make sense for Lucid to do. If you have Alexa on your phone, can't you talk to the phone to ask Alexa about lights or security system?
Not without unlocking or running Alexa in car mode. On iOS there is no way to get to Alexa from a locked phone via voice

Not without unlocking or running Alexa in car mode. On iOS there is no way to get to Alexa from a locked phone via voice
There's an Audible app for CarPlay. You'd just use Siri instead of Alexa.

Hey, have I missed something? Is Lucid now setup to support Android Auto?

Hey, have I missed something? Is Lucid now setup to support Android Auto?
a long awaited enhancement for those on Android, with rumors that AA support is around the corner.

i used to be on android and i miss it, but i appreciate the deep integration that apple has with its own stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back