• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Registration in Colorado

skywaterbanjo

Verified Owner
Colorado, as of Jan 1, 2022, has a specialized EV license plate. I read through the legislation and I think it says if you have an EV, you will automatically be issued the EV plate unless you choose not to use it. I also think I read that if you don't use it, you have to use a decal. Can you confirm this?

Not sure- My BIL and daughter both got EVs this year (Kona and Ioniq5), and neither of them got fancy license plates. When I went through our purchase, we confirmed with our California-based DA that Lucid would handle all the state registration and licensing matters, and they asked us if we wanted a bracket for the front license plate (which, as I'm sure you know) is required by CO law- a vinyl wrap is a hard NO according to the DMV.

I had not even heard of this bill. Evidently, the plates just started going out on July 1st. Automatic if you buy a new EV. Existing EVs can apply to get a new plate if they want.

Here's the legislation language. Notice the last sentence:
The owner of the electric motor vehicle may elect to use different license plates issued under this article 3 or the rules promulgated under this article 3, not including the license plates issued in accordance with section 42-3-203. If this article 3 or the rules promulgated under this article 3 require different license plates to be issued for a motor vehicle, the department shall issue the different license plates for the motor vehicle. If an electric motor vehicle is not issued electric vehicle license plates, the owner shall use the decal issued in section 42-3-304(25) to identify the electric motor vehicle.

Here's the legislation language. Notice the last sentence:
The owner of the electric motor vehicle may elect to use different license plates issued under this article 3 or the rules promulgated under this article 3, not including the license plates issued in accordance with section 42-3-203. If this article 3 or the rules promulgated under this article 3 require different license plates to be issued for a motor vehicle, the department shall issue the different license plates for the motor vehicle. If an electric motor vehicle is not issued electric vehicle license plates, the owner shall use the decal issued in section 42-3-304(25) to identify the electric motor vehicle.
They throw around the term "mandatory" in regards to this bill, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing mandatory about it. The whole idea is to promote EVs with a license plate that acts like a "billboard" for Electric Vehicles. As if the lack of a tailpipe wasn't a dead giveaway.

The stickers are only needed to park in designated "green" spaces, correct? They are not needed for just driving around the state. So if you want to use your vanity plate, you are free to do so, and don't need to add any ugly stickers to your car.

I've never put any stickers on my Tesla, and I don't intend to anytime soon. No cop has ever given me grief about it, and I have been pulled over recently.

I always thought it was a shame that California EVs - notably Teslas- had that horrible ugly sticker on the rear fender that allowed use of the HOV lanes. Seems like technology could fix that..

I got regular plates but I also received a sticker that must be on the upper portion of the passenger side of the windshield. This was about two weeks ago. Not enamored with the sticker because it's really visible and the green on the stick looks like crap.

I got regular plates but I also received a sticker that must be on the upper portion of the passenger side of the windshield. This was about two weeks ago. Not enamored with the sticker because it's really visible and the green on the stick looks like crap.
So the sticker is required?

According to the docs that came with the plates, yes.
Been driving for the last three years without that sticker. I simply refuse to believe it’s required for anything. I stuck it in my center storage console and promptly forgot about it.

What could possibly be the justification for making EV owners deface their car that way? It’s not visible to anyone who isn’t looking at your windshield. So it wouldn’t even serve the purpose the new plates do of “promoting” EV use.

And even if someone noticed the sticker, no one would probably know what it was for or what it meant. Lunacy.

Been driving for the last three years without that sticker. I simply refuse to believe it’s required for anything. I stuck it in my center storage console and promptly forgot about it.

What could possibly be the justification for making EV owners deface their car that way? It’s not visible to anyone who isn’t looking at your windshield. So it wouldn’t even serve the purpose the new plates do of “promoting” EV use.

And even if someone noticed the sticker, no one would probably know what it was for or what it meant. Lunacy.
I have no intentions of putting mine on. In Durango, there are so few EVs that I'm not even sure enforcement personnel would even recognize it. I'm keep my Mesa Verde NP plates.

Oh hell no. Not gonna put anything on my windshield. And… speaking to several other CO EV owners, nobody (1) put the sticker on or (2) faced any repercussions.

My understanding was that the sticker is required and designates the car as an EV to first responders. It’s usually placed in the upper passenger side of the windshield. Not sure about the license plate. I’ve had several EVs and never had the option. Is that new?

Oh hell no. Not gonna put anything on my windshield. And… speaking to several other CO EV owners, nobody (1) put the sticker on or (2) faced any repercussions.
I have them on. It’s really not obtrusive. I suspect that there is no penalty for using it, but it shifts liability to you in the event a first responder is hurt not realizing there are high voltage cables running through the vehicle.

I have them on. It’s really not obtrusive. I suspect that there is no penalty for using it, but it shifts liability to you in the event a first responder is hurt not realizing there are high voltage cables running through the vehicle.
That does make some sense. And for a new car like the Air, it’s totally possible a first responder might not recognize it as an EV. But you’re going to tell me there are still people in the US that wouldn’t recognize a Tesla when they see one?

That does make some sense. And for a new car like the Air, it’s totally possible a first responder might not recognize it as an EV. But you’re going to tell me there are still people in the US that wouldn’t recognize a Tesla when they see one?
They do, but that doesn’t mean a firefighter using a saw knows not to go through a high-voltage cable. There were accidents early on, and Tesla now places “cut here” stickers and orange markings to delineate high-voltage. I was told the sticker is to quickly let a first responder know that there are high-voltage cables and they know where to look (passenger-side high) in the event of an accident.

I guess I'll wait and see what comes with the plates..

But with all the EVs on the road these days, has anyone ever seen this mythical sticker? I pass at least 6-7 Teslas every day on the way to drop off kids at school- plenty of time to peruse windshields- and I've never seen one.

Back