Received my Tesla Tap

Thehack

Verified Owner
Cars
Volvo XC 90 T8
Unsure how useful it will be, but having some piece of mind is nice. Let's see where that whole "Elon / Tesla" opening up the supercharger network CSS will go.

Tempted to run my volvo down to the mall to see if this beast works on my existing car. I got the 80 amp Mini just for over-sizing. I know most chargers will be half that.

I believe the Tesla Tap is only for Tesla Destinations such as those at Hotels and rental houses. If you try to use the Tesla Tap at one of the High Speed Tesla charging sites the charger will not recognize your Lucid and refuse to charge.

For sure, you are absolutely correct. The mall here in Calgary is not a "Supercharger". Everywhere around here is like a destination charger for Tesla... I just want to try it out to make sure it works OK.

...Tempted to run my volvo down to the mall to see if this beast works on my existing car. I got the 80 amp Mini just for over-sizing. I know most chargers will be half that.
My TeslaTap works fine with my Volvo XC40 EV and my home Tesla charger, which, like a "destination charger", works with the Tap. It can be very difficult to force the Tap onto Tesla's connector. I opened up the inside corners of my Tap's plastic housing with a rattail file, which helped quite a bit.

Just in time for Tesla to announce adding CCS chargers at all superchargers lol.
Ha ha, yes. But that will take years, and it's still handy to be able to charge overnight at a hotel rather than making a separate trip in the evening to a supercharger or CCS charger.

Ha ha, yes. But that will take years, and it's still handy to be able to charge overnight at a hotel rather than making a separate trip in the evening to a supercharger or CCS charger.
This, there’s loads of Tesla Destination Chargers all over the place and they are likely only going to convert their supercharger network to be CCS compatible. Plus as someone else said it works great with a Tesla Wall Charger. I’ve got two Gen3 Wall Chargers doing power share over wifi.

Anyone have a link to buy one they're happy with please?

True. But you'd be surprised how fast Elon can work when there's a lot of money involved.

Oh. I’d also recommend you get the TeslaTap 80, some of the Destination Chargers are high amperage and the Lucid Air can take it. You don’t want to melt the TeslaTap 40 or 60 with high amps flowing either side.

Oh. I’d also recommend you get the TeslaTap 80, some of the Destination Chargers are high amperage and the Lucid Air can take it. You don’t want to melt the TeslaTap 40 or 60 with high amps flowing either side.
I’d agree with getting the 80 amp version, I learned that you cannot reduce the charging amperage in the vehicle or app, so it will take the max that an EVSE can supply.

So a TeslaTap allows a non-Tesla EV to charge at a Tesla wall charger, or even a Tesla supercharger?

Is the TeslaTap certified at all? I have a Tesla wall charger installed in my home garage. About to take delivery of my Air and the Lucid delivery rep is telling me horror stories about adapters melting and ruining my Lucid. I’m nervous to now connect an adapter to my Tesla wall charger … but don’t really want to call an electrician out to install a 240 v plug. Would love to use the Tesla charger to charge my Lucid. Any comments or thoughts from this group?

Is the TeslaTap certified at all? I have a Tesla wall charger installed in my home garage. About to take delivery of my Air and the Lucid delivery rep is telling me horror stories about adapters melting and ruining my Lucid. I’m nervous to now connect an adapter to my Tesla wall charger … but don’t really want to call an electrician out to install a 240 v plug. Would love to use the Tesla charger to charge my Lucid. Any comments or thoughts from this group?
I have been using my Tesla wall charger with the 80 Amp mini tap for many months to charge the Lucid with no issues. It actually feels cooler than the Tesla piece it attaches to.

Back