Rear Deck Creaking Noise

Great thread. I too have this noise on my new Touring. Seems to be more prominent when the car has been sitting in the sun.

I've seen mentions of foam and neoprene. Is there a consensus on the best fix, and if so, a link to a recommended product?

Great thread. I too have this noise on my new Touring. Seems to be more prominent when the car has been sittingexampke: in the sun.

I've seen mentions of foam and neoprene. Is there a consensus on the best fix, and if so, a link to a recommended product?
I used some foam tape I had laying around, actually made by Porsche. I didn’t peel the backing, just pushed it in there. Used a plastic trim tool to gently push it out of sight.

Any neoprene will work, for example: https://a.co/d/bhMIRKR

Just a quick follow up. I had a great service visit today from James McElroy out of Utah.
My rear deck was not fastened properly when assembled, likely causing the creak. He noted that the entire deck appeared loose and when he lifted it, some fasteners were missing. This will be addressed , along with a few other very minor issues , including a recently malfunctioning rear speaker.

Just a quick follow up. I had a great service visit today from James McElroy out of Utah.
My rear deck was not fastened properly when assembled, likely causing the creak. He noted that the entire deck appeared loose and when he lifted it, some fasteners were missing. This will be addressed , along with a few other very minor issues , including a recently malfunctioning rear speaker.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Mine has a lot of give over multiple areas so wonder if it’s the same issue. Hoping to get this addressed soon.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Mine has a lot of give over multiple areas so wonder if it’s the same issue. Hoping to get this addressed soon.

We will see if this fixes the creaking noise. I will have a followup in about 3-4 weeks.
Theoretically, the noise could be secondary to another cause ; if this is the case, I will try Bobby’s felt trick.
Since I had to get my speaker looked at , he noticed the deck was very loose ( especially in the center ) and determined fasteners were missing.

We will see if this fixes the creaking noise. I will have a followup in about 3-4 weeks.
Theoretically, the noise could be secondary to another cause ; if this is the case, I will try Bobby’s felt trick.
Since I had to get my speaker looked at , he noticed the deck was very loose ( especially in the center ) and determined fasteners were missing.
I think the workmanship in the interior in general is such a shortcoming of this vehicle. I’m not saying the material choices are cheap. It’s rather the haphazard assembly and I’ll fitting parts. Press on most of the alcantara-lined surfaces and everything gives. So disappointing. Thankfully the driving experience is phenomenal.

I think the workmanship in the interior in general is such a shortcoming of this vehicle. I’m not saying the material choices are cheap. It’s rather the haphazard assembly and I’ll fitting parts. Press on most of the alcantara-lined surfaces and everything gives. So disappointing. Thankfully the driving experience is phenomenal.
There are certainly a few issues with workmanship that could improve and I think that will with time , as they gain more experience. I feel fortunate to not have many noticeable defects ( at least to my eye) .
I think service is pretty responsive to these issues and I would encourage you to point out anything you find. They need all that data to make continuous process improvement.

Glad you are pleased with everything else, it really is a fun computer on wheels.!!

There are certainly a few issues with workmanship , and ill fitting parts. I think that will improve with time as they gain more experience. I feel fortunate to not have many noticeable defects ( at least to my eye) .
I think service is pretty responsive to these issues and I would encourage you to point out anything you find. They need all that data to make continuous improvement.

Glad you are pleased with everything else, it really is a fun computer on wheels.!!
Out of the kindness of my heart, I would never point out every flaw I find. In my ideal situation, the entire interior of the car merits disassembly and proper assembly, but that’s unrealistic. Having a supremely detail
oriented job also means I hold everything else to the same standard and that’s probably not fair to the car or anyone involved, haha.

Hmmm…I got mine 10/14/22 too and I have similar gapping in portions of the trim around the rear window as well. We must have had the same drunk line worker attaching our trunk lids and rear windows.
+1 on this.
Mid October delivery and same exact issue.
Have let LUCID know.

Two Lucid technicians attempted to fix the creaking from the rear deck two days ago. Their solutions of realigning the rear deck is 80% effective. I still hear the creak, so the problem is not solved but is better.

The next step being offered by Lucid is seeing if replacing the rear deck completely will solve the problem. The local service manager was going to look into whether Lucid has an updated part due to the frequency of this problem.

I’ll update as “solutions” come along.

Two Lucid technicians attempted to fix the creaking from the rear deck two days ago. Their solutions of realigning the rear deck is 80% effective. I still hear the creak, so the problem is not solved but is better.

The next step being offered by Lucid is seeing if replacing the rear deck completely will solve the problem. The local service manager was going to look into whether Lucid has an updated part due to the frequency of this problem.

Replacing the rear deck may not help. The creaking is not from the deck itself in most cases. Instead it is from the leather rubbing against the inner aspect of the rear glass. I placed some foam on both edges down in between the two to act as a separator and the creak is permanently gone. I’ve driven over 1000 miles and not heard a single creak whereas I heard it every time I went anywhere in the past. If it sounds like your problem, just take something and gently press it down between the glass and the rear deck on the outer edges of the window. You can use an old sock to you cut up. If that temporarily solves the problem, let me know and I can send you the link for foam that works really well in my case.

Replacing the rear deck may not help. The creaking is not from the deck itself in most cases. Instead it is from the leather rubbing against the inner aspect of the rear glass. I placed some foam on both edges down in between the two to act as a separator and the creek is permanently gone. I’ve driven over 1000 miles and not heard a single creek where is I heard it every time I went anywhere in the past. If it sounds like your problem, just take something and gently press it down between the glass and the rear deck on the outer edges of the window. You can use an old sock to you cut up. If that temporally solves the problem, let me know and I can send you the link for foam that works really well in my case.
Hi Bobby,

I appreciate your wisdom on this. Just wondering though…if it’s from rubbing against the glass and this is a uniform part of exact dimensions for everyone, then why is it not happening to everyone?

Also, as most things shrink slightly with colder temps, then this should help as there would be less rubbing due to a wider gap. Instead, with colder weather, the creak is worse.

With all that said, I did purchase some foam tape as backup if Lucid fails to unscrew this screwed up design.

Having the same issue. Tech worked on my car Friday, issue is better but not resolved. Curious what your tech comes back with. I’ll report what mine says too.

Hi Bobby,

I appreciate your wisdom on this. Just wondering though…if it’s from rubbing against the glass and this is a uniform part of exact dimensions for everyone, then why is it not happening to everyone?

Also, as most things shrink slightly with colder temps, then this should help as there would be less rubbing due to a wider gap. Instead, with colder weather, the creak is worse.

With all that said, I did purchase some foam tape as backup if Lucid fails to unscrew this screwed up design.
Those are good questions to ponder, but it doesn’t do any good to even know their answers. Each car is just a little bit different. Try the foam and see if it solves the issue.

Back