RangeXchange and EcoFlow EV X-Stream for pseudo V2H

Trey

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Hello everyone,

Has anyone tried using RangeXchange with EcoFlow’s EV X-Stream adapter? Does anyone with more electrical engineering expertise have an expert opinion as to whether or not it would work?

For context, the EV X-Stream is an adapter that plugs into the EcoFlow batteries so that they can be charged via J1772 plugs. For example, in an extended outage, you could go to electrify America or ChargePoint and fill them up. Their Ultra pro can do whole home backup and expand to 90 kWh. You can connect it to your main or sub and use it as a backup.

If you could plug the RangeXchange into your Lucid and then attach the EV X-Stream to your home backup, you are effectively (in a very janky way for lack of a better term) using your Lucid as vehicle to home power.

I emailed Lucid to see if they know if it would work. I also emailed EcoFlow. Just expecting both companies to tell me to ask the other one.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Based on the EcoFlow website, it looks like it would work with the Lucid RangeXChange. I am curious how both companies respond.

Hello everyone,

Has anyone tried using RangeXchange with EcoFlow’s EV X-Stream adapter? Does anyone with more electrical engineering expertise have an expert opinion as to whether or not it would work?

For context, the EV X-Stream is an adapter that plugs into the EcoFlow batteries so that they can be charged via J1772 plugs. For example, in an extended outage, you could go to electrify America or ChargePoint and fill them up. Their Ultra pro can do whole home backup and expand to 90 kWh. You can connect it to your main or sub and use it as a backup.

If you could plug the RangeXchange into your Lucid and then attach the EV X-Stream to your home backup, you are effectively (in a very janky way for lack of a better term) using your Lucid as vehicle to home power.

I emailed Lucid to see if they know if it would work. I also emailed EcoFlow. Just expecting both companies to tell me to ask the other one.

Anyone have any thoughts?
If you own another ev which has 110v outlets like some Hyundai ioniq 5, Genesis gv60, Kia ev6, you can charge the other ev with lucid and use the other ev for emergency power.

If you own another ev which has 110v outlets like some Hyundai ioniq 5, Genesis gv60, Kia ev6, you can charge the other ev with lucid and use the other ev for emergency power.
Yeah for sure but the range xchange will fill cars at about 30 miles of range per hour, so my guess is roughly 8 kWh per hour, which would fill up the Ecoflow pretty quickly, whereas a 110 would take forever.
Goal would be to plug the ecoflow into the car for an hour or two then back into the house to keep the fridge and essentials running.

Yeah for sure but the range xchange will fill cars at about 30 miles of range per hour, so my guess is roughly 8 kWh per hour, which would fill up the Ecoflow pretty quickly, whereas a 110 would take forever.
Goal would be to plug the ecoflow into the car for an hour or two then back into the house to keep the fridge and essentials running.
I am not suggesting that 110v is used to charge a car. RangeXchange can output 240v 40A 9.6kw to charge another ev. If that ev is in the garage like mine, it has 110v outlets to power 1 refrigerator and many lights. In my case 1 is 2kw continuous and the other is 1.6kw. Or I could use ccs port in the other ev to charge it at 9.6kw while drawing 2kw output. Then lucid can be driven to dcfc to keep it going. However all this is a poor substitute to v2h from Lucid.

Yeah agreed. I’m hoping that range Xchange could directly charge the Ecoflow ultra that could be plugged into my home panel and power my entire / a small part of my home.

Interesting proposition, especially if the Ecoflow thing can effectively 'pass through' the capacity from the Lucid's battery. Still a slightly convoluted (and expensive?) way of doing it though.

FWIW I tried RangeXchange with a cheapo J1772 - NEMA adapter from Amazon but it didn't work. (it did work when plugged into my EVSE though)

...Goal would be to plug the ecoflow into the car for an hour or two then back into the house to keep the fridge and essentials running.
Can the Ecoflow provide power while charging so that you wouldn't have to connect and disconnect from the car? I'd guess so.

Interesting proposition, especially if the Ecoflow thing can effectively 'pass through' the capacity from the Lucid's battery. Still a slightly convoluted (and expensive?) way of doing it though.

FWIW I tried RangeXchange with a cheapo J1772 - NEMA adapter from Amazon but it didn't work. (it did work when plugged into my EVSE though)
What is EVSE? I want to try this but the Lucid RangeXchange adapter is sold out... anyone have any suggestions?

I *think* the EcoFlow can do passthrough mode. It is worth confirming.

I did get this from EcoFlow today, surprisingly:
Thank you for contacting us.
Yes,the EV X-Stream can work with Lucid RangeXchange vehicle to vehical J1772 charging.
If you have any further questions,please let us know anytime.

I asked them if there are minimum and maximum voltage, wattage, amps, etc. Will also ask about passthough.

What is EVSE? I want to try this but the Lucid RangeXchange adapter is sold out... anyone have any suggestions?
EVSE = Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment

What most people mistakenly call a “charger.” The charger is actually technically onboard, in the vehicle.

The EVSE is the thing you use to provide power to the charger in the car.

EVSE = Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment

What most people mistakenly call a “charger.” The charger is actually technically onboard, in the vehicle.

The EVSE is the thing you use to provide power to the charger in the car.
Ahh thanks. What are you saying worke while plugged into the EVSE? The cheapo adapter?

This is a brilliant idea, particularly because the Lucid could provide power in the event of an outage through charging the EcoFlow battery via the adapter, minimizing how much battery storage you would otherwise have to or want to buy. Obviously, you would not want to use the Lucid for daily TOU arbitration. Not exactly our promised V2H or V2G, but a good hack.

I have a pair of these EcoFlow Delta Pro power banks that I use for solar storage / backup power, along with the EV adapter. I don't have a RangeXChange adapter unfortunately (and they've been sold out for at least the last month on the lucid site), but as soon as I get my hands on one I'll report back. It should work though, the EcoFlow units are great at accepting incoming and outgoing power simultaneously for solar, so I don't know why it would be different for the J1772 adapter.

Does anyone know why the RangeXChange adapters have been sold out so long, and when they'll be back in stock?

raculot - let's get you an adapter so you can test it out! If any Lucid employees are monitoring this thread, please get raculot a RangeXchange so we can test "workaround v2h"!

I have a pair of these EcoFlow Delta Pro power banks that I use for solar storage / backup power, along with the EV adapter. I don't have a RangeXChange adapter unfortunately (and they've been sold out for at least the last month on the lucid site), but as soon as I get my hands on one I'll report back. It should work though, the EcoFlow units are great at accepting incoming and outgoing power simultaneously for solar, so I don't know why it would be different for the J1772 adapter.

Does anyone know why the RangeXChange adapters have been sold out so long, and when they'll be back in stock?
Where are you located?

Wilmington, Delaware (near Philadelphia)

Just edited my profile on here to have that info, should've put it on when I signed up.

So, a little bit of bad news from EcoFlow support. They said: “During EV charging, AC output will be disabled, and EPS mode is invalid”

Well, at least you could do it in series. Charge the EcoFlow battery from the Lucid via RangeXChange, unplug, and use the EF battery to power the house. Definitely not as useful for power outage backup, but better than nothing.

yeah for sure better than nothing. If you had 2 Ultras for example, you could recharge one while the other powers your lower amperage circuits. Just a bummer that it can't do passthrough.

Back