Range Question

captg44

Verified Owner
Cars
Tori f
DE Number
Help me get better distance. I have taken several trips. 1} St, Louis to Memphis. 2} St. Louis to Chicago 3} St. Louis to Bowling Green KY and I never can get pass 260 without panicking I am talkin less than 7 percent. I have drove 70 mph/65 mph/ and 60mph AND NO difference with 20inch tires that suppose to get 384. What I am doing wrong? Keep in mind fair weather so no climate control on. I love the ride /comfort. and feature.

A few questions... What model, what range and % charge were you at to start, and what was the temperature along the route?

Our experience is similar (2023 Air Touring). We just drove from the SF Bay Area to LA, and I estimate that we're getting no more than about 300, if that. But we can't realistically drive at less than about 75 mph on I-5, and the weather is cool (~55-60 F).

(I'm a little surprised that lower speeds made no difference for you, though).

Do't know which battery (there are several) / how many motors you have, but the basic mpkWh over which one has control are
tire inflation pressure (do it manually) ,
speed,
how smoothly you accelerate. Use Adaptive Cruse.
elevation change (going uphill).

The cold (and heat) and wind are not under our control. Cold can really cut into your mileage. A lot.

It sounds though, as you are doing just fine. I calculate I have about 300 miles of useful range ( using 80% to 20% recommended SOC of a 500 mi EPA estimate ). On a trip I charge-up past ninety percent at home to give me a comfortable margin. No way I can drive 300 miles without stopping, so no worries. I've done the trip from my home charger (philly 'burbs) to the EA charger bank in Seabrook, NH and it's one full charge on the GT with a few electrons left over . It's scary to arrive with below 10%, but the pay-off is seeing the 350 chargers live up to the promise.

I learned a lot about how to drive an EV on long trips from watching the
Looks like you need to "map out" the chargers ahead of you and sip from them where the charging is fast, (never top-off) then leave for the next one. This is what I do now.

Last edited:
A few questions... What model, what range and % charge were you at to start, and what was the temperature along the route?
23 Lucid Touring, 60-75 degrees, starting at 100 percent of charge and the farthest I went was 260

23 Lucid Touring, 60-75 degrees, starting at 100 percent of charge and the farthest I went was 260
Are your tires properly inflated? That seems abnormally low.

Back