My first long distance drive - range data.

Anil Saigal

Cars
'22 L-DER, '00 Jag XKR
DE Number
I recently drove from Chicago to St. Louis and back on my DER w/19" wheels. Starting range 514 miles, door to door distance 314 miles, A/C set at 75 DegF and seat cooler ON at Low for 4 out of 5 hours (a bit of range watching during the last 45 minutes), mostly level road except for bridges etc, driving consistently @ 80 MPH, outside temp 92 Deg F, no seat massage use, driving normally (not hypermiling), reached destination with 67 miles left on range. Calculates to 70% actual mileage factor. Was able to charge the car on a Tesla garage charger @ 10 KW (I recall around 38-40 miles/hr rate) rate using a cable plug adapter.

Return trip same except for a total of 25 mile in two excursions for charging at EA station 2 miles from highway and a trip into town on the way. Driving speed between 75-80 MPH except for 25 MPH during 30 minutes of torrential downpour, and city driving for the excursions. Using A/C @ 75 Deg about 50% of the drive, outside temp 90 Deg. EA CCS 350 KW charger provided 214 miles in 20 minutes and 267 miles in 30 minutes. The indicated KW on the display showed a drop from 258 KW down to 61 KW at the 30 min point. Considering the 514 mile initial range, 267 miles from charging, and 340 mile range leftover when arriving at home, it calculated to 75% actual mileage factor.

The LDE was very comfortable and smooth on the road. It was generally very quiet except for the motor hum. Overall, a very nice long distance vehicle.

so you had better mileage on the return trip?
There was a recent thread that rain can significantly decrease the mileage.
I note you mentioned less AC, though.

I have not done enough testing to be sure, but pre cooling the car for 20 minutes starting from 119 in the cabin used about 1% or 1.18kWh. Obviously running at max the whole time. I do wish that Lucid would give us more information on power usage. My estimate is that in 90-95 temps and AC set to 72 you are using ~1.5 - 2.0 kWh per hour to be comfortable. In the last hour if you think that 5-8 miles is critical. Ok. Turn off the AC. I’ve always kept the cabin comfortable and the radio on. That certainly contributes to my long term average of 2.9m kWh or ~3.5 miles per 1% of charge since Lucid insists on mixing units. The AC seems to be pretty efficient. I’ve no significant experience with running heat.

Back