Range question

exactly^*^
My only anxiety in the Lucid is Charger functioning anxiety
I found it helpful to use the Electrify America App on my recent 3,000 mile road trip. I was able to check the status of chargers (in advance) that I planed to use that day and checked on availability when I started pre-conditioning about 20 minutes out. By My experience, it reported accurately. The one time that the 2- 350 chargers were both being repaired by a technician as we drove up, the 150 charger that was available (the other 150 was attached to a model 3 Tesla) wasn’t a conciliation prize…I discovered that the 150 worked very well and we charged from 25% to 99% in about an hour and 10 minutes….It started at 178 Kw/hr which was comparable to some of the 350’s that we had used. This was all off of I-8, I-17, I-40 and I-25. Your experience may vary……..but in every case, I could have changed my plans and charged at alternate locations along the way, usually a bit earlier rather than pushing beyond, if it had been necessary. I did call in to EA three times and they were able to re-boot two times and one time that they advised me that the desired 350 wasn’t able to charge continuously again I used a 150….it worked well also. You don’t have to have 350’s consistently to have a great experience …

I found it helpful to use the Electrify America App on my recent 3,000 mile road trip. I was able to check the status of chargers (in advance) that I planed to use that day and checked on availability when I started pre-conditioning about 20 minutes out. By My experience, it reported accurately. The one time that the 2- 350 chargers were both being repaired by a technician as we drove up, the 150 charger that was available (the other 150 was attached to a model 3 Tesla) wasn’t a conciliation prize…I discovered that the 150 worked very well and we charged from 25% to 99% in about an hour and 10 minutes….It started at 178 Kw/hr which was comparable to some of the 350’s that we had used. This was all off of I-8, I-17, I-40 and I-25. Your experience may vary……..but in every case, I could have changed my plans and charged at alternate locations along the way, usually a bit earlier rather than pushing beyond, if it had been necessary. I did call in to EA three times and they were able to re-boot two times and one time that they advised me that the desired 350 wasn’t able to charge continuously again I used a 150….it worked well also. You don’t have to have 350’s consistently to have a great experience …

I guess I’ll have to put EA’s customer service number in my phone when I set off on my first Lucid road trip.

Thanks for your report. Things seem to be trending inconsistently but incrementally better on the EA charging network.

exactly^*^
My only anxiety in the Lucid is Charger functioning anxiety
Has anyone taken a big road trip since 2.0.25?
Im thinking it's no coincidence I had 0 problems.

I'm in the beta group after all and have the latest software, maybe Lucid fixed it?

Has anyone taken a big road trip since 2.0.25?
Im thinking it's no coincidence I had 0 problems.

I'm in the beta group after all and have the latest software, maybe Lucid fixed it?
I did a 700 mile round trip. One charger wouldn’t authenticate so I had to pay to get it to work but otherwise plug and charge worked at every EA I tried. I still however cannot use any charger at my local EA and nobody can figure out why.

I did a 700 mile trip as well, but used the same charger location, the best EA charger stop in the US I might add, going and coming back. No issues charging or authenticating. When I went to Chicago I kept getting "power limited by station."

I did a 700 mile trip as well, but used the same charger location, the best EA charger stop in the US I might add, going and coming back. No issues charging or authenticating. When I went to Chicago I kept getting "power limited by station."
I was in Chicago during my road trip, and there's a Target covered parking garage with like 5 Electrify America chargers, those worked for me 100% of the time. Because I spent a whole day in Chicago

Edit**
1101 W Jackson Blvd, Chicago, IL 60607

One more note, currently as we stand the battery preconditioning for my car is kinda broken or needs servicing. So my entire road trip, I didn't precondition. I don't know if that made a difference.
But i never achieved 350 kw anywhere

Last edited:
I was in Chicago during my road trip, and there's a Target covered parking garage with like 5 Electrify America chargers, those worked for me 100% of the time. Because I spent a whole day in Chicago

Edit**
1101 W Jackson Blvd, Chicago, IL 60607

One more note, currently as we stand the battery preconditioning for my car is kinda broken or needs servicing. So my entire road trip, I didn't precondition. I don't know if that made a difference.
But i never achieved 350 kw anywhere

I found while driving on my trip it didn't, because I forgot. It was summer so if anything battery was too hot.

I'm new to the whole EV experience but one of the big selling points with Lucid was battery range. We've had our DE for a month now and only been driving local, charging with the "daily" setting. Yesterday we decided to take a trip out to see our son who is about 110 miles away. We had things charged up to about 78%, with miles reading 368 so figured no problem at all. Unfortunately, when we reached the destination the range was already down to 180 miles, having only completed the first leg. Most all the driving was 4 lanes or interstate driving between 65-80 MPH. We ended up stressing on the way home, but made it back with about 25 miles left on the battery indicator. So we start out with 368 miles of range for a 220 mile trip and barely make it back. Realizing that the range is an estimate and road conditions, speed, etc all factor into the actual range, we were shocked at how far off that calculation was. Are we missing something, or should we be talking to Lucid customer service?
We have a DE and after several road trips involving many elevation changes with both Interstate and back road driving, we think using 60% of estimated miles is a good and safe rule of thumb.

It was above 40 the entire trip. In the 50's for most of it.
I had a similar situation. I did call service and they said that after 2500 miles of driving I should start seeing a big improvement. There is some sort of battery break in period. We will see.

I had a similar situation. I did call service and they said that after 2500 miles of driving I should start seeing a big improvement. There is some sort of battery break in period. We will see.
I have almost 10,000 miles with no change in range.

True, except that an ICE gets more efficient in colder weather.

Cold weather might exact a bit more of a range penalty with the Air than with a newer Tesla. Tesla switched to heat pumps for cabin heating a few years back, but Lucid changed its plans and stayed with resistance heating for the cabin, which can be a big battery drain. Tesla used to recommend -- as Lucid now does -- using the seat heaters in order to keep the ambient cabin temperature set lower during cold weather.
I disagree Re:cold weather effect on range of ICE cars. Cold air does increase power and this happens because the denser cold air allows the ECU to add more fuel. The flip side is "more fuel", I find I get better mpg in warm weather AC & all. Lucid suggestion good news for me as my preferred cold weather setup is butt warmers at max and heater on LOW.

I disagree Re:cold weather effect on range of ICE cars. Cold air does increase power and this happens because the denser cold air allows the ECU to add more fuel. The flip side is "more fuel", I find I get better mpg in warm weather AC & all. Lucid suggestion good news for me as my preferred cold weather setup is butt warmers at max and heater on LOW.

You might want to read this engineering study of the effect of ambient air intake temperature on the efficiency of an internal combustion engine::

Two of the relevant observations were that "the brake [horse]power decreased with increasing inlet air temperature", and "the specific fuel consumption increases with increasing inlet air temperature".

Thus . . . power increases and fuel consumption decreases as intake air temperature drops. This is a pretty good restatement of what I wrote when I posted that "an ICE gets more efficient in colder weather".

But for a variety of reason, some of which you mentioned previously, the net effect to the driver is generally less mpg in cold weather. I’ve never owned an ICE vehicle where I observed a higher mpg in colder weather.

But for a variety of reason, some of which you mentioned previously, the net effect to the driver is generally less mpg in cold weather. I’ve never owned an ICE vehicle where I observed a higher mpg in colder weather.

My post said that an internal combustion engine (ICE) gets more efficient as temperature drops. That doesn't mean that an ICE-powered vehicles gets more range in the winter, as many other factors come into play (viscosity of fluids, tire flexion, warm-up periods, etc.)

That post was in response to someone's noting that many factors that affect range in an EV also affect mileage in an ICE vehicle. I responded by saying "true, except that an ICE [not an ICE vehicle] gets more efficient in colder weather.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean that an ICE-powered vehicles gets more range in the winter, as many other factors come into play (viscosity of fluids, tire flexion, warm-up periods, etc.)
Doesn't the "winter blend" gasoline that is used in many places across the country also play a role? No idea what that blend does to your overall mileage.

Doesn't the "winter blend" gasoline that is used in many places across the country also play a role? No idea what that blend does to your overall mileage.

My understanding is that the primary role of winter blend is to increase the vapor pressure of gasoline so that it will ignite more easily for cold starting.

It's cheaper to produce that standard blends, so I would imagine it would be used year-round if it made any meaningful contribution to mileage -- unless its greater volatility becomes problematic in warmer weather. Not really sure.

Has anyone entered their Lucid in an Open Road Challenge event? I'm planning to enter my 2022 Lucid Air GT (with 19" wheels) in the Silver State Classic in September in Nevada. Range is the key question. From a full charge, I will need to travel 50 miles at about 65 mph, then 90 miles at 105 mph AVERAGE speed, then another 30 miles to a charging station. Right now the wags on the race Message Board are betting I won't make it to the finish line. What do you think? Thanks!

The GT has 112kw battery and should be no problem. You didn’t mention speed for last 30 miles. But, let’s say 80 miles at 3 miles a kWh then at 105 90 miles should be 2 miles or better per kWh. That’s less than 75 kWh. Plenty to spare.

The GT has 112kw battery and should be no problem. You didn’t mention speed for last 30 miles. But, let’s say 80 miles at 3 miles a kWh then at 105 90 miles should be 2 miles or better per kWh. That’s less than 75 kWh. Plenty to spare.
Based on my 7 months of driving GT with 21" wheels, I believe what you said is correct.
19" wheel should get at least 5% better range

Bill55 and Leo, thanks! You've given me more confidence. I'll let you know what happens in a few months. Oh, and the last 30 miles are at 60 mph average, so it should work out.

Back