Range on the Touring with 20” Aero wheels

I've never paid attention to the range any ICE car I've driven has predicted...I wonder if this figure fluctuates as much as it does for EVs.
ICE predictions are typically inflated and inaccurate as well as they are usually optimistic guesses based on whatever the OEM sees fit. EVs are a bit more sensitive to environmental conditions and generally have lower range capabilities. Because of that second part, new EV owners are paying attention to this estimate more than ever. Different OEMs have different levels of accuracy, but Lucid does not base their numbers off of your current mi/kWh. If you religiously use this number (or just use it as a baseline number), you’ll find yourself stranded 100 miles away from the nearest charger 😢. You will not be having a good time at that point..

If I understand correctly, the car said 80% battery would get you 344 miles of driving. Then you drove for 205 miles, and car reported 25 miles left. So you got 64% of the expected 319 miles. Curiously what did the car report for efficiency in mi/kwh?
My overall range is +- 65% of vehicle estates 50 degree temp , normal driving mix

ICE predictions are typically inflated and inaccurate as well as they are usually optimistic guesses based on whatever the OEM sees fit. EVs are a bit more sensitive to environmental conditions and generally have lower range capabilities. Because of that second part, new EV owners are paying attention to this estimate more than ever. Different OEMs have different levels of accuracy, but Lucid does not base their numbers off of your current mi/kWh. If you religiously use this number (or just use it as a baseline number), you’ll find yourself stranded 100 miles away from the nearest charger 😢. You will not be having a good time at that point..
Just think of your Lucid’s miles remaining as kilometers and the prediction is accurate

I guess phantom drain is a real problem is causing actual driving mileage to be just about 65% for me, and a couple of others on this thread. Being in Seattle area, operating temp is around 40 - 50 deg.

View attachment 7578

I noticed this.
Looks like on 20 inch wheels, the Pure andTouring have the same range. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=46307&id=46308&id=46309&id=46310
Interesting chart. I find it surprising that the difference between MPGe of 140 and 121 turns into only a $500 difference in energy cost over five years ($100 a year for bigger tires). If economy is the goal, one might as well go for the bigger tires; but if range is the goal, the 19s rule.

Anyone have a Touring with 21 inch wheels? Curious about the real world range with that setup?

Anyone have a Touring with 21 inch wheels? Curious about the real world range with that setup?
I have a Touring with 21" wheels. I picked it up on 12/31/22 and now have ~6K on the clock. I get about 230 - 250 miles/charge. When I charge to 100%, it says 386 miles of range. Honestly, I would be happy with 300 miles of real world driving range but my experience to date says that will never happen. That and my charging experience are the only letdowns of my Lucid experience to date. Outside of that, I love this car. Really a cool car.

I have a Touring with 21" wheels. I picked it up on 12/31/22 and now have ~6K on the clock. I get about 230 - 250 miles/charge. When I charge to 100%, it says 386 miles of range. Honestly, I would be happy with 300 miles of real world driving range but my experience to date says that will never happen. That and my charging experience are the only letdowns of my Lucid experience to date. Outside of that, I love this car. Really a cool car.
If you drive at moderate speeds and feather the throttle, you can get that range. That what I do when I need to stretch it. I’m charging right now at an EA 150; been very solid the past few months.
image.jpg

If you drive at moderate speeds and feather the throttle, you can get that range. That what I do when I need to stretch it. I’m charging right now at an EA 150; been very solid the past few months. View attachment 13028
Bobby,

Will you speak a little more clearly?? What specific range are you getting? What do you mean by "feathering the throttle"?? I'd love to see 300 miles of range and am willing to try just about anything to get there.

Thanks....

Bobby,

Will you speak a little more clearly?? What specific range are you getting? What do you mean by "feathering the throttle"?? I'd love to see 300 miles of range and am willing to try just about anything to get there.

Thanks....
I'm not quite sure how to be more clear about it. Be very gentle with the throttle. Accelerate gently. Try to keep the power meter no further to the right than the "r" in the word "Power." Watch your speed. This car is amazingly efficient at 50 or 55 mph but that may be too slow for certain freeways. If you are hell-bent on getting the most possible range, try that. Remember, your Touring has a 92kWh battery. To get 300 miles total range you will need an average efficiency of 3.26. This is easily achieved in this car. In my YouTube video, I averaged 3.4. AC on, elevation changes, radio on. Just kept my speeds at or below 70.

For what it’s worth, I’m averaging 3.3 miles/kw over 1,500 miles. I did a 200 mile drive yesterday, mostly on highways with traffic and at speeds ranging from 75 mph to 83 mph (whenever possible). I came home at 3.3 miles/kw for that trip, as well. Temps were in the 70’s and lower 80’s and I did not exercise any restraint on AC, radio, phone use, etc. And, yes, my car has the 20” wheels. Hope that this helps.

Anybody know the actual range of the touring model with 20” wheels. The 19” wheels comes with a range of 425 miles. I noticed on other models the range drop about 40 + miles from the 19” to 21”….I would assume the 20” would be less since a smaller and lighter wheel when compared to the 21”.
469 miles for the 20" wheels

Not on a Touring. It’s definitely below 425. Likely in the high 300s.
It’s rated somewhere around 385 by the EPA. But, as I’ve previously noted, I’m getting closer to 300 in real life driving at highway speeds between 75 and 85 mph, with AC, radio, etc and some traffic. Overall usage is running 3.3 miles/kwh.

We all speak of range on XX" wheels, but it's mostly the range on the tires that come with those wheels. Tread pattern and rubber compound cause the majority of the difference.

It’s rated somewhere around 385 by the EPA. But, as I’ve previously noted, I’m getting closer to 300 in real life driving at highway speeds between 75 and 85 mph, with AC, radio, etc and some traffic. Overall usage is running 3.3 miles/kwh.
75 to 85 is what’s killing you. I can easily get 4.1-4.3 when I keep it under 70. I can’t always do that, of course. But I don’t need more than 300 miles most of the time.

Range is always an interesting topic since everyone's driving style is different and the routes/conditions in which we drive also vary. However, I have detailed my experience thus far below, but this is just one data point so take it with a grain of salt.

My Touring has 20" Aero lite wheels with the aero inserts left installed. After 2,500 miles of driving including an LA-SF and back trip, the lifetime efficiency number is 3.1mi/kwh. Given the 92kwh total battery pack capacity, the math says the real world range at that efficiency is 285miles. Charging only to 80% for daily driving the effective real world range becomes 228miles. When route planning I use 200miles as a comfortable number.

I think the 20" wheels do contribute to an efficiency penalty, but I also have a large grade in my daily commute which drags down the efficiency number as well. I remember seeing a post that said elevation gain has the largest impact on range and I have found that to be true. The grade I drive is ~4miles long, but the car consumes about 13miles of stated range to climb it.

Perhaps a better way to estimate the "idealized" range penalty for the 20" wheels is this: The new published range for the Touring is 425mi with 19" wheels in EPA testing. To hit that number the efficiency value needed is 4.6mi/kwh and even on flat highway driving at 55mph on a 75F day, I haven't been able to achieve that. The best I have seen is 4.0. That would equate to 368mi of range which means the range penalty for the 20" wheels compared to the 19" wheels is ~57 "ideal" miles.
NO1989 is spot on about real world range. I picked up my Touring 20” Aero wheels on Dec 15,2022 and had a road trip to Scottsdale for SuperBowl. I fully charged 100% at Walmart in Indio,CA and the Lucid Touring gave a range of 389 miles. I made it to Scottsdale downtown (Google map distance of 257mi) with 19 mi left in range. For this trip, I averaged about 85mph (occasional 105mph :) with family of four, three carry-on luggages, small drink cooler, heat/AC like normal (no skimming), and kids charging iPads. So from these numbers, I believe that if you drive 70mph, light load, conservative on heat/AC, you can get 300 mi real range and LA-Vegas without charging.

About charging to 80% for daily driving around Orange County, CA, I average around 225 mi.

NO1989 is spot on about real world range. I picked up my Touring 20” Aero wheels on Dec 15,2022 and had a road trip to Scottsdale for SuperBowl. I fully charged 100% at Walmart in Indio,CA and the Lucid Touring gave a range of 389 miles. I made it to Scottsdale downtown (Google map distance of 257mi) with 19 mi left in range. For this trip, I averaged about 85mph (occasional 105mph :) with family of four, three carry-on luggages, small drink cooler, heat/AC like normal (no skimming), and kids charging iPads. So from these numbers, I believe that if you drive 70mph, light load, conservative on heat/AC, you can get 300 mi real range and LA-Vegas without charging.

About charging to 80% for daily driving around Orange County, CA, I average around 225 mi.
Remember, the range in miles given by your car (unfortunate) has nothing to do with anticipated range. It is based solely on the EPA. Visit www.lucidupdates.com for more information on calculating your actual range.

I truly believe that EPA range is achievable if you limit your speeds. I don’t think it has much to do with accessory usage. I am really hoping for the day that Lucid will calculate actual anticipated range in miles based on driving habits and history.

Remember, the range in miles given by your car (unfortunate) has nothing to do with anticipated range. It is based solely on the EPA. Visit www.lucidupdates.com for more information on calculating your actual range.

I truly believe that EPA range is achievable if you limit your speeds. I don’t think it has much to do with accessory usage. I am really hoping for the day that Lucid will calculate actual anticipated range in miles based on driving habits and history.
Yup limiting speed is key for longer range, I am sure. But it’s not fun driving like a Prius :) .

Back