Radio reception

I noticed that when a song comes on a FM radio, it shows the song name but it does not show any song albums art logo. Instead it only shows the radio channel logo.

In my BMW, the song’s album art shows up along with the song name/album info.

Is everyone’s car doing the same or is my car lame.
Mine has a Roledex I can flip through to see song names and artwork.
(You simply need to reset your expectations.) 😀

My FM/AM also does not show the artwork. When I switched over and started using the iHeartRadio app, I noticed it displaying the music artwork almost 100% of the time. I will add that my reception is always clear on iHeartRadio app as well. The downside is that the app doesn’t get all of the local stations and it often has trouble connecting for the first 5 minutes or so that I’m in the car. Not sure anyone has any suggestions for that or not.

My FM/AM also does not show the artwork. When I switched over and started using the iHeartRadio app, I noticed it displaying the music artwork almost 100% of the time. I will add that my reception is always clear on iHeartRadio app as well. The downside is that the app doesn’t get all of the local stations and it often has trouble connecting for the first 5 minutes or so that I’m in the car. Not sure anyone has any suggestions for that or not.
Do you have Wi-Fi on? The handoff between Wi-Fi and cellular can be pretty slow. If you have cellular reception in your garage at all, turning off Wi-Fi can solve this issue. I still think the general reception for streaming services in the car is lacking. Once I started using CarPlay, it alleviated all that. CarPlay has a very good iHeartRadio app as well as SiriusXM.

Do you have Wi-Fi on? The handoff between Wi-Fi and cellular can be pretty slow. If you have cellular reception in your garage at all, turning off Wi-Fi can solve this issue. I still think the general reception for streaming services in the car is lacking. Once I started using CarPlay, it alleviated all that. CarPlay has a very good iHeartRadio app as well as SiriusXM.
Agreed, I now use those apps on CP vs native vehicle versions. In the now becoming less frequent times where CP doesn’t load, I’ll revert to native apps.

On the FM discussion, I can’t be 100% sure if Lucid gets the artwork from the HD radio stream only or tries to display what it looks up from the song metadata. FM is so bad, I barely use it. I believe Tesla displays what it thinks the correct album art is from metadata.

Just picked up my Lucid a few weeks ago and am having an awful time with the radio. FM reception drops out unexpectedly, Sirius channels also drop off. This is the worst radio reception I have ever had in a car. Why isn't Lucid doing something about this?

Just picked up my Lucid a few weeks ago and am having an awful time with the radio. FM reception drops out unexpectedly, Sirius channels also drop off. This is the worst radio reception I have ever had in a car. Why isn't Lucid doing something about this?
Download an app that lets you stream your favorite stations.

Believe it or not, the most recent upgrade to version 2.0 resulted in a significant improvement in radio reception for me personally. I live in the western suburbs of Chicago (30min outside of Chicago so not some rural area by any measure). I do still get “fuzzy” areas, but less than before. I had taken the steps of bringing the car to Goose Island to get it looked at and they said everything was functioning normally and I would just have to wait for software updates. As I mentioned, there has been an improvement, but there is definitely still room to go.

I had followed Bobby’s advice of switching to iHeart radio or various apps and the reception was crystal clear. However, there is no single app that will have all of the local radio stations you are looking for so you will end up having to switch between apps. Until Lucid implements the ability to use the arrow keys on the steering wheel to switch between favorites across apps or platforms (iHeart, AM/FM, Tidal, etc), this will remain a nuisance for me.

I have had the same issues. Lucid will fix it someday, I hope. The latest update did help SiriusXM to recover better but not all the time.

The problem with apps are they lose connection too, especially if you travel a lot and get spotty cell coverage. Lucid really needs SiriusXM with an antenna and needs to fix whatever is causing the FM/AM issues. I get apps if you never travel or mostly in the city with great reception.

Two cans and a long string.

I've worked in radio for 53 years and reviewed car stereo units for major newspapers for 15 years. There's only so much Lucid can solve with software. A good antenna is mandatory for good reception. That applies to terrestrial radio and satellite radio. For clean looks (with minimal wind resistance) and simplicity, Lucid compromised on both. I'm very disappointed in the terrestrial radio reception in my Air Touring, which is inferior to a 1970 car radio. Most cars on the road have a shark's fin antenna for satellite radio, which makes a significant difference. Cellular antennas are a different kettle of fish that I won't go into, since there are so many variables.

Those of you who enjoy listening to terrestrial FM will discover the Lucid does better with the straight analog signal than the HD1 signal.

I've worked in radio for 53 years and reviewed car stereo units for major newspapers for 15 years. There's only so much Lucid can solve with software. A good antenna is mandatory for good reception. That applies to terrestrial radio and satellite radio. For clean looks (with minimal wind resistance) and simplicity, Lucid compromised on both. I'm very disappointed in the terrestrial radio reception in my Air Touring, which is inferior to a 1970 car radio. Most cars on the road have a shark's fin antenna for satellite radio, which makes a significant difference. Cellular antennas are a different kettle of fish that I won't go into, since there are so many variables.

Those of you who enjoy listening to terrestrial FM will discover the Lucid does better with the straight analog signal than the HD1 signal.
The Mercedes EQS has no protruding antennas and still has great radio and satellite reception so it can be done.

. I'm very disappointed in the terrestrial radio reception in my Air Touring, which is inferior to a 1970 car radio.
Disappointed is polite. I thought I was doing something wrong. NPR fades in Denver after a few miles. And sounds like a crystal Galena set. Will go to streaming as @Bobby suggested

I also think the radio implementation is dreadful. I was reading the December issue of Car and Driver. It contained this quote in an article where Ezra Dyer was reviewing low priced cars that deliver decent quality -

But the Trax doesn't make obvious cheapo concessions - and believe me, I looked. The satellite radio uses an actual satellite antenna rather than a cellular based app (hello Lucid) .

I just don't think they put much effort into this area because the engineers don't use broadcast stations. But if they wish to compete in the luxury space all aspects of the car should be above average. My last three cars all got decent (not great but much better than the Lucid) reception using FM antennas embedded in the rear glass.

I also think the radio implementation is dreadful. I was reading the December issue of Car and Driver. It contained this quote in an article where Ezra Dyer was reviewing low priced cars that deliver decent quality -

But the Trax doesn't make obvious cheapo concessions - and believe me, I looked. The satellite radio uses an actual satellite antenna rather than a cellular based app (hello Lucid) .

I just don't think they put much effort into this area because the engineers don't use broadcast stations. But if they wish to compete in the luxury space all aspects of the car should be above average. My last three cars all got decent (not great but much better than the Lucid) reception using FM antennas embedded in the rear glass.
I guess I'm the oddball here, but I find the fidelity of internet based XM to be superior to the common antenna-based XM system. Yes, you are dependent upon cellular reception, but you're also more immune to loss of signal from overpasses, dense trees, etc.

I guess I'm the oddball here, but I find the fidelity of internet based XM to be superior to the common antenna-based XM system. Yes, you are dependent upon cellular reception, but you're also more immune to loss of signal from overpasses, dense trees, etc.
Yes, internet based SXM does have a higher bit rate and does sound better vs satellite reception due to compression, but do agree you do lose audio if you are out of cell reception and during wifi to cellular handoff (for me)

Yes, internet based SXM does have a higher bit rate and does sound better vs satellite reception due to compression, but do agree you do lose audio if you are out of cell reception and during wifi to cellular handoff (for me)
Tim, I turned off wifi, so I don’t have the handoff issue.

The only reason I’ve ever used SXM is for driving in areas with no cell service. I don’t see the point otherwise, the content they have is not impressive (most music channels are so repetitive), nor is the quality. Just my 2c. I almost wish the Gravity would have satellite SXM built in, but on the other hand it’s a fine excuse for me to cut out that subscription fee and I can get by with downloading music to my phone.

XM through cell service is much better where I live than the satellite-based system, so I actually am happy with what Lucid provides. And, as you said, the sound quality is better. On the rare occasion when I don't have cell service, I just play music downloaded on the phone or a USB stick.

Back