Question Regarding Vehicles without Dream Drive Pro

GMan

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
60T8OVVK
Does the manufactured car actually have all of the cameras / LIDAR hardware built in but simply not enabled for use?

Or does Lucid actually have a modified assembly process whereby some cars have the physical equipment and others do not?

Apologies if this has already been asked, I scanned the discussion threads but didn't see this question.

Thanks

Does the manufactured car actually have all of the cameras / LIDAR hardware built in but simply not enabled for use?

Or does Lucid actually have a modified assembly process whereby some cars have the physical equipment and others do not?

Apologies if this has already been asked, I scanned the discussion threads but didn't see this question.

Thanks
Different assembly. DDP has LiDAR and more cameras that is not installed if the car doesn’t have DDP

Thanks
It's a good question at the moment, actually. Because there seems to have been a change of plans by Lucid on this matter.

Originally, cars without DDPro and SSPro were going to have different hardware. The front bumper assembly was quite different, as it didn't include the LiDAR module. Those cars also were planned to have fewer cameras. (Thus, the lack of 360 surround view.)

However, about a month ago, Lucid started showing GTs in their current inventory which clearly have the full hardware package, but they are being offered at a cheaper price, with a "free three-month trial" of DDPro and SSPro. That means those cars, at least, have all the same hardware as other GTs. They just have those features disabled via software.

Also, some Touring customers who did not order DDPro are getting VINs and expected delivery dates sooner than expected. This suggests perhaps Lucid will be doing the same thing for at least some Touring cars.

We have no more information than that from Lucid as to their plans for the future. This could be a temporary change to accommodate the batching process. (Lucid batches a certain number of cars in a configuration at at time. Which could leave them with extra cars that have not yet been reserved.) Or it could be "the way" from here on out on all Airs. We'll have to wait and see.

Hoping Lucid makes some sort of official announcement about this soon. As the confusion is not great.

If I had to guess, Lucid will make this a permanent change and ship all GTs and Tourings, at least, with the extra hardware. It all depends on whether they can make up the loss of the extra hardware by convincing enough customers to convert after that free trial.

It's a good question at the moment, actually. Because there seems to have been a change of plans by Lucid on this matter.

Originally, cars without DDPro and SSPro were going to have different hardware. The front bumper assembly was quite different, as it didn't include the LiDAR module. Those cars also were planned to have fewer cameras. (Thus, the lack of 360 surround view.)

However, about a month ago, Lucid started showing GTs in their current inventory which clearly have the full hardware package, but they are being offered at a cheaper price, with a "free three-month trial" of DDPro and SSPro. That means those cars, at least, have all the same hardware as other GTs. They just have those features disabled via software.

Also, some Touring customers who did not order DDPro are getting VINs and expected delivery dates sooner than expected. This suggests perhaps Lucid will be doing the same thing for at least some Touring cars.

We have no more information than that from Lucid as to their plans for the future. This could be a temporary change to accommodate the batching process. (Lucid batches a certain number of cars in a configuration at at time. Which could leave them with extra cars that have not yet been reserved.) Or it could be "the way" from here on out on all Airs. We'll have to wait and see.

Hoping Lucid makes some sort of official announcement about this soon. As the confusion is not great.

If I had to guess, Lucid will make this a permanent change and ship all GTs and Tourings, at least, with the extra hardware. It all depends on whether they can make up the loss of the extra hardware by convincing enough customers to convert after that free trial.
A number of the classic car companies, like the Germans, have been talking about doing this as well...basically shipping to a customer a loaded car that he has only partly paid for and leaving it for future payments or subscriptions (or a subsequent buyer) to activate the other features.

I ordered the Touring without the DD Pro or audio system upgrades. Was later told out of the blue that my order comes with the DD Pro and upgraded audio system and that I can use it as trial period for 3 months, and if I like it, I can pay for it. I asked what happens if I decline after 3 months. Do they physically remove the additional audio speakers and lidar/DD Pro? They said no. It will be disabled wirelessly. Wife thought they were trying to pawn off another customer's cancelled order. Seemed a little sketch at first, but seems like it's Lucid's strategy to get you to buy these built in upgrades in the future. The good news was that my car was originally slated for 1st Quarter 2023 since not "fully loaded", but now that it's by default fully loaded, I now get my car end of December.

Does anyone have an update on this one?

Not sure if Tourings without DDP are being manufactured as of yet but if so, any update on the question at hand?

I already bought my Touring (cameras & LIDAR included) but am still curious.

Thanks

Does anyone have an update on this one?

Not sure if Tourings without DDP are being manufactured as of yet but if so, any update on the question at hand?

I already bought my Touring (cameras & LIDAR included) but am still curious.
I was told at the Lucid studio I’m Plano that cars manufactured either during or after march will not have dreamdrive pro hardware and surreal sound pro installed unless ordered that way. This may be a grace period for those that are ordering or recently ordered the touring.

I will decide whether either is worth it after the 90 day trial even though it may cost me more since I had legacy pricing that I am forfeiting if I upgrade later. Really hoping the base sound system is good enough.

I was told at the Lucid studio I’m Plano that cars manufactured either during or after march will not have dreamdrive pro hardware and surreal sound pro installed unless ordered that way. This may be a grace period for those that are ordering or recently ordered the touring.

I will decide whether either is worth it after the 90 day trial even though it may cost me more since I had legacy pricing that I am forfeiting if I upgrade later. Really hoping the base sound system is good enough.
Wow - hope that is not true. I planned on ordering a Touring and then trying DDP and upgraded sound for 90 days, before deciding if I would pay for them. Lucid should be more clear about this and not keep it speculative.

I have my VIN# and I’m waiting for delivery of my Touring. I ordered it without DD Pro or SS Pro, but on my Purchase Agreement/Configuration Summary, the following clause appears:
”If your vehicle configuration does not include DreamDrive Pro or Surreal Sound Pro Audio with Dolby Atmos Technology, a
complimentary 90-day trial of those features is provided. Trial begins on date of customer delivery and ends after 90 days.”
So it looks like I’m getting all the hardware and a 3-month trial period!

For what it’s worth….I took delivery of my AT on Dec 31, 2022. I didn’t want/ask for/order DDP or SSP, and I have them both for 90 days. I am really grateful for the opportunity to try them both before declining. Having the hardware enables me to change my mind or, if Lucid ever goes this route, to enable DDP for a road trip.

For what it’s worth….I took delivery of my AT on Dec 31, 2022. I didn’t want/ask for/order DDP or SSP, and I have them both for 90 days. I am really grateful for the opportunity to try them both before declining. Having the hardware enables me to change my mind or, if Lucid ever goes this route, to enable DDP for a road trip.
Same here - Took delivery the same day with the same equipment and DDP trial (I wanted SSP). Also very fortunate to have the option to enable DDP later.

Back