Possible downgrade from GT to Touring

des16

I have been invited to confirm my GT order. If the car is delayed past May, which is likely, I may want to downgrade to the Touring. Is this possible? When is the latest possible time in the ordering/production timeline that I can change to configuration, knowing that if may delay the build of the car even more? And in terms of changes, is it possible to change the model (GT to T), not just the options and specs on the car.

I have been invited to confirm my GT order. If the car is delayed past May, which is likely, I may want to downgrade to the Touring. Is this possible? When is the latest possible time in the ordering/production timeline that I can change to configuration, knowing that if may delay the build of the car even more? And in terms of changes, is it possible to change the model (GT to T), not just the options and specs on the car.
They carryover your reservation date when you upgrade. I doubt they will do that if you downgrade. I imagine you have to cancel your GT before it becomes non-refundable and then order a new Touring and be at the back of the line. I would reach out to your DA to be sure though.

If you downgrade before confirming, you'll keep your original reservation date. If you confirm the GT, then later decide to downgrade, you forfeit your $1k deposit (this becomes nonrefundable once you confirm, as it locks in your production specs) and likely lose your original reservation date, though don't quote me on the latter point.

And someone just posted that they were a DE reservation and downgraded to a GT and Lucid kept their spot so it seems nice that they do not "punish" you for downgrading.

You don't get put into the back of the line on the new trim but your car still gets pushed back based off the trim they are producing.

Also, I was told way back when, even if I committed the non refundable, it could get applied to the GT price and I wouldn't lose it if I downgraded.

I'm curious why you want to downgrade. Is there something that stands out to you?

I briefly considered the same earlier this. I was wondering if I really wanted 800bhp and another 100mi of range for a $21.5k difference when fully kitted out. Once I drove the GT all doubt evaporated, but I can understand the difference causing hesitation. These cars ain't cheap.

First, thanks to hybob on the indications that I would not loose my deposit and it could be applied to a Touring.

Second, in reply to copper's question, I originally ordered the Touring 5/2021. I was (and still am not) convinced that the added HP, 100mi range, Alcantara, leather upgrade and message seats are worth the 27.3K difference. (I am not sure where you get 21.5K, since the Touring price is $111,700, including ZR paint, DDP, Glass canopy, and surreal sound, while the GT is 139K). I appreciate everyone has different needs, means, and valuations of the upgrade that the GT represents; so not trying to make any judgements about others' preferences.

First, thanks to hybob on the indications that I would not loose my deposit and it could be applied to a Touring.

Second, in reply to copper's question, I originally ordered the Touring 5/2021. I was (and still am not) convinced that the added HP, 100mi range, Alcantara, leather upgrade and message seats are worth the 27.3K difference. (I am not sure where you get 21.5K, since the Touring price is $111,700, including ZR paint, DDP, Glass canopy, and surreal sound, while the GT is 139K). I appreciate everyone has different needs, means, and valuations of the upgrade that the GT represents; so not trying to make any judgements about others' preferences.
I think you will be happy with a Touring. There are many reasons why one would go up or down a trim and it all comes down to value on what is on each. I wanted the GT for a range. I was asked by Lucid if I wanted to upgrade to a Dream, but the value was not there for me to warrant the upgrade. The only reason I would consider AGT over a AT would be range. If that is not a consideration, I too, would reserve a Touring over a GT. For me the range is critical as we plan to use the car for long trips.

No worries and totally understand the reason for downgrading. Numbers were me doing the math wrong :p

The battery size is the biggest difference in cost. I like to think of it like this:

When Lucid gets the V2G or V2H going, 10kwh battery backup system was going to cost me 12k to install. With the 118kwh in the Lucid pack, the car is already worth $140k.

I know it's not really the way to look it but that's just a bonus justification haha

Last edited:
The battery size is the biggest difference in cost. I like to think of it like this:

When Lucid gets the V2G or V2H going, 10kwh system was going to cost me 12k to install. With the 118kwh in the Lucid pack, the car is already worth $140k.

I know it's not really the way to look it but that's just a bonus justification haha
Interesting. Especially since I can charge for free at work!

When Lucid gets the V2G or V2H going, 10kwh system was going to cost me 12k to install. With the 118kwh in the Lucid pack, the car is already worth $140k.

A bit off-topic here, but what is this 10kWh system? Is it just the cost of a 10kWh battery or is the 12K the cost of the entire PV system with battery?

A bit off-topic here, but what is this 10kWh system? Is it just the cost of a 10kWh battery or is the 12K the cost of the entire PV system with battery?
Sorry I edited my post. It was a battery backup system to supplement the PV system we had put in.

Sorry I edited my post. It was a battery backup system to supplement the PV system we had put in.
It's interesting how much the price varies. In 2018, I installed a 4.95kW rooftop system (15 Panasonic panels) plus 10kWh LG-Chem battery - all for 13.5K out of pocket. That is after federal rebates and CA's SGIP program (for battery rebates). The installation is more involved than a typical solar system since wires needed to be pulled from the main panel to a backup panel (a few ciruits kept alive during power outages).

It's interesting how much the price varies. In 2018, I installed a 4.95kW rooftop system (15 Panasonic panels) plus 10kWh LG-Chem battery - all for 13.5K out of pocket. That is after federal rebates and CA's SGIP program (for battery rebates). The installation is more involved than a typical solar system since wires needed to be pulled from the main panel to a backup panel (a few ciruits kept alive during power outages).
Yea, if I qualified for SGIP I would have put in the battery system as well. By contrast we put in a 20kw system, 45 panels and it was 50k without.

Yea, if I qualified for SGIP I would have put in the battery system as well. By contrast we put in a 20kw system, 45 panels and it was 50k without.

$50K for a 15kw system with 35 panels in Massachusetts. But we’re farther away from the sun than you all are in California.

How? I’m definitely game to get one, but can’t do solar.
I originally signed up in June 2020 when the program was just launched and the install finished about a year ago. We were able to get them for free because we're on well water. The other qualifying situation was having a medical device that couldn't lose power in the event of a power shutoff (ie CPAP or infusion pumps). I'm pretty sure they've changed the program so there's a subsidy of the costs instead of it being fully reimbursed. The link @hydbob gave has all the details.

Back