Polestar P10 engine

Dortreo

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
While researching Polestar, I came across an article on their upcoming P10 engine. It should definitely be in their Polestar 5 model, which is supposed to debut in 2024 to 2025. The engine generates about 450 kw (~600 hp) with a motor that is 36x50x64cm and a two speed gearbox. Those dimensions are larger than Lucid's engine but not by much. And HP numbers are comparable.

It'll be interesting to see how the electric engine space develops over the next few years. But it's also amazing to see how well Lucid's engine does in comparison and how advanced it is compared with everything else on the market and in the future.

I've been watching polestar closely too. I believe they'll be the other significant competitor to Tesla in 3 years, mainly because of their bonded aluminum architecture and the P10 engine.

The P10 having ~600hp is interesting since they also did a two-speed transmission. I'm not sure why they needed it as it provides little benefit beyond added midrange punch (torque can drop off at higher speeds) but this can be resolved simply by having a higher base gearing. The only other multi-speed EV is the Taycan to my knowledge, and it looks like Porsche is abandoning that with the Macan EV.

That said, the Polestar 2 is a little pocket rocket and was the first EV I ever considered. The 3 and 5 will probably be excellent entrants into the space as well, and the 02 looks epic. They're definitely breaking out as an EV brand.

Back