Phone Charger works great but phone overheats and shuts down charging

Bill P AZ

Cars
Touring
2023 Lucid Touring - iPhone XS - Phone charger gets very hot then the phone stops charging. Is there a solution for this?

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this same problem with an iPhone 14 pro. It overheats and then stops charging. Not sure what the issue is but it happens frequently.

Same problem with Pixel 7 Pro with the case on and off. It's frustrating when going on a long drive and expecting the phone to be decently charged but instead you get a hot phone with 🌡️ on screen.

I think this might be a Wireless CarPlay thing. Seems to heat the phone up way more than usual.

Hopefully Apple can make it more power efficient in a future update.

For me, I usually keep my phone pretty well charged, so as long as it stays at the same charge I started with, I’m generally okay.

It’s probably due to limited air circulation and the fact that when CarPlay is running the phone is constantly processing.

Hyundai / Kia actually have air vents in their wireless charging pads to help prevent this.

It’s probably due to limited air circulation and the fact that when CarPlay is running the phone is constantly processing.

Hyundai / Kia actually have air vents in their wireless charging pads to help prevent this.
That’s one reason why I didn’t design the puck embedded in my wedge.

I think this might be a Wireless CarPlay thing. Seems to heat the phone up way more than usual.

Hopefully Apple can make it more power efficient in a future update.

For me, I usually keep my phone pretty well charged, so as long as it stays at the same charge I started with, I’m generally okay.
This overheat happens to me and I don't use carplay

I test drove a Lucid Touring yesterday. I noticed the left phone charger worked with my Pixel; however, the right phone charger did not. When I asked the Studio Advisor, he did not have the answer until he tried to charge his iPhone on the right phone charger, and it did not charge. Is this a fact or fluke?

I test drove a Lucid Touring yesterday. I noticed the left phone charger worked with my Pixel; however, the right phone charger did not. When I asked the Studio Advisor, he did not have the answer until he tried to charge his iPhone on the right phone charger, and it did not charge. Is this a fact or fluke?
There is no wireless charging on the right (passenger) side.

Yep. Used to happen on my Telluride (now sold). When wirelessly charging and performing CP, the phone would overheat and I'd get the temp symbol. I'd have to hold up the phone to the AC vents to cool it down so it would turn back on! Some newer vehicles have fans in their charging pads. Haven't experienced this yet on the Air as I use Bobby's wedge with a charging puck. Probably enough air flow around the phone to prevent overheating.

A) By design there is not charger on the right. B) Lucid told me not to push the phone all the way in. Just set it gently in so it get’s enough airflow not to overheat.

A) By design there is not charger on the right. B) Lucid told me not to push the phone all the way in. Just set it gently in so it get’s enough airflow not to overheat.
True but without shoving my iPhone 12 Pro Max all the way in, it wouldn't charge. Hence the wedge.

True but without shoving my iPhone 12 Pro Max all the way in, it wouldn't charge. Hence the wedge.
This has changed. The issue is that the original chargers were designed with the iPhone 12 in mind (because that was the release at the time) and then after iPhone 12 Apple decided to move the coil, and Lucid hadn't adjusted for that. Newer-built versions of the car addressed this issue by moving the coil slightly.

This has changed. The issue is that the original chargers were designed with the iPhone 12 in mind (because that was the release at the time) and then after iPhone 12 Apple decided to move the coil, and Lucid hadn't adjusted for that. Newer-built versions of the car addressed this issue by moving the coil slightly.
I really wish it was just a flat space you can lay down. I wouldn't even mine if it was the space under the pilot panel after you retract it up, there's a nice flat looking area perfectly sized for a big phone.. But nope
Also I think they needed 1 more usb c up front for radars and other accessories as well as 2 chargers for phone.

I got a Uniden R7 and got the hardwire kit, still haven't accessed the fuse box, but until then I'm using a usb c to cigarette lighter plug

Back