Peace out and culture adventure ahead

When I got to SF to rent an EV, this was my experience with Hertz. It seems Hertz employee didn’t want me to rent an EV.

Me: I like to drive an EV.
Hertz: Why? Hybrid is just as good with more winter range.
Me: But I just want an EV and what do you have garage?
Hertz: We got all kinds, but they are just bad deal bc expensive to maintain. People come to SF all hate EVs, where are you from?
Me: Texas and I drive EV back home.
Hertz: What for?! Gas is so cheap in Texas.
Me: … 😐 Cheaper than sunlight?
Hertz: … 😑

Other than my backpack wouldn’t fit in frunk, it feels alright for its price.

Attachments

• 1A7D1E17-EB36-4D75-AA39-EE7C5500156D.jpeg
    1A7D1E17-EB36-4D75-AA39-EE7C5500156D.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 9E1057B0-9ACB-4405-A414-CB54BE0BB653.jpeg
    9E1057B0-9ACB-4405-A414-CB54BE0BB653.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
  • A5D00F61-5322-4122-BA76-E969B761A38B.jpeg
    A5D00F61-5322-4122-BA76-E969B761A38B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • D7CCA67E-D8D5-47CB-9C29-8D5FFF283153.jpeg
    D7CCA67E-D8D5-47CB-9C29-8D5FFF283153.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • DDFECCB8-C5FD-43E1-A44F-79B8823FE6C4.jpeg
    DDFECCB8-C5FD-43E1-A44F-79B8823FE6C4.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 41
Yeah, the frunk in the EV6 and 9 are pretty useless and Rivian beats the crap out of both of them in those areas. The EV6 feels CONSIDERABLY less high end than the EV9, which is a compliment to the 9 and not dragging the 6!

Yeah the EV6 I had as a rental in Colorado was a decent EV, far better than a Kona or Niro, Hertz didn’t try to talk me out of it. I hated how it doesn’t stay in iPedal mode, and that you have to physically turn the car off and on with a button, took me half a day to figure out why it was beeping at me when I got out of the car, because I didn’t press the off button, and how you stop charging is annoying. The preconditioning on it is also bad, it won’t do it unless you put a fast charger into navigation and the navigation on the car is terrible, I just stuck with CarPlay the whole time. But it drove and handled well, was fairly comfortable, had good space, good climate control, and great efficiency. About half of this efficiency was due to going down the Rocky Mountains but still that was in near freezing temps for part of it, I was very impressed with that aspect of the EV6. View attachment IMG_2172.jpeg

Yeah the EV6 I had as a rental in Colorado was a decent EV, far better than a Kona or Niro, Hertz didn’t try to talk me out of it. I hated how it doesn’t stay in iPedal mode, and that you have to physically turn the car off and on with a button, took me half a day to figure out why it was beeping at me when I got out of the car, because I didn’t press the off button, and how you stop charging is annoying. The preconditioning on it is also bad, it won’t do it unless you put a fast charger into navigation and the navigation on the car is terrible, I just stuck with CarPlay the whole time. But it drove and handled well, was fairly comfortable, had good space, good climate control, and great efficiency. About half of this efficiency was due to going down the Rocky Mountains but still that was in near freezing temps for part of it, I was very impressed with that aspect of the EV6. View attachment 18381
Agree on pretty much all counts, except for us i-pedal stays on. In addition, the handling of key buttons on the dash is horrific in both the EV6 and 9, the 6 has that terrible switching touchscreen between ac and key buttons(home, media, etc) while the 9 has some infuriatingly placed haptic buttons that you need to press in just the right way. Lucid handled this area PERFECTLY!

When I got to SF to rent an EV, this was my experience with Hertz. It seems Hertz employee didn’t want me to rent an EV.

Hertz: We got all kinds, but they are just bad deal bc expensive to maintain. People come to SF all hate EVs, where are you from?
Wait, you’re in my hood?! Wanna drive down to the South Bay and we can grab a coffee? How long are you in town?

We can invite @AirDoll, @DeaneG, @LucidDropkick and all the other Bay Area peeps :)

Well Tesla2.0, let's just say you are not the Texan that the San Francisco Hertz rental agent was expecting!!!

Wait, you’re in my hood?! Wanna drive down to the South Bay and we can grab a coffee? How long are you in town?

We can invite @AirDoll, @DeaneG, @LucidDropkick and all the other Bay Area peeps :)
Have to do rain check. I’m already in Millbrae airport. I’m here for a quickie to visit relatives and silly touristy stuff. Where are all the people?! This is not what I remembered, Fisherman’s Wharf and Chinatown are not as packed as they’re used to be.

Yeah the EV6 I had as a rental in Colorado was a decent EV, far better than a Kona or Niro, Hertz didn’t try to talk me out of it. I hated how it doesn’t stay in iPedal mode, and that you have to physically turn the car off and on with a button, took me half a day to figure out why it was beeping at me when I got out of the car, because I didn’t press the off button, and how you stop charging is annoying. The preconditioning on it is also bad, it won’t do it unless you put a fast charger into navigation and the navigation on the car is terrible, I just stuck with CarPlay the whole time. But it drove and handled well, was fairly comfortable, had good space, good climate control, and great efficiency. About half of this efficiency was due to going down the Rocky Mountains but still that was in near freezing temps for part of it, I was very impressed with that aspect of the EV6. View attachment 18381
Yes, it kept beeping. I just don’t have habit to press button to start/turn-off. The car has too many physical buttons. It look noisy with so many buttons everywhere. I do like its instrument cluster with instantaneous efficiency from 0 to 8 kWh. I didn’t like Navigation UI, but graphic is alright. I still think this is good EV at its price to get the job done.

Have to do rain check. I’m already in Millbrae airport. I’m here for a quickie to visit relatives and silly touristy stuff. Where are all the people?! This is not what I remembered, Fisherman’s Wharf and Chinatown are not as packed as they’re used to be.
Half the people are in multi-million dollar homes or $3,000 a month studio apartments, and the other half‘s homes are a Starbucks bathroom where sometimes they leave used needles behind. Visit Seattle or Portland, it’s even more of a stark contrast. Yeah LA has the sidewalk tent cities but that’s more because it’s approaching Terminator/BladeRunner status, mostly nobody is going to cause you trouble in LA. In SF, Seattle and Portland, at least in my experience, those who are on the margins are much angrier, aggressive and confrontational about it.

Half the people are in multi-million dollar homes or $3,000 a month studio apartments, and the other half‘s homes are a Starbucks bathroom where sometimes they leave used needles behind. Visit Seattle or Portland, it’s even more of a stark contrast. Yeah LA has the sidewalk tent cities but that’s more because it’s approaching Terminator/BladeRunner status, mostly nobody is going to cause you trouble in LA. In SF, Seattle and Portland, at least in my experience, those who are on the margins are much angrier, aggressive and confrontational about it.

After I drove around, I decided to park car in garage and just use Uber and open top bus to save parking hassle and avoid windows get smashed. I did got my windows smashed in SF a few years ago. I’ve heard it is now even worse.

If I had to pick one paragraph do display LA, it would be this 🤣

You were also here while it was raining a ton, so that definitely had people inside too.

You were also here while it was raining a ton, so that definitely had people inside too.

Thursday and Friday didn’t rain. I can see it’s low tourist season. Fisherman’s Wharf, Lombard St, Ghirardelli Sq, Chinatown, Union Sq and Golden Gate Park were quiet. I have not walked so much in a year. It was a good workout.

Btw, I saw many Waymo Robotaxi, couple CyberTruck and 4-5 Rivian, yet spot a Lucid. 😣

I just saw a Model 3 Highland, its a very beautiful car! My neighborhood does have a Tesla addiction, so not shocking to see how we have one of the first highlands in the US (@Bus Driver should relate).

Back