Neurio

Referral Code: I79OY1W7
Verified Owner
Cars
Matte Grey Air GT
DE Number
Referral Code
I79OY1W7
We seem to have hijacked the SD store thread. Let's post here about PPF, ceramic coating, and tinting instead.

I have the shop I use over in Fremont, CA ready for as soon as I get my DE. They did an immaculate job on my Taycan and will be getting the same PPF+Ceramic done on my red DE (They are not exactly cheap though, but they are worth it)

I have not used PPF on any of my previous vehicles but intend to do so for my AGT. For the novices on this thread, can you give us a ballpark cost for a full car PPF with Xpel +Ceramic, and do you also intend on putting protection on the large windscreen ( I don't mean tinting)? thx

I only have a few options around me, so I'm somewhat limited in my choices unless I want to drive 2+ hours to get closer to LA.

I'm think I'm going to go with a matte PPF because I think the Air would look really nice in matte. My options are to stay local and use XPEL Stealth PPF with either XPEL Fusion Plus or Ceramic Pro coating, or to drive ~1.5 hrs to go with STEK Dynomatt with GTechniq ceramic coating.

I haven't done any paint protection in the past, so I don't have a trusted installer. The reviews for both installers are very good. The local guy has done a number of Teslas, but it doesn't look like he's done as many luxury cars based on his online pics when compared to the guy who does STEK.

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the products or installers? Thanks in advance!

I have not used PPF on any of my previous vehicles but intend to do so for my AGT. For the novices on this thread, can you give us a ballpark cost for a full car PPF with Xpel +Ceramic, and do you also intend on putting protection on the large windscreen ( I don't mean tinting)? thx
The quote I got for XPEL full body was $5150 plus $850 for ceramic, so $6000 total

The Dynomatt is $6650. Not sure how much the ceramic on top of that would be, other than at least $500.

I was thinking of putting something like Dynoflex on the windshield, but it loses its protection if you use your wipers a lot. From what I read, windshield protection is good for weekend cars, but not daily drivers because of this. It's very dusty here and I need to clean my windshield almost daily, so I decided against it. I also have full windshield replacement coverage with my insurance, so I'm less worried.

I'm going with Opti-Coat Pro3 ceramic coating with no PPF. We used an earlier-generation Opti-Coat on our 2015 Tesla, and the paint looked new when we traded the car this year for another Tesla on which we put Opti-Coat Pro3.

Unlike other ceramic coatings which use silicon dioxide, Opti-Coat uses silicon carbide which has a MOHS scale rating of 9 (the highest hardness rating for resistance to scratching) and is impervious to virtually any substance your car will encounter. The Pro3 version is a four-coat application that bonds with the car's top coat at the molecular level and builds to an 8 micron thickness.

It won't protect from rock chips or door dings as much as a PPF, but it can be touched up along with the paint and does not pose the discoloration and peeling issues that sometimes plagues even the best films in Florida's harsh sun and salt climate.

The Opti-Coat Pro3 cost starts around $3000.

. . . compared to the guy who does STEK.

STEK is highly rated so, when I was still considering a PPF, I called the local installer who is certified by STEK. He said that, while he will still install STEK if I wanted, he prefers to use XPEL film. He said that STEK is a good film other than some yellowing problems in south Florida's intense sun, and he's had to do too many warranty repairs/replacements.

The quote I got for XPEL full body was $5150 plus $850 for ceramic, so $6000 total

The Dynomatt is $6650. Not sure how much the ceramic on top of that would be, other than at least $500.
thx for the info. Does the typical full-body coverage include the windshield or is that protected by the ceramic only or is there a 3rd option? I am just a little worried about what would happen if I ended up with a noticeable chip or crack on that large single plane windshield.

thx for the info. Does the typical full-body coverage include the windshield or is that protected by the ceramic only or is there a 3rd option? I am just a little worried about what would happen if I ended up with a noticeable chip or crack on that large single plane windshield.
Just the painted surfaces for the full body PPF.

SmartSelect_20211225-172650_Chrome.jpg

Stek dynoshield+ cquartz finest is about 10K at the place in Fremont CA. This is for 100% full custom wrap, not just front/sides/etc.

For gloss installation we prefer Stek DYNOshield Paint Protection Film for superior gloss, minimal orange peel, and less film defects than other glossy films. For Satin/Matte we prefer XPEL Stealth. Best value we offer here is a 100% full custom wrap and cost $9500 (add $1k for doing XPEL Stealth) out the door. That would include the CQuartz Finest Reserve prep work and coating on top of all the film areas, wheels, brake calipers, glass, and trim. Highly recommended if you are looking for the ultimate protection.

-

-IfyOhrKGMbyTNJq9Oq_TRhA1_61t_yaj4svLJn0P_gnx_h0Ha478wAAmN-0K5u5TsU=s0-d-e1-ft

Here's the breakdown on CQuartz Finest Reserve. (forgive my copy and paste. I send this out a lot).
My prep work prior to coating includes:

-Paint correction, to remove surface defects and brighten the paint up to the highest possible level
-Removing and cleaning wheel barrels(inside) and faces.
-Cleaning painted calipers(if they are painted),
-Deep cleaning fender liners,
-Polishing all glass,
-Polishing all metal,
-Polishing the light covers
-Deep cleaning the plastic trim around the bottom of the car and wheel arches.

The coating application covers:

-CQuartz Finest Reserve on all the painted surfaces IR cured for maximum hardness and gloss.
-CQuartz Finest Reserve on all the wheels and calipers.
-FlyByForte glass coating on all exterior glass.
-Car Pro Dlux trim coating on the plastic trim around the car, prevents plastic from fading or looking old.

thx for the info. I don't want to perseverate on this and maybe there is an obvious answer I am missing, but I am curious if it is also possible to cover the front windshield with a protective film. Given its size on the Lucid and its design features which make replacing it a challenge, it seems like a good idea does it not? But none of you on this thread have mentioned it specifically.

Stek dynoshield+ cquartz finest is about 10K at the place in Fremont CA. This is for 100% full custom wrap, not just front/sides/etc.
That’s about what I paid ($10k) for full wrap with Xpel Ultimate Plus, Xpel Fusion Plus, & Xpel XR Plus in the San Diego area but also included interior coating and some window tinting. It can be a lot cheaper with only a front end Wrap and ceramic coating everywhere else. I think the air‘s beautiful front end could be very susceptible to rock & bug marks on long road trips.

thx for the info. I don't want to perseverate on this and maybe there is an obvious answer I am missing, but I am curious if it is also possible to cover the front windshield with a protective film. Given its size on the Lucid and its design features which make replacing it a challenge, it seems like a good idea does it not? But none of you on this thread have mentioned it specifically.

I have heard on other boards that some people who have coated their windshield had bad issues with their wipers working properly. You might want to talk to PPF installer about the pros & cons of installing film.

Car Wash (NT)
Customer car wash - TBD
1 35.00 35.00
XPEL Full Nose (T50)
XPEL Ultimate Clear Bra - Full Nose Wrap
1 2,875.00 2,875.00T
Window Tint (T50)
XPEL Prime XR Plus - 70% all side
windows
1 550.00 550.00T
Window Tint (T50)
XPEL Prime XR Plus - 70% windshield
1 700.00 700.00T
Window Tint (T50)
XPEL Prime XR Plus - 70% sunroof
1 500.00 500.00T
Vehicle (NT)
2022 Lucid Air Dream
1 0.00 0.00
SUBTOTAL 4,660.00
TAX (9.25%) 213.91
TOTAL $4,873.91

It was a pleasure meeting with you here at the shop earlier! We’ve listed the options for your vehicle, if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

CAR WASHING

We prefer to receive cars that are clean and ready to go, in order to stay on schedule and get the car back to you as promised! While our installers do prep the surface for each job, some cars will require a car wash prior to starting to avoid scratching or imperfections…just know that if we need to wash or do an unplanned paint correction, it can push back the original delivered date. For this we do offer onsite car washes for a flat fee of $35.

PAINT PROTECTION FILM

We use XPEL Ultimate Plus which is the latest paint protection film (PPF) by XPEL! This paint protection film has a 10 year warranty, self-healing properties, 8mil thickness with clarity to make it look like nothing was ever installed on your car. PPF is designed to help prevent rock chips from damaging your painted surfaces, however, it is not indestructible. We offer both the standard gloss finish as well as the optional satin (STEALTH) finish. In addition to XPEL, we also have SunTek Ultra if you prefer as well.

The process - We first start with the XPEL vehicle template but then “roll our edges” wherever possible which is why our install time may be longer and our pricing a little higher than other shops but this allows for a much cleaner install. We’re also known for removing simple items such as door handles, mirrors…etc to give you a more customized installation. An average “full nose” installation takes 8-10 hours, whereas a “full car” can take 3-5 days depending on size and difficulty of the car. We always want our cars to spend an extra night with us so the film has that little extra time to dry and allow us to do one more inspection before you take delivery, we want you to be shocked by what you don’t see! (We also offer FULL custom PPF on most vehicles - please ask for specific pricing)

Pricing & Options: 2022 Lucid Air Dream

(As of right now the pricing for custom PPF would be 25% more than the pricing listed below - Once XPEL has a template though, the pricing below should be accurate)

Full Car Coverage (all the exterior painted and carbon fiber areas are covered for the ultimate in protection) NOTE: The standard Full Body does NOT include the rear diffuser. Some vehicles have carbon fiber, gloss black or textured plastic rear diffusers…please let us know which option you have so we quote you correctly!
$6700 (or $7035 for STEALTH)

Full Nose (front bumper + hood + front fenders + mirror backs + headlights)
$2300

A-La-Carte Options:

Full Front Bumper
(bumper only)
$700

Rocker Panels (usually runs from behind the front wheel to in front of the rear wheel)
$750 (Medium rockers)

Rear Bumper Top / Luggage Area (6” tall x width of trunk opening to stop scratching when removing items from your trunk)
$175

Full Rear Bumper (not so much for rock chips, but does help when parking in tight spots agains the “rubbing” of bumpers)
$700

Ceramic Coating Over The Top of Your Clear Bra
$ Rates vary depending on how much clear bra you have applied - ask for pricing

WINDOW TINTING & WINDSHIELD PROTECTION

We are proud to offer XPEL Prime for our window tinting services! Why XPEL? Not all films are created equal and this is one situation where you really do get what you pay for. All window tint blocks UV rays, however, some other manufacturers out there tout this as revolutionary...it is if that's the only thing you have going for you! Infrared or IR blocking films are the best on the market and because of this we offer a couple of different options from XPEL:

• XPEL Prime XR Plus (Lifetime Nationwide Warranty, Infrared Blocking from 94-98%, Shades ranging from 5% (limo) to 70% (almost clear), Heat Blocking from 52% - 71% TSER)
  • XPEL Prime XR (Lifetime Nationwide Warranty, Infrared Blocking from 83-88%, Shades ranging from 5% (limo) to 70% (almost clear), Heat Blocking from 49% - 66% TSER)

4 Door Sedan (All side windows - rear window is NA for this car)
  • XPEL Prime XR Plus - $550
  • XPEL Prime XR - $400

Windshield Tint (We recommend 70% tint…very light)
  • XPEL Prime XR Plus - $700 (no warranty due to the size)

Please note - with either windshield tint and/or windshield protection, there may be a small amount of distortion when staring AT the windshield...typically you will be looking "through" the windshield but it is still something to note. This will also vary depending on the car and tolerance per user. Feel free to ask us more about this!

GLANZ CERAMIC COATINGS & PAINT CORRECTIONS

A little backstory about our Glanz Ceramic coatings and how it came about! We used to promote Ceramic Pro and other brands of ceramic coatings but what we saw over the years is that they kept making changes to their product line, making them easier to install. Although it made it quicker and easier for the professional installer to apply, we felt that it compromised the quality of the product.

Back in 2016, we were contacted by one of the largest and oldest ceramic coating companies out of Frankfurt, Germany that coats a majority of industrial equipment (trains, metro buses, buildings…etc) in which they wanting to collaborate to create an incredibly durable ceramic coating for high end vehicles. The process begins and after numerous testings, we finally had it all dialed in. The product was sent out to an independent lab for testing and after receiving our reports back, we finally realized that we achieved what we were looking for…the best coating on the market!

Ryan, The owner of PFS (with nearly 2 decades of paint protection knowledge) partnered with the help from other industry leading experts, and put their minds together to finally release a full line of Glanz Ceramic coatings products for the industry! Over the last couple of years, we’ve had it in the hands of many high-end detailers around the world getting feedback to ensure it was truly the best. More recently, we started offering it to even more select shops here in the US. Most of our users were past or current users of Ceramic Pro, Modesta and G-Techniq and have been very happy with the conversion.

So why are the Glanz Ceramic coatings only 1-2 layers of base coat when all the other brands say they offer up to 10 layers….well, that’s just “creative marketing”. If you know how chemical bonding works then it’s easier to understand that if you create the correct proportion of Sio2 (ceramic) and solvents, you can make a single layer of Ceramic instead of doing multiple layers to achieve the same micron thickness of Ceramic. The other companies make it easier for the installers to apply by adding more solvents which requires more layers because of the high solvent content that evaporates each layer. With our Glanz line, you still get the same protection but without all of the “sales fluff”…like we said, we designed it from a quality of product mindset and not a marketing angle.

We know you have many choices in the industry, but we hope that you feel comfortable putting a product on your vehicle that was completely developed for the Hyper-Car and Super-Car industry…the highest standards that is great on any vehicle.

Ceramic Coatings For:
Painted / Clear-coated surfaces
Paint protection film
Wrap vinyl
Chrome
Leather & Pleather
Plastics
Carpet
Upholstery
Rubber trim
Wheels
Calipers

Why have Glanz Ceramic coating installed?
  • Protects your investment and retains vehicles resale value
  • High Gloss and Depth (Looks New All the Time!)
  • Less Maintenance, washing is quicker and easier plus no need to wax your vehicle
  • Protects against UV and Oxidation
  • Enhances protection and reduces staining when installed over Paint Protection Films
  • Helps prevent staining on wrapped vehicles and makes it easier to keep clean

Glanz Ceramic Package Options (pricing does NOT include any paint correction or prep - we need to see your vehicle to evaluate)

Paint correction & preparation work is usually required before we can apply the Ceramic Coatings - in order to give you an exact price, we would need to see the vehicle so we can evaluate the current condition of the paint. Once you’ve installed the Ceramic Coatings, any imperfection left behind is usually magnified and at that point is too late to remove unless we start the process over. Below are some pricing examples, but the best thing to do is stop in for a quick inspection to determine exactly what is needed.

Paint Correction Example Pricing

Pricing can vary by vehicle size and amount of damage to the existing paint - we require a vehicle inspection to give you an accurate price quote)
  • 1 Step quick buff/polish (usually only on brand new cars or cars less than 1 month old)
    • $450
  • 2 Step paint correction to remove some deep scratches and paint imperfections
    • $650
  • 3 Step paint correction to remove some deep scratches, paint imperfections as well as spider webbing
    • $850
  • 4-5 Step paint correction to remove major scratches and paint imperfections (Cars 1-2 Years old)
    • $1000+

Glanz Ceramic over Paint - Based on full car
5 year warranty (must come in for annual maintenance - see more info below)
  • 1 layer of Glanz Base Coat
  • 1 layer of Glanz Top Coat
  • 1 layer of Glanz Plastic/Trim Coating for exterior trim pieces
  • 1 layer of Glanz Wheel faces
  • 1 layer of Glanz Glass Coating
    • 4 Door Sedan (like BMW 3 Series) - $900

Glanz Ceramic over PPF or Vinyl - Based on full car
No Warranty (this is an extra layer of protection that will help your PPF or Vinyl stay cleaner longer and make for easier upkeep)
    • 1-Step Coating designed specifically for Paint Protection Film and Vinyl films
    • Closes pores of the films to help prevent staining
    • Easier to clean
    • Bugs remove easier
    • Recommend using PFS Ceramic Spray monthly to keep top coat refreshed
  • 4 Door Sedan (like BMW 3 Series) - $500

Wheels-Off Coating
No warranty (this is an extra layer of protection that will help your wheels or calipers stay cleaner longer and make for easier upkeep)
  • 2 layer of Glanz Wheel / Industrial coating
  • 1 layer of Glanz Top Coat (not on matte finishes)
  • $400 for wheels off cleaning and coating - not calipers
  • $600 if you choose to include the calipers (Also includes steam cleaning and coating with Glanz Industrial)

Interior Ceramic Coating
No warranty (this is an extra layer of protection that will help your interior stay cleaner longer and make for easier upkeep)
• 1 Layer is airbrushed over the entire interior surface
  • 4 Door Sedan (like BMW 3 Series) - $550

Annual Maintenance - Required for "Ceramic over Paint"
As a reminder, while ceramic coatings help tremendously with protection and ease of aftercare maintenance, they are not bulletproof! They still require weekly car washing and normal maintenance to uphold the warranties. To get the best from your ceramic coating, we require an annual inspection and maintenance which costs $300. During this process, we will overlook the condition of the existing coating and address any potential issues in the 9H base coat. Once car has been inspected and it’s ready for the final step, a new fresh layer of Top Coat is then reapplied over the vehicle leaving the paint hydrophobic and slick for another full year to come! This process takes place in-house here at our Orange County location and typically takes 1 full business day. (A next-day pickup is required to allow plenty of curing time).

Please note - if the vehicle is dirty or extremely scratched then there may be additional charges to get the surface prepped.

We highly recommend our PFS/Glanz aftercare line of products. This makes taking care of your ceramic coated cars (or even non-coated cars) so much easier!

PFS/Glanz Aftercare Line
We carry a full line of PFS/Glanz Aftercare products that are available for purchase in-house at anytime and is also available for purchase on our website!
(Shipping to the lower 48 states available upon request)

• Quick Detail Spray - $20
  • Waterless Wash - $20
  • Ceramic Spray - $40
  • Leather & Interior Cleaner - $15
  • Glass Cleaner - $10
  • Ceramic Soap (Bucket Wash) - $25
  • Ceramic Soap (Foam Cannon) - $25

MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONS

Pricing & Options:
2022 Lucid Air Dream

Powder Coating of Wheels - Gloss Black or Satin Black (4 day process)
$1000

Calipers Painting - Includes new logo! (pick up following day)
$1000

Painted Emblems - Includes us removing/painting/reinstallation - pick up following day)
$80 per emblem

STANDARD LABOR RATES

For any separate service requests that require removal and/or installation that do not require any material, we do have certified in-house technicians that can perform the service at a standard hourly rate!

Removal of Existing Film; PPF, Vinyl Wrap, Window Tint, ClearPlex, etc
$150 per hour

Removal/Installation of Customer Provided OEM or Aftermarket Parts; carbon fiber parts, bumpers, front lips, rear spoilers, rear diffusers, etc
$150 per hour

Protective Film Solutions has a lot to offer, see all our services below:
  • Window Tinting & Windshield Film
  • Ceramic Coatings & Paint Corrections
  • Paint Protection Film (PPF/Clear Bra)
  • Full Vehicle Color Change Wraps
  • Advertising Wraps for Fleet or Commercial Vehicles
  • Chrome Blackout Packages
  • Stripe Designs and Installation
  • Graphic Design
  • Powder Coating Wheels
  • Skid Plates
  • Radar Detector Installation
  • Vorsteiner Wheels & Body Kit

Check us out online for pics of cars we’ve done, pics of our shop and some great reviews from our happy customers!

**** PLEASE NOTE ****

When searching for a company to work on your vehicle, it involves more than just someone that can buy film and attempt to put it on a car. There's so much more to think about, for example:

• Are they insured? And does their insurance policy cover the value of the types of cars they're working on?
  • How long have they been in business?
  • Just because they're "factory trained" doesn't mean they've done very many cars - ensure that you're getting someone that has experience on a car of your level and you're not part of their "learning curve”!
  • Have you checked Yelp, FaceBook or automotive forums about their reputation?
  • Is it a 1 person operation...what happens if that 1 person is hurt, sick or is so busy that you may wait weeks to get any warranty work completed?
  • Do they have an actual shop/facility, or are they operating out of their vehicle (mobile)?
  • Do they have a valid business license?
  • Does the other company do background checks on their installers?
  • Do they carry workers compensation or have a good valid insurance policy to protect you and your vehicle if something should happen to the car while the film is being installed? If not, then you're 100% liable for any damage to your vehicle AND if they get hurt while at your location, you're also 100% liable if they don’t have the proper insurance!
  • If they drive your car for any reason, are they operating with a valid drivers license and does their policy include the value of your car and also driving someone else’s car?

With Protective Film Solutions, you're covered on all the above....every license and insurance policy is available for your review upon request...just ask!

All pricing and scheduling is done strictly by email to avoid any miscommunication.
This price quote is for our Santa Ana (Orange County) location only.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Jason March | Operations Manager | Protective Film Solutions
3502 S. Susan St. Santa Ana, CA 92704

** 2x Winner - XPEL Paint Protection Dealer of the Year 2018 & 2019 **

This email pertains to our Orange County, CA location (949) 599-5964
For our NorCal/Redwood City, CA location please contact Kevin (415) 319-4442
For our Scottsdale, AZ location please contact Robbie (480) 609-3787

www.protectivefilmsolutions.com
Show quoted text

Regarding Current Scheduling…

For your request, I would need the car for 3 full days and currently we are booking about 6 weeks out. Here is an estimate per your request:

Please let know if you have any additional questions or if you are interested scheduling an appointment!

Thanks,

Jason March | Operations Manager | Protective Film Solutions
3502 S. Susan St. Santa Ana, CA 92704

** 2x Winner - XPEL Paint Protection Dealer of the Year 2018 & 2019 **

This email pertains to our Orange County, CA location (949) 599-5964
For our NorCal/Redwood City, CA location please contact Kevin (415) 319-4442
For our Scottsdale, AZ location please contact Robbie (480) 609-3787

www.protectivefilmsolutions.com
Show quoted text

Show quoted text

Sent an inquiry into Lucid regarding windshield protection and rock resistance. Here is the response I received.

“Our windshields are double-laminated to add extra protection around breaking and chipping, and the slope/slant of the windshield does also help with potentially reducing rock chips. There is a third-party option as well called dynoflex for windshields. It's basically an additional film that is placed over the windshield and does an amazing job for protection, but because of its thickness, it can add some minor texture when looking out. It doesn't bother most people but I like to make sure you're aware of that because if you if you focus on the glass, you will notice it.”

Sent an inquiry into Lucid regarding windshield protection and rock resistance. Here is the response I received.

“Our windshields are double-laminated to add extra protection around breaking and chipping, and the slope/slant of the windshield does also help with potentially reducing rock chips. There is a third-party option as well called dynoflex for windshields. It's basically an additional film that is placed over the windshield and does an amazing job for protection, but because of its thickness, it can add some minor texture when looking out. It doesn't bother most people but I like to make sure you're aware of that because if you if you focus on the glass, you will notice it.”
I considered the Dynoflex for a brief period, but as I read more about it, I realized it's not for me. Running the wipers can scratch the coating, which would defeat the purpose. With this is mind, I really think it's meant more for weekend cruisers than daily drivers. Where I live, there's a lot of dust kicked up from the wind and all the farming around here, so I need to clean my windshield at least daily. I have full windshield replacement coverage on my insurance, so I'm hoping that's good enough.

I considered the Dynoflex for a brief period, but as I read more about it, I realized it's not for me. Running the wipers can scratch the coating, which would defeat the purpose. With this is mind, I really think it's meant more for weekend cruisers than daily drivers. Where I live, there's a lot of dust kicked up from the wind and all the farming around here, so I need to clean my windshield at least daily. I have full windshield replacement coverage on my insurance, so I'm hoping that's good enough.
In Arizona, insurance companies have to provide 0 deductible glass replacement coverage. So maybe, I shouldn’t care. But, we have rocks, lots of them. I have to replace a windshield about every 18 months. Likely only place to ever get them is from Lucid. Lead time to get glass for a Lucid is an unknown. I would like to get something to protect the windshield, but haven’t yet found something that works in Arizona for more than 9 months. Gladly will accept suggestions.

Anyone have any experience with Gtechniq as a ceramic coating? The installer recommended to me uses that and says he prefers it to the Cquartz (I'm guessing because that what he's an authorized dealer in. He also suggests putting it on the windshield. Thanks as always.

Back